Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Some Wander Out
09-14-2014, 12:28 (This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 15:59 by csprenger.)
Taking Some Wander Out
I'm about finished with the project to take some of the wandering out of going down the road. Just have the Safe-T-Plus adjustment to complete...and align the steering wheel. Review the attached to get an understanding. The write up is not complete as I need to deal with the Safe-T-Plus and align the steering wheel. Will update the write after.

(09-14-2014 12:28)csprenger Wrote:  I'm about finished with the project to take some of the wandering out of going down the road. Just have the Safe-T-Plus adjustment to complete...and align the steering wheel. Review the attached to get an understanding. The write up is not complete as I need to deal with the Safe-T-Plus and align the steering wheel. Will update the write after.

Update: Adjusted the Safe-T-Plus and took the coach out for "Take The Wander Out" Test #2. The coach goes straight down the road. No pull left or right. I'm a happy camper. Still need to align the steering wheel and install the Anti-turn washers.

Update: I've finished the Take the Wander Out procedure. See the attached write up and photos.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage

.pdf  Take Some Wander Out.pdf (Size: 785.83 KB / Downloads: 617)

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2014, 20:54
RE: Taking Some Wander Out
That's great Curt. Thanks for the write-up and pics. You mentioned that the coach goes straight and that you have the Safe-T-Plus adjusted and centered. How are the brakes? Any left or right pull during hard braking?

My method for adjusting the Safe-T-Plus was given to me by George Morris: What you do is figure out which way the bus is pulling. Stop the bus, tweak the steering wheel in the direction that you must to keep the bus going straight, crawl under the front, loosen the U-bolts and let the Safe-T-Plus center itself on the steering cross bar. The amount of movement required is tiny, something like one thousandth's of an inch is all that's necessary to cause the Safe-T-Plus to pull in a given direction. Very sensitive. I've used this manual centering technique several times with good success.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-14-2014, 21:54
Curt, keep an eye on the temp of the steering ram. not sure if it will use hydraulic pressure to make a constant correction. but that was my theory with the fc owners having trouble with the over heating hydraulic system. I know constant lift on a tractor loader to overcome leaking internal seals in the rams cause major heat.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
09-26-2014, 16:04
Taking Out Wander...procedure revised. Last two paragraphs added. See PDF in post #1.

It's nice to have edit capability; allows maintaining the document in one place.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
[+] 1 user Likes csprenger's post
10-07-2014, 06:44
(09-26-2014 16:04)csprenger Wrote:  Taking Out Wander...procedure revised. Last two paragraphs added. See PDF in post #1.

It's nice to have edit capability; allows maintaining the document in one place.

So Curt, how did you center the steering wheel? Josams told me they couldn't. I find that odd.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
10-07-2014, 09:46
Ron , Josams seems to say that often " COULD NOT DO IT "

I do not think they wish to do any more than aligne the bus . I was told by Barry they make 1,000@ day in the Pit and must keep it moving . They are shorthanded and actively seeking a mechanic , this may have much to do with there unwillingness to fit our issues .

I have been there twice with the same complaint and left there twice being told the same as you " WE CAN NOT FIX IT "

well if you need it fixed I think we need to find a shop willing to dig in and "GER ER DONE " Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
10-07-2014, 11:22 (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:23 by csprenger.)
(10-07-2014 06:44)rrueckwald Wrote:  
(09-26-2014 16:04)csprenger Wrote:  Taking Out Wander...procedure revised. Last two paragraphs added. See PDF in post #1.

So Curt, how did you center the steering wheel? Josams told me they couldn't. I find that odd.

The steering wheel is mounted on 10 pins. Remove the horn button. Remove the three socket hex bolts (metric) that hold the steering wheel in place. Remove the round ring that the bolts go through. You now see the 10 pins. Pull up on the steering wheel and rotate the wheel 1 pin...two might be better. Reassemble by reversing the procedure. I doubt the wheel is entirely straight but close. I was going to go over to AZ and that would have been the test, but that got cancelled so no test yet.

If the above proves to be close, I'll call it close-e-nuff. Otherwise another 10th, or remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft and rotate the wheel.

I'll update the procedure after I know how this proves out.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
10-08-2014, 08:15
SPAM for Wednesday

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
[+] 1 user Likes ernie ekberg's post
10-08-2014, 08:24
(10-08-2014 08:15)ernie ekberg Wrote:  SPAM for Wednesday

Got him! Thanks Ernie. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2014, 10:31
What effect does the camber adjustment have on cornering, say a hard bridge corner on an interstate at 50 to 60 mph with reverse drainage on the road bed?

Morey Zuber
99LXi41

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)