Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LXi Radiators and CAC's
10-02-2014, 04:09
LXi Radiators and CAC's
David,

When you replaced your CAC and radiator, did you discover what years the parts you used covered? We have a newbee with a '98 LXi who is stranded here and needs a radiator. It is badly rusted and they are thinking of trying to repair it. I told him he should do new and do also the CAC at the same time.

The rad sticker on my '00 said "Radiator Specialties (Sacramento, CA 95828) Model Number RS-3266, Serial Number R003042-010, 10/22/99". It might be the same. I can take my bus over there to compare them visually.

I have no info on the CAC and can't find your thread with all those gorgeous pictures.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 09:20 (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014 23:08 by travelite.)
RE: LXi Radiators and CAC's
Hi Ron,

Great to hear from you. My records and files show that there was only one radiator produced for the entire range of LXi's. Built by Radiator Specialties, part number: RS3266

Here's an engineering diagram for Radiator Specialties CAC and RS3266 assembly:
WanderlodgeGurus->Document Library->Models->LXi->LXi_ChargeAirCoolerRadiatorAssy.pdf

I had the CAC custom made by Duralite. It has to be ordered. Part number and other info can be found here: http://wanderlodgegurus.com/Thread-LXi-D...Air-Cooler

Here's an engineering diagram for the CAC at: WanderlodgeGurus->Document Library->Models->LXi ->LXi_CAC_Duralite_Eng.pdf

I'll post of few pics of my engine compartment in a moment. Let me know if you need more help and please let us know how it turns out! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
10-02-2014, 20:16
Ron ,

when Albert, the PO had the Rad & CAC done in 2011 it was 13k ouch !!

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
10-02-2014, 23:02 (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014 23:19 by rrueckwald.)
Well, here's the whole story. When my friend (newbee) got here from Ann Arbor, I noticed soot on the engine compartment front bulkhead. A mirror on a long stick identified a 2" diameter whole after the first turn in the exhaust tube. Had there been long steep hills, he would probably have lost the bus to fire. Lucky. I helped him order tubes and muffler, and find a local truck shop that would do the job. The shop discovered the rad damage, but said nothing is leaking. The decision today was to install the exhaust system and get to Florida where there is more time to find CAC and rad parts, rather than get stuck here for 4 or 5 weeks and get into snow, ice, and salt.

So the pressure is off the CAC and rad for the moment. When we all get to Florida I'll help him get this underway, probably at Parliamant, or Coachcraft in Georgia if it gets too flakey. The parts info is crucial, so thanks for the info. Don't know why I couldn't find it. I'll post a picture of the 180 degree tube and the hole maybe tomorrow when I get over there.

(10-02-2014 20:16)al perna Wrote:  Ron ,

when Albert, the PO had the Rad & CAC done in 2011 it was 13k ouch !!

Al, I think he got ripped.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
10-03-2014, 04:48
Well, Murphy is involved. We ordered the exhaust tubes from ------- because he said he had them in stock. The turbo to the flex hose tube was the wrong part. He says 3-5 weeks to make the right one. We are tying up a bay at the truck service facility and they are not happy. We have to get Gary out of here in a few days. Need some more info.

David, I had BHTubes copy the exhaust tubes for my '95. They did well. I kind of remember you did, too. If so, do you have a BHTubes part number? It would be the same as the '98 I am sure. We may be able to get BHTubes to expedite and overnight the one from the turbo to the flex hose. This will get Gary on the road.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
10-03-2014, 09:41
Hi Ron,

The "S-Pipe" is still listed on Roger's website at BHTubes. It's part number MHE1867498. He's had good turn around time with me! Good luck! Smile

david brady,

10-03-2014, 10:28
Talked to BHTubes this morning. Too bad they don't stock one, but they can get to it early next week. I hope we can get him on the road by Wednesday.

Thanks again, Dave. I am filing the numbers as I am looking at the same thing a year or two down the road for my bus. What is the p/n for the other tube that goes to the muffler? How do I find that on the website? Too bad Roger doesn't list Blue Birds on his site.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
10-03-2014, 12:51 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 12:53 by davidbrady.)
Here it is Ron, BHTubes part number: MHE1867597.

BHTubes also offers the LXi coolant pipes in stainless steel: Part numbers MH1877851, and MH1905348.

Everything BHTubes has for Blue Bird's is custom made. I have no financial interest in any of this. Smile

Here's a WaGu thread that provides partnumbers for the flex pipe and clamps needed for the exhaust system.

david brady,

10-03-2014, 22:27
Thanks again, David.

Well, the plot thickens. I didn't understand why Mr. -------'s tube did not fit. We got dimensions from BHTubes, and discovered the one we were going to order was identical. So neither matched the one removed from the bus.

I went with the owner to the shop to look at it, and was shocked. The '98 and who knows what other years, is different. The heavy bracket on the engine that supports the downstream end of the first tube out of the turbo on my '95 and on my '00 has a flat, horizontal surface to which is bolted a saddle clamp. This '98 has a heavy bracket which has a half-circle machined out of it to serve as the lower support, and a U bolt holds down the top side. Ergo, absolutely no adjustment is possible. The tube must be dead nuts on, which is 3/8" more center-to-center than the tube the rest of us need. We are going to suggest to Roger that buyers check the tube-to-tube dimension of the old tube against the new one to assure they get the right dimension.

Roger is going to start Monday and overnight it fast. Gary should be out of here mid-week.

No matter how much you think you know about these birds, they keep teaching you new stuff. Occasional surprises, too.

Thanks again, David.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
[+] 1 user Likes rrueckwald's post
10-04-2014, 11:33
Isn't that the truth Ron! These machines will forever humble us. The BHTubes are hand built and will display expected tolerances. I'd be tempted to remove the bracket and fabricate one like you and I have, then replacements in the future won't be quite so difficult. Thanks for keeping us informed on this repair. Smile

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)