Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
88fc where is the AT solenoid
11-18-2014, 23:50
88fc where is the AT solenoid
I am working on a 88FC for a friend in SanDiego. he has several electrical issues that I've work thru and the last is a gremlin start problem. I was able to have two instances with the no start and confirmed that the shift dash lights blinked on after one failure then I was able to start. I wonder if the at switch shuts down the shift panel thus the Neutral safety switch? . it is confusing what this shuts down. John McG and Shane F blueBird owners gave me some suggestions and I was able to jump past the issues to make it work for the short term. I would like to completely remove the AT solenoid and hard wire or replace it with a BlueSea Breaker/Fuse. then make the AT dash switch useless. I am hopeful that hardwire thru the AT S will allow me to disable the jump around and return the bus to engineered spec (other than AT)
Does anyone know where the AT Solenoid is on a 1988 FC

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2014, 02:52
RE: 88fc where is the AT solenoid
(11-18-2014 23:50)GregOConnor Wrote:  I am working on a 88FC for a friend in SanDiego. he has several electrical issues that I've work thru and the last is a gremlin start problem. I was able to have two instances with the no start and confirmed that the shift dash lights blinked on after one failure then I was able to start. I wonder if the at switch shuts down the shift panel thus the Neutral safety switch? . it is confusing what this shuts down. John McG and Shane F blueBird owners gave me some suggestions and I was able to jump past the issues to make it work for the short term. I would like to completely remove the AT solenoid and hard wire or replace it with a BlueSea Breaker/Fuse. then make the AT dash switch useless. I am hopeful that hardwire thru the AT S will allow me to disable the jump around and return the bus to engineered spec (other than AT)
Does anyone know where the AT Solenoid is on a 1988 FC

Greg,
Please keep all of us posted when you determine the AT bypass. I'd like to bypass ours. Thanks.

Curt

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
11-19-2014, 12:40
Hi Curt, I think the AT solenoid powers or unpowers different appliances and processes on each unit model year. I was looking for a wire diagram for this 88fc to see just what it powers. Something tells me that it is partialy wired around as I found several bypass under the dash for other operations. My main concern with bypass is the two battery setup on this 88FC. Here is that issue.
..... when the start bank is low but the house bank is full powered. the starter motor draws many amps thru the link running between the two banks. the jump wire acts like the momentary battery combine switch but full time . It is possible to turn the small jump into a mini toaster. for this concern, when I jump any bypass I try and remember to insert a blade fuse mid way in the jump.
............ one jump wire I removed was installed by someone who installed a stereo in the 88. they powered the radio to an additional source that gave the stereo power with the ignition off. I believe that jump in turn kept the ignition accessory side on all the time. I removed the key on power so the bus now has radio while docked.

On my 94PT the AT switch turns off a relay that turns off two solenoids The larger is a solenoid in the genset fan bay. That solenoid grounded out and the insulation cooked. I removed it and the large fuse that powered it was replaced with a BlueSea Breaker/Switch. the breaker is rated to be turned on and off many times. Now the AT switch continues to trip another relay up under the front hood but I have not had a chance to look and see what that powers. I will start another thread for the 94pt AT switch removal.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-20-2014, 01:23
some images
1988 fc bay under driver jumped wires IGNITION and ACCESS. this got the shift panel working and the fuel shut off. not sure what cut the power to access. I think it is the at relay? notice the blade fuse 10 amp is installed and the other is a backup 25 amp backup to get the bus going if there is blow.
I also needed to open the dash and run a wire off the center ignition switch which is the momentary start output to the small and first starter solenoid ( not to the one on the starter, it is the small one on frame rail and quite close to the starter).
I also put a fuse on this wire and exposed it at the dash for review. Once I find the AT solenoid remove/ wire thru it, I will pop the two fuses out and test that the issue is corrected. I will leave the wires attached and a note in the bluebox. the reason to keep them there is the instance of 'no power to start' comes and goes.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)