Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flag Pole Holder/Stand
11-11-2014, 12:49
Flag Pole Holder/Stand
I made a flag pole holder/stand. See photos attached. The old mount was attached to the roof ladder and not good to work with when windy. This one will be under the drive tire, hinges down/up for ease of use, and comes apart for storage. I'll clean it up after proving it works at Q.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 13:33
RE: Flag Pole Holder/Stand
Eliminate the bolts i like the pin lock. may be a pin with two tubes like a hinge would work

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-11-2014, 15:47
How thick a wall is your tubing? I've got a pole holder that slips in a receiver hitch. The tube is probably 1/8" wall and only about 10" tall. It has held my 25' telescoping pole with 2 flags for several years now.

Is your plate thick enough to put threads in? You could still use your bolts, but they'd screw down from the top and the plate would be flat. Might be easier to store.

Good start!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
11-11-2014, 16:09
All good suggestions. Thanks. I thought about using the coach hitch receiver but decided to keep the Blue Ox tow bar in the hitch...so it doesn't walk away. The tubing is 2" galvanized EMT. The plate is 3/16" SS. The original ladder mount pole holder tube is secured within the top of the 5' tube. Lucas is getting us 3' x 5' BoF flags. I always disliked using the original ladder mount, especially on windy days using the slide out and twist fiberglass pole. I can now take care of slide/twist and hooking flags while standing on the ground. Then hinge up and anchor.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
11-13-2014, 02:46
Curt, I like the tilt up hinge. will it clear the awning when it is extended?

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-13-2014, 03:44
(11-13-2014 02:46)GregOConnor Wrote:  Curt, I like the tilt up hinge. will it clear the awning when it is extended?

As designed the flag pole mount pole hinges to the rear of the bus, hookup the flag(s), tilt up the pole mount, standing it's 2' behind the rear of the big awning arm.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
11-13-2014, 11:26
I like the flag outfront and bought a commercial set up like you have but without the trick tilt up option. I didn't consider the awning so I gave the holder away and mounted a receiver hitch infront of the bus ,tucked under the bumper. Then I made a matched offset holder. I need to set up a bright led light atop of the bus preset for flag illumination . We have several high ranking vet members who feel dim LED is a lazy and typical. Out front and bright is the least I owe them.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)