Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1977 GMC Day Cruiser
12-07-2014, 22:35
1977 GMC Day Cruiser
I wanted one of these for years but never wanted to have a project which most of them seemed to require. I found a turn key unit last week online and drove my Chevy shortbed to OK OK to have a look. I wanted to walk because it needed 20 simple things but Tim said buy so here it sits in Romoland. İmage

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 04:13
RE: 1977 GMC Day Cruiser
I have always liked the GMCs. Good for Tim, and you. The photo doesn't look like your storage yard. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of the rail? I recognize the Toad. See you guys Q.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
12-08-2014, 11:52
İmage İmage Two years ago at the Frankenmuth rally in Michigan I took these pictures of a GMC because I thought their paint scheme was the best I had ever seen on one of these lovely motorhomes. Enjoy.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
12-08-2014, 19:05
This is image from the trip back to california. I pulled the truck back with the gmc. I like having a vacuum Guage to indicate stress and when to drop the tow'ed. The previous owner over built the cooling system, so high Temps, might be an indication of damage. It didn't handle the tow very well when a Tractor trailer passed if it wasn't dressed with the wind dams. amazing how little impact in turbulence if the tractor was dressed.
Thanks for the images. I agree that is a great look. It looks like the rig is an explorer ii. The explorers are frame off rebuilds of the rigs with a bunch of update late 90's. But even they are old school.
I am working on a generator inverter system to start the roof airs with min weight and cost. The 40 year old Onan works but is smokey and noisy. I'm reading up on hybrid inverters. The new inverters use battery and shore or Gen electric in times when demand would otherwise tax the one Gen or shore power source.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
12-09-2014, 01:08
Good for you Greg - you can never have too many toys. So how does it drive? What does it need? I love those things but then again who doesn't.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
12-09-2014, 03:51 (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 04:26 by GregOConnor.)
(12-09-2014 01:08)davidbrady Wrote:  Good for you Greg - you can never have too many toys. So how does it drive? What does it need? I love those things but then again who doesn't.

I'm not impressed with the drive but surprised that it handles better than I thought. the brakes are wonderful. cabin is very quiet. I would say it is quieter than my 08 Wrangler. A bit swirly I think the genset, lp tank and fresh water are placed back too far but I am not sure if there is an option.

I looked for one several years ago but they were all 25 grand. A Clean GMC was offered to me as a trade for a 6x6 last month , that got me started up again on a search. I looked for a unit that was turn key but not rebuilt . I got this for 10 grand in Oklahoma 10 to 20 is the going price now.
Tires were 5 to 7 years old so I put on a new set on last week and dropped the old 6 on a low deck equipment trailer. I scuff the trailer tires up real quick usually in less than two years. LP Tank is 38 years old so I removed it and sent it out to get new valves, gauge and fittings at an Amerigas dealer. pulled all the rubber pigtails off the lp appliances and had new sets made. I need to work the dash. I would like to just replace all the gauges with some of the hot rod gauge sets but I am not sure what is available.

I actually continue to want a PT40 '89 '90 classic to leave back east for use with RainbowRV and hope to replace my pt94 with a lxi slide for the West coast. This GMC is more of a Day Cruiser or standby fun weekender.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
12-10-2014, 23:53
Parents owned a 1977 GMC Royale many years ago. Used it a few times and one time with my wife and then very young daughter.

Also have spent time searching for a GMC and during one of my searches came across a site that makes new dashboards for several coaches including the GMC.

May be worth a look http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com

Troy & Erica Tikalsky
1985 Wanderlodge PT40
http://www.diyrvguy.com
[+] 1 user Likes Teebone's post
12-11-2014, 00:52
There's one that has been sitting in a field here in Florida for a few years. Needs to be gutted and rebuilt. Good project for someone who wants that sort of project. I expect it is a freebee.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
[+] 1 user Likes rrueckwald's post
12-11-2014, 09:51
Don't know what dash looks like, but Digital Dakoda makes electronic dashes for GM vehicles, that are drop in replacements.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)