Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wrong turn in S CA. Hate GPS units
03-03-2015, 02:36 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 12:30 by dentmac.)
Wrong turn in S CA. Hate GPS units
Never rely on GPS units soley. Even on a short trip.
Hwy 15 to 79 to Hemit.... Would have been no problem.. except there are two 79s. Took the wrong one ,then to 371 and 74 to Palm Springs for a drink!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 12:15 (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015 12:18 by Itchintogo.)
RE: Wrong turn in S CA. Hate GPS units
Ross you should have gone with the tested and true old low tech planning and checked in with Wiarton Willie! Big Grin

Courtesy link so our American friends know what I am referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiarton_Willie

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
03-05-2015, 13:26
(03-03-2015 12:15)Itchintogo Wrote:  Ross you should have gone with the tested and true old low tech planning and checked in with Wiarton Willie! Big Grin

Courtesy link so our American friends know what I am referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiarton_Willie

Many years ago that was one of the routes for testing Hyundai vehicles. Can't imagine taking a 45' bus. Hope the Drink was good!

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
cosresources@gmail.com
03-05-2015, 14:02 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 15:20 by dentmac.)
"Many years ago that was one of the routes for testing Hyundai vehicles. Can't imagine taking a 45' bus. Hope the Drink was good!
Curt Sprenger"

Good thing this 450 Lxi is ONLY a 44 footer, Eh! ...

Ross MacKillop
Wiarton Ontario
2006 450 Lxi
03-05-2015, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 16:23 by Arcticdude.)
Gps's aren't worth a crap. Even the "RV specific" ones. Mine continually wants to take me down tiny little roads and make U turns. Once I had it get me off at the correct exit, make a left turn into the correct road, drive across the overpass and do a U turn so I could go back the other way. Obviously it would have been much simpler to just get off the exit and make a right! Who in the right mind would right a program so it would even consider such stupidity!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-05-2015, 23:31
(03-05-2015 14:02)dentmac Wrote:  "Many years ago that was one of the routes for testing Hyundai vehicles. Can't imagine taking a 45' bus. Hope the Drink was good!
Curt Sprenger"

Good thing this 450 Lxi is ONLY a 44 footer, Eh! ...

Need to learn the west's wording regarding GPS's directions. Like how to spell, Hemet.

Hard copy maps are also a good idea. Never rely on GPS.

I have made that mistake and took the same road.

Dan Sunderland
2005 450LXi
San Marcos, CA
03-08-2015, 08:25
A GPS is usually good for finding an exact address once you get close and general directions while driving, such as what lane to be in for an exit. I always try to look at a map if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before.

TOM
03-08-2015, 14:07 (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015 14:09 by Deb N Randy.)
Amen to that. The ways my "RV" GPS tries to get me out-of-town.. that "I live in" blows me away. Much less a town I'm not familiar with. I use google and paper maps almost every step of the way before leaving.

Turner's on Tour
'97 Wanderlodge 43'
Full-timers originally from Wilmington, NC

03-08-2015, 19:34
We always print out the step by step Google map instructions for a backup to GPS. Learned the hard way like others about trusting a GPS. Sometimes use GPS, map program on phone and the Google map plus an initial look at a real map.

Morey Zuber
99LXi41
03-09-2015, 19:17
I used paper maps and AAA 'triptiks' for trip navigation most of my adult life. GPS is better than those, but not perfect.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)