Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery bank inverters lxi
03-27-2015, 17:58 (This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 19:30 by travelite.)
RE: battery bank inverters lxi
That's right Greg, the inverters aren't paralleled in the Xantrex sense which would result in a 240V system. Instead, Wanderlodge followed the industry standard, and slightly screwed up, installation practice of wiring two independent inverters to all the batteries in the house battery bank. This is good for the case of inverting because each inverter has access to the battery bank's full power; it's bad for the case of charging because one charger will dominate driving the other charger into float mode which means a longer charging time then if the bank were split with each charger charging one half of the bank and each charger operating independently. My Vantare uses the same wiring method with the added disadvantage that my SW4024 inverters are hybrid, and if the voltage exceeds a threshold an inverter may attempt to lower the voltage by switching from charging to inverting and sending power back into the grid. It makes for some interesting outcomes, but mostly it's a corner case with no real serious side-effects except extended charging times. It'd be nice if the chargers would talk to each other and coordinate and synchronize their 3 stage charging switchovers, which I believe is what they do if they're wired in the 240V Xantrex parallel configuration.

There should be an external shunt mounted in the ground path next to your inverters. This is used for the current fuel gauge. BB missed this in some buses. Each inverter has an internal shunt for measuring current into and out of that inverter, but with two inverters wired the way BB did an external current measuring shunt in the ground path is required to get an accurate fuel gauge measurement.

There's a diagram on WaGu that shows the battery wiring config with the engine alternator, voltage and current shunts, and inverter/chargers. It's not that much different than your WB. I'll see if I can find it.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: battery bank inverters lxi - davidbrady - 03-27-2015 17:58

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)