Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norcold 4 door refer LXI
04-10-2015, 21:59 (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 22:04 by GregOConnor.)
Norcold 4 door refer LXI
In my '94 pt40 I installed a Samsung compressor refer and it became a 'you cant go back' item. Therefor I am in the process of removing the norcold and installing a new Samsung in my Lxi. It works good, but then again I didnt use it much because there are no Norcold recall updates done to it. I am not even sure if it is part of the recall. I dont want to sell it whole and working but I can send parts without charge. text my cell if you want simple parts 951-830-5997. I plan to can it within a week

(04-10-2015 21:59)GregOConnor Wrote:  In my '94 pt40 I installed a Samsung compressor refer and it became a 'you cant go back' item. Therefor I am in the process of removing the norcold and installing a new Samsung in my Lxi. It works good, but then again I didnt use it much because there are no Norcold recall updates done to it. I am not even sure if it is part of the recall. I dont want to sell it whole and working but I can send parts without charge. text my cell if you want simple parts 951-830-5997. I plan to can it within a week

On the same note I still have the working Dometic 7040 from my 94pt for sale. I just did the cooling unit and motherboard one year prior to removing it and it has been in storage for a year. 500.00 for that unit. I wont ship. 92585 California . My 94pt is for sale and I will get serious about promoting it once I have the Lxi done. One Bird in hand is less insurance than two in the garage.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 11:20
RE: Norcold 4 door refer LXI
Thanks for the updates Greg. A while back gondolaguy did a thread on installing a new samsung in his lxi. (It still ranks as our most replied to thread)!

In your other lxi thread it'd be great to hear how your hwh and slide issues are working out. Oh, and we have yet to see pics of this new wondrous machine of yours. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
04-11-2015, 12:42
Thanks, I just read the entire thread. The model used in prior installs is no longer available. I opted for model RF18HFENBSR. I did not check the specs other than size. Here is hope that the unit works successful as the one in my 94pt40. Checking the specs I did see that the new model is not energy star rated and the consumption is 594kwh/year which is 30% greater than the on in my 94. I did run it off my house electric for the past 3 days with just water in the refer to see that it works prior to install and it is consuming the same energy as RF197ACBSR ( I use a cheap tell-a-watt device) I dont know why the energy calcs changed or if the compressor is different. I plan to just plug and pray at this point.

In my 94 I had a bunch of plumbing passing under the refer compartment so I built a shelf to mount the unit. I like the fact that when you bend to access the fridge drawer the raised unit keeps your ass from hitting the draw pull across the isle due to the confined space. I now plan to raise the LXi install as high as I can. I also dont like the plastic kick-plate so I plan to recess the kick-plate, modify the legs for toe accommodation and make it brass or stainless. My hope is to push the unit back as far as I can even if it requires cutting the cabinet for the fridge door swing.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
04-11-2015, 14:05
Looks great Greg; looking forward to pics of your LXi installation. I think the trick to refrigerator efficiency is Samsung's DIC (no, I'm not making that up)! It's their Digital Inverter Control compressor technology. If you have one of these then you'll be fine.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
04-11-2015, 23:42
Does the same "DIC" that applied to the earlier unit that I installed two years ago apply to the new version? I think that is more important than an increase in the power consumption. We really like ours. They may have redesigned the system to make ice faster as the old one was marginal and made the freezer run constantly if you used much ice. That dropped its temperature to about -20 degrees and made ice cream into granite. If anyone knows the answer to that question, let us know. I am sure that increasded the actual power usage at least 30%.

FYI, Parliament ordered extrusions for Blue Bird engine area louvers. They have the vertical extrusions also. You can buy them to length and fit them together to use them over the refrigerator, or under, if you want a real professional look. If I could figure out how to attach a picture of the finished look, I'd do it.

Ron & Dorinda Rueckwald
2000 LXi, Single Slide
Summer in St. Joseph, MI
Winter in St. Petersburg, FL
[+] 1 user Likes rrueckwald's post
04-15-2015, 00:22
The refer fit well however the box needs to be 72 inches tall to accommodate the control box atop of the unit I decided to remove the floor of the upper cabinet and tilt the refer into the box under the cabinet face frame.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)