Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator Repair
05-13-2015, 21:25
RE: Radiator Repair
(05-13-2015 14:16)cmillsap Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 11:10)rrueckwald Wrote:  Nice job, Chuck. Did you get the tubes from BHTubes? If so, did you have an issue with the fit on the turbo and with the pyrometer size? I am thinking of doing the exhaust system this summer as a preemptive strike.

Hi Ron,

I did get the tubes from Roger at BHTubes. He also has the flex tube and clamps available. They're not cheap but good quality. Everything fit well with no problems. New Pyrometer from DD fitted right up. Be sure to get the proper Turbo V clamp for your turbo as there are many different ones. Finding the right clamp for my turbo took some time and effort.

Big improvement in the cooling capacity with the new radiator. Up Cajon pass at 55mph with coolant max temp at 195*f. Across the desert to AZ, the coolant ran at or just above the thermostats @ 185*f to 188*f. I'm happy not to have to crawl up the hills with the truckers anymore. With all the work I've put into this LXi, I'm beginning to see the benefits such at MPG up to 7.4.

Chuck

Chuck, why were you crawling up the hills before? Did you have an issue or were you just backing out of it to keep temps cooler?

Jim Doel
Perth, Ontario
2007 M380
Stainless Steel
w/26' Featherlight trailer
jimdoel@me.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2015, 01:27 (This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 01:31 by cmillsap.)
(05-13-2015 21:25)JD33 Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 14:16)cmillsap Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 11:10)rrueckwald Wrote:  Nice job, Chuck. Did you get the tubes from BHTubes? If so, did you have an issue with the fit on the turbo and with the pyrometer size? I am thinking of doing the exhaust system this summer as a preemptive strike.

Hi Ron,

I did get the tubes from Roger at BHTubes. He also has the flex tube and clamps available. They're not cheap but good quality. Everything fit well with no problems. New Pyrometer from DD fitted right up. Be sure to get the proper Turbo V clamp for your turbo as there are many different ones. Finding the right clamp for my turbo took some time and effort.

Big improvement in the cooling capacity with the new radiator. Up Cajon pass at 55mph with coolant max temp at 195*f. Across the desert to AZ, the coolant ran at or just above the thermostats @ 185*f to 188*f. I'm happy not to have to crawl up the hills with the truckers anymore. With all the work I've put into this LXi, I'm beginning to see the benefits such at MPG up to 7.4.

Chuck

Chuck, why were you crawling up the hills before? Did you have an issue or were you just backing out of it to keep temps cooler?
Hi Jim,

It takes a pretty efficient cooling system to keep the S60 below 205*F while pushing a 50,000# behemoth up a 6% grade for 14 miles at 55 MPH while pulling a 5000# toad. A 15 year old OEM radiator loses a lot of heat transfer capacity over that period of time, even well maintained ones. Radiators with copper cores are especially susceptible to build up on the fins and deterioration especially if subjected to salt air. The copper fins on my old radiator were brittle enough to easily crack and break off. Add to that the build-up on the internal walls of the core tubes over time and the radiator had lost a lot of cooling capacity.

So, when on Eastern U.S roads, the cooling with the OEM radiator was plenty good for that environment but it’s a whole different story out here in the dry heat of the Southwest. If you don’t want to crawl up these long and steep Western grades along with the truckers at 35 to 40 MPH, you better have your cooling system in good order. Even then, close monitoring of your coolant temp is prudent. That's why I have a Silverleaf monitoring system.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
10-05-2021, 19:23
Hi Chuck
I know this goes back several years. I am in the process of (trying) to remove the radiator from my 2001 LXi.
Could you please give me some help. Getting the radiator out seems to be quite a problem. The guy doing the job is asking if there is access to the top of the engine under the bed. I looked and there is a cover towards the front - when I got it removed it was full of relays?. Not sure if the cover towards the rear is removable. Not having success removing it.
He removed the the bumper and is trying to lower the the radiator to remove it. Trouble is getting to the hose and bolt furthest towards the front. That is why he is trying to see if there is access under the bed.
Any suggestions?
It seems like it is possible to get a new radiator or have mine re-cored. I know yours was done a while back - do you remember the cost?
If possible could you please call me - I guess I am getting a little desperate.
Urnie 630-561-5745

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
10-06-2021, 10:57 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2021 10:57 by Arcticdude.)
Urnie,

Unfortunately, Chuck passed away in 2019. I don't remember if he ever really posted about the radiator costs when he did his radiator.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
10-06-2021, 12:37
Sorry to hear that - I have read many of his posts and always very interesting.

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
10-06-2021, 13:55
Chuck was a very intelligent and outspoken man. His wisdom with birds was definitely top notch. The community lost a good man with his passing.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
[+] 1 user Likes Arcticdude's post
11-25-2021, 19:34 (This post was last modified: 11-27-2021 01:58 by Urnie-Medie.)
Hi

I finally got my coach back -was quite an ordeal - time wise and $$$$$

I think that the information I have seen had the radiator being removed from the side. The guys doing my coach removed the front bumper and removed it from the front.
Not saying this is the best way - but it was the way they wanted to do the repair.
I have enclosed a few pictures - both the radiator and CAC had to be rebuilt. Just the charge of rebuilding them was over $6,000

Hopefully this helps someone

I am not sure if I attached the three pictures correctly.

Thanks

Urnie[attachment=2208][attachment=attachment=2209][attachment=2210]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold
11-27-2021, 17:37
While it's tough to "like" your post due to costs, I'm glad you've got it done. IIRC, David did the same thing to get his radiator out of his LXi. The bumper had to come off and it kind of came out the rear/side.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-27-2022, 23:39
I am hoping someone can help me in quickly.

After everything with my cooling system - replaced the radiator and CAC.

I finally was able to take a trip - didn't get far until the temperature gauge started raising. I had to hold the speed down to 50-55 mph to keep from overheating but on the small hills in Tennesse it was difficult.

It looks like the hydraulic fan motor only runs at 1/2 speed. The controller has been replaced. The hydraulic line from the controller to the motor was disconnected which should make the fan run at full speed and it did not help.

I believe the unit is called a "Hayden fan" - what I need is the part number of the hydraulic motor. It has been a problem trying to find a replacement - it would be nice to get one in about two days.

It would make my trip home much more relaxing.

Thanks

Urnie

Urnie & Medie Krueger
Yorkville, IL

2001 LXi One Slide
1983 FC35 sold

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)