Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front TV 40" LXi
04-26-2015, 15:28
Front TV 40" LXi
I am looking for some advice on installing a 40" tv in my LXi front overhead. I dont want to mount it on the face and intrude on the entry path. I see that the 40 inch samsung with minimal bezel will fit but not certain how to reconstruct the frame. the reason I want 40 inch is it will require no trim above or below. 32 might be better for viewing so close. any thoughts or advice. I like the mod that cMillsap installed but I want a larger screen then will fit in the tube tv space. here is the pic Chuck took of the raw opening in his like constructed rig

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 01:20 (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 03:34 by cmillsap.)
RE: Front TV 40" LXi
(04-26-2015 15:28)GregOConnor Wrote:  I am looking for some advice on installing a 40" tv in my LXi front overhead. I dont want to mount it on the face and intrude on the entry path. I see that the 40 inch samsung with minimal bezel will fit but not certain how to reconstruct the frame. the reason I want 40 inch is it will require no trim above or below. 32 might be better for viewing so close. any thoughts or advice. I like the mod that cMillsap installed but I want a larger screen then will fit in the tube tv space. here is the pic Chuck took of the raw opening in his like constructed rig

I dunno, Greg, I know your dilemma. It is very hard to add a large flat screen inside an LXi without it looking like an afterthought. The front upper dash really needs a total rework to get a large flat screen to fit flush and look like it belongs there. I never liked the idea of attaching one to the surface of the upper dash because it sticks out and is visually noticeable. Some others have used hinges and attached it to fold away on the ceiling in front of the mirrored ceiling A/C panel but then you have the back exposed and wires to try to hide.

Obviously, many owners would disagree with me but I think a big screen overwhelms the living space in my LXi. I like big screen TVs and have three including a Samsung curved 55” UHD (amazing picture quality) in my home and one 42” in the 2nd passenger bay on my bus but I just couldn’t bring myself to installing one inside my LXi. I’ve even seen owners install large flatscreens in the LXi’s 8’ x 8’ bedroom. The 24” screen is just perfect to fit that space and looks much larger than the original TV screen.

Some owners cover a salon window with a large flatscreen which can’t be seen from the kitchen rearward.

As regards my installation of the 24” flatscreens, the only thing that I am dissatisfied with is the smoke Plexiglas cover on the salon TV. It’s fine after dark or during dim lights but it obscures the picture too much during the bright daylight. I plan to measure and cut out the portion of Plexiglas that covers the TV screen.

Sorry, I wasn’t much help……..

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
[+] 1 user Likes cmillsap's post
04-29-2015, 10:30 (This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 11:06 by travelite.)
Greg,

I took the easy way out. I took the box that the Sony was mounted in, added a felt covered surround at the top and bottom, and bolted a swivel TV mount to the side. This way the new monitor, a 24" Samsung SyncMaster 2441, can be pulled out away from the cabinetry and tilted any direction for viewing. I used a couple of Southco grabber catch latches to secure the monitor at the top and the bottom. There's a notch at the top and bottom to assist in pullling the monitor out. Like Chuck I cover the whole thing with the original plexiglass. I'm not a finish carpenter so the idea of messing with my maple cabinetry was out of the question, plus I like to keep things original or reversible if possible; although, it's not likely anyone's going to reinstall that Sony boat anchor! I'm afraid I'm not much help either! lol

The cord is my temporary SeriusXM antenna.

Chuck: or, find a sheet of plexiglass that's not smoked so heavily??? Here's Chuck's TV mod thread.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post
04-30-2015, 02:02
I will probably do some major reconstruction on the entertainment box. I too dont like the lick and stick cabinet face installs. They also intrude on the entry path. I think I need to buy the tv set then take it from there. My front Cabinet is Laminate dark gloss grey and a bit much. I am now thinking that maple would work for the balance once the center cabinet is removed. My interior is maple and I have 4 maple door fronts that were mounted on the old Norcold refer.
In my 94 I installed a 32inch that required cutting the cabinet up quite a bit to make it fit. 32 is a fine size but if 40 fits I might as well.

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)