Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted: 84-87 FC-33 SB
05-04-2015, 21:47
Wanted: 84-87 FC-33 SB
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking for a mechanically good condition 84-87 Wanderlodge FC-33 with side/mid bath. We are relocating from Australia to Canada shortly and plan on an epic adventure from Alaska to Patagonia over the next few years. We fly to the states in July but are cash buyers and would be prepared to do something prior to our arrival if the right vehicle came our way.

Many thanks,

Curtis & Ingrid Brager

FC31 (new to us)
Planning a 3+ year road trip from Alaska to Patagonia!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 03:22 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 03:25 by Itchintogo.)
RE: Wanted: 84-87 FC-33 SB
On http://www.vintagebirds.com there are a number of FC's for sale. At the end of the list is a FC 33. 1984 is a good year as Bluebird had improved their electrical system that year and it has the 250 HP Cat engine with out the CAC. Simpler engine and less to repair. I believe it will have the easy to maintain electric retarder as well as the swing radiator direct from the factory.

It is a low mileage coach and has been for sale for several years. Worth investigating in my opinion. Supposed to be all original and in excellent condition. Check it out and let us know what happens.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
05-05-2015, 20:12
Hi Gary,

Thanks for that, I'd seen that one, it does look in good nick but was a bit put off by the $38k ask, but if its been on the market for a couple of years its worth investigating as you say.

A 1984 FC35 has just been listed near our soon to be home in Abbotsford B.C. for only $15,000 which we are very keen on (no importing and it would be waiting for us on arrival) but I'm interested if any forum members know this vehicle and could comment on it? The vendor's name is Brian and the coach has only 79,000kms on it, about to call him to get some further details.

Thanks again,

Curtis

FC31 (new to us)
05-06-2015, 16:07
Well that one is just down the road next door. I know of another 84 out here but not owned by a Brian.

Let us know what you find out.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
05-19-2015, 01:19
(05-06-2015 16:07)Itchintogo Wrote:  Well that one is just down the road next door. I know of another 84 out here but not owned by a Brian.

Let us know what you find out.

Hi Gary, one of the guys on WOG went and had a look, its in fairly rough shape by his estimate, runs ok but engine service light on and oil pressure a bit low, would need a fair bit of work, but perhaps worth it if you are up for the project. We have to much on our plate and not enough knowledge to take on that sort of thing, so I'll pass and keep my eyes peeling for something thats had a bit more love and some of the niggly things addressed by an owner with more skills than I have. I'd be interested in hearing about the other one you know of as something 'local' would save a whole lot of headaches for us.

I'm also looking at one for sale on birdconnection.com down in Dallas, looks like its in great shape and the owner has been busy over the years on both forums attending to his bird, but now has a 2000 LX so looking to sell his 87 FC35 I guess. Not a fan of the new end caps personally, but hard to argue with the extra 50hp, ZF and better layout... (but I also take on your point of 'less to go wrong/cheaper to fix' with earlier models). A lot more money than this one but that might be money well spent for us. Still have my heart set on a turbo FC33, but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth so considering 35s. The listing on vintagebirds.com is 4 years old, even though the site says its current so trying to find out if its still available.

Thanks for your offer to have a look, will get in touch when we get to Vancouver in August, hopefully with Bird in Tow (well, not on tow I hope!)

Cheers,

Curtis

FC31 (new to us)
05-20-2015, 04:45
(05-05-2015 03:22)Itchintogo Wrote:  On http://www.vintagebirds.com there are a number of FC's for sale. At the end of the list is a FC 33. 1984 is a good year as Bluebird had improved their electrical system that year and it has the 250 HP Cat engine with out the CAC. Simpler engine and less to repair. I believe it will have the easy to maintain electric retarder as well as the swing radiator direct from the factory.

It is a low mileage coach and has been for sale for several years. Worth investigating in my opinion. Supposed to be all original and in excellent condition. Check it out and let us know what happens.

I've sent vintagebirds.com an email to see if the listing is accurate. I thought the swing out radiator was an 85 option (along with better clearance on the generator, both big pluses for us) but my research may be wrong? You are spot on re the retarder and the EM one is much more desirable, which is why I think if I go with something without it, I might as well get the extra ponies and the ZF to offset it. The genset clearance can be addressed I understand, and a swing out radiator retro fitted, so neither are a deal breaker, but for a $38k ask for all original, we'll have to do some dealing, assuming its still on the market.

Cheers

FC31 (new to us)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)