Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dimmers for Halogen
05-07-2015, 03:37
Dimmers for Halogen
My new to me LXi is almost all back into shape. Nothing worked when I got it. The numerous issues stem from a Bad shore source at a Nascar Pit. From there anyone who ever changed a light bulb was permitted to worked on the bus until the only way to charge it was the detroit alternator and shop battery chargers. The bus sat idle for the last 5 years next to the PO's replacement a 2010 Prevost (my next Bus after his crew starts to work on that too). One last item to fix are the wall Sconce lights in the living area. I have power at the switch, when I remove the switch and hard wire the lights come on. I replaced the switch but no luck. The bulbs are 'Philips 150-Watt Halogen T4 Mini-Candelabra' that are on the E-11 screw in base. I replaced the bulbs with one that a reviewer said were dim-able but no luck again. I now wonder if the new levitron dimmer is bad?? Not sure that I want to continue with the Halogen since I cant find a led replacement and not quite sure if LED are dim-able with the Levitron. I would like to know what the issue is just to rule out other pending problems. I am not sure what dims a bulb anyway and a google search has me concerned that dimming may not be a good idea given inverted power and fluctuating current is used here. I have LED Sconces in the 94 that sit in mini bulb bases on the original Wanderlodge Levitron dimmer that work well. What are your thoughts on Dimmers?

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 08:44
RE: Dimmers for Halogen
Dimmers are available for LED's. Contact Rob Lowe. Rv Parts Plus.

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
05-07-2015, 13:12
Are there special LED bulbs for dimmers? My 90 has dimmers on the 120v chandelier over the table, I want to put LED's in, but everyone I have found says not for use on dimmer circuits.
05-07-2015, 17:05 (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 17:11 by cmillsap.)
Here's an article on how dimmable LEDs work. Dimmable LED bulbs are available at Home Depot.

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Optoel..._work.aspx

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
05-08-2015, 12:23
I also looked for replacement LEDs for the E-11's but no luck. So for now, I'll keep the regular halogens in place until an alternate appears.
I did replace the regular bulbs (A-19s ?) over the table with dimmable LEDs from Lowes and there is some flicker depending on the position of the Levitron dimmer slider. Not sure if this really an issue with the Levitron dimmer or the bulbs I bought.

John Brock
2003 LXI 43 SS

John & Patty Brock
2003 LXI 43 SS
Oak Hills, CA
[+] 1 user Likes RangerStrider's post
05-08-2015, 19:11
John, I just wonder what the impact is on the inverters when the pulse modulated dimmers switch on and off so quick. As far as the reaction of the inverter to come in and out of sleep mode.
(05-08-2015 12:23)RangerStrider Wrote:  I also looked for replacement LEDs for the E-11's but no luck. So for now, I'll keep the regular halogens in place until an alternate appears.
I did replace the regular bulbs (A-19s ?) over the table with dimmable LEDs from Lowes and there is some flicker depending on the position of the Levitron dimmer slider. Not sure if this really an issue with the Levitron dimmer or the bulbs I bought.

John Brock
2003 LXI 43 SS

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)