Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PTO/Hydraulic Pump
09-07-2015, 19:29 (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 19:54 by cmillsap.)
RE: PTO/Hydraulic Pump
AL,

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Part #s for the PTO changeover or Part #s for the Hayden fan controls??

If you asking about the Hayden fan related controls. Yes, I did install two (2) new fans on the Hayden oil cooler. Part # 3680 fan @ $148 bucks each. We also made a better bracket to mount these 2 fans to the oil cooler.They do require a little different designed bracket than the original fans did. I replaced the hoses to & from the oil cooler.
I also replaced the #8037090P Temp/Sensor Switch on the bottom of the hydraulic oil reservoir. Price was $99.
The rest of the controls consist of an inline 30a fuse and the Hayden relay located in the panel in the engine bay.

Here's some info I copied from an earlier related post on the parts neede to change your 7/8" PTO to a 1'" wet splined PTO.
________________________________________________________________________________​__________________
Here’s the cost comparison between buying a new 1” PTO and rebuilding your 7/8” greasable PTO into a 1” wet splined PTO’

I was quoted $1800 for a new 1” wet splined PTO.
David paid $675 for a 1” greasable PTO.

I am not aware of any difference between the two PTO(s) above as you can convert a greasable 1” PTO to a wet splined PTO simply by installing the Chelsea #328591-129x kit. I probably paid full retail as that was the price the manufacturer (Chelsea) quoted me.

I also paid more than David did for the 1” pump from CPC.
I paid $1482 for the CPC1049 pump.
David paid $795 for the same pump.

To rebuild the 7/8” PTO to 1” requires the following replacement parts;

1 CHE-328274 PTO closed end cap = $52.36
1 CHE-550397 1”i.d. bearing = $26.08
1 CHE-550532 1” i.d. bearing = 28.65
2 CHE-550439 1” i.d. bearing = 45.62
1 CHE-35-P-7 Gasket = 5.95

Total Parts = $ 198.33
PTO rebuild labor = 245.00

Total cost = $ 443.33 As compared to David’s cost of $675 for a new 1” PTO
________________________________________________________________________________​_________________________________________________

If we use David’s cost on the 1" pump and rebuild the PTO, the total cost to convert from a 7/8” greasable PTO to a 1” wet spline PTO is:

1 CPC1049 1”pump $795.00
1 Rebuild of 7/8” to 1” PTO 443.33 (see above for parts required)
1 328591-129X wet spline kit $326.65
Totals $1564.98
Add Labor costs
Add the cost of hydraulic oil and filters and transmission fluid loss replacement.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2015, 19:57 (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 20:07 by davidbrady.)
I think Al is referring to the Sauer Danfoss Fan Drive Control Assembly (FDCA) part number: 1090223.

This is the device that takes a PWM signal from the DDEC and sends a proportional hydraulic signal to the hydraulic bypass on the fan motor.

It should be available thru: Berendsen, Sun Source, or Livingston Haven, and sometimes Ebay.

If I recall correctly, with the dash fan override enabled the PWM attempts to spin the fan at 1800 RPM but there's insufficient hydraulic flow to be successful. So instead it ramps up starting at 100 to 130% of engine RPM at idle going to 1800 RPM plus between 1200 and 1800 engine RPM's.

With fan override off, the fan spins significantly slower something like 30 to 40% of engine RPM.

-----------------------------some time ago I wrote this-------------------------

1) The Fan Drive Control Assembly, FDCA, (Sauer Sundstrand part, B5531-10354-207):
- takes a DDEC pulse width modulated input signal
- converts the DDEC signal to a proportional analog electrical current
- powers a solenoid to produce a proportional hydraulic pilot signal

2) The Flow Divider Valve on the side of the Hydraulic Motor:
- takes the pilot signal from the FDCA
- uses this pilot signal to control a hydraulic proportional valve
- the proportional valve diverts high pressure fluid around the fan motor

Essentially, we're taking a digital DDEC signal, converting that into a hydraulic pilot signal, and using this pilot signal to control high pressure high flow bypass at the fan motor.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-07-2015, 21:10
AhHa, The 'ole PWM valve. I replaced it on my other LXi and also on my present bus. I bought it from Berendsen but if I recall correctly, it took a while to get it as the factory had to build it because they didn't carry it in inventory anymore. I hope they still make them??

Al should use a laser tachometer to check his fan speeds before buying a PWM valve. Also, everyone should be aware that switching the chassis a/c on will also switch the fan to a higher speed depending again on the engine RPMs. So check the fan speeds with the A/C turned off to get accurate PWM valve performance.

David's description in post #15 above is exactly how the fan controls work on my bus. But when using the dash A/C my bus's cooling system will normally run at 2 to 3 degrees just above the 185 *F thermostats.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
09-07-2015, 21:22
Chuck,

It's a good feeling when they're operating the way they're supposed too! Smile True, with the A/C 'on' or the fan override 'on' the coolant temp pretty much locks at the 185* mark. If coolant temps don't modulate as described in post 15 then it's a good indication that you're fan is on high speed all the time. There's a fuse labeled "Ignition" in the grey engine mounted remote start box which feeds power to the systems involved. There's also a couple of related relays in that box. If anyone's fan is stuck on high speed the fuse and relays are the first thing to check.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-08-2015, 09:43
good morning Guys ,

thank you for all the detailed info for this upgrade . You see I have not ever overheated , but have always found the temps higher than those you guys have posted over the years . I also think after 15 years this is a item I do not wish to be ambushed by on the road .

Now the trick is to source the parts and to convince " without it being my idea" the guy to do it as explained by those who have gone before Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
03-19-2024, 08:32
Thanks for sharing your experience, guys. It helped me find the right parts at Somac Hydraulics.
[+] 1 user Likes Pop Alexandra's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)