Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voltage regulator
09-08-2015, 10:02
Voltage regulator
My question is , if your regulator has caused your alternator to spike at 300 amps , and then after cooling down works as it should, is this reason to replace it ?

I think my bike lift control got water in her and caused a overload ?

I removed the main line and taped her off then ran off the genny .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 11:22 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 15:30 by travelite.)
RE: Voltage regulator
I'd replace it Al. I had a couple spikes like that and it turned out to be the voltage regulator. I understand that our regulators have been discontinued. If you have a hard time finding one I'd call Prevost parts. SpongeBob uses the same 5 wire Delco-Remy regulator.

----EDIT----

Al, on second thought and after a cup of coffee I now remember that the prevost part is for a 24V chassis system.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-08-2015, 14:22
correct David 24 v Prevost, 12 v BB . I am being told that the 12v regulator has been a issue for some time now . To save the batteries, and lights from a overload ,I remove the main wire to the Alternator and run off the genny . There is no rime or reason at this point for the spike in voltage , so I guess I will continue on the hunt . any of you GuRu's out there that come across one let me know , and I will have it shipped to my next local .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-08-2015, 15:45
Al, pull the serpentine belt off so you don't risk damaging the 50DN.

david brady,

09-08-2015, 17:37
does nt the belt also turn the water pump ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-08-2015, 17:49 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 17:51 by davidbrady.)
No, the bull gear turns the accessory drive from within the gear housing. The accessory drive is the lower left most pulley when viewing the engine. The accessory drive propels the water pump via an internal gear, which is also within the gear housing. The accessory drive propels external accessories like the 50DN and air conditioner compressors. In our LXi application the only external accessory is the 50DN. All the other pulleys that the surpentine belt snakes thru are either idler or belt tensioner/dampener. The 50DN is the only load. An alternative to removing the belt is to remove the battery sense wire from the voltage regulator. Right now you have the regulator sensing the battery voltage but the 50DN is disconnected from the sensed batteries. It's open loop. The 50DN may be generating very high open circuit voltages and may damage itself.

david brady,

09-08-2015, 19:25
ok , I do have 2 more days to source one , would hate to be leaving the genny on for the next month or so on the road .

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-08-2015, 21:23
Hi Al,

There was a thread on the WOG a few weeks ago about sourcing the original regulator. i believe the short story is it is no longer in production, but they are considering bringing it back.

As we needed a regulator that would play nice with our battery/ alternator set-up we bought the Balmar MC-614H. It is programmable if needed and has worked well for us the last year. There is some wiring work needed, but nothing too complicated. We ordered ours from Baltimore Battery and it was about $370. Seems to be used in boating so if your near a port/yachting area someone may stock it.

Just a thought
Kevin

'98 41' LXI
[+] 1 user Likes K Sarich's post
09-09-2015, 10:05
thanks Kevin , I did read up on that and although in your skill set , I can not say the same for myself lol . I want to find one no mater where it is in this or any other country Smile

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-09-2015, 10:35
I have had a bad chassis battery cause overcharge issues. Also the solenoid that connects the battery banks together can fail causing overcharge issue. Some folks call the solenoid " The Big Boy". FWIW BB wired my coach to charge the house batteries but the pickup for the regulator is connected to the chassis side. When the big boy fails the chassis batteries are not charged causing the alt to overcharge the house batteries. I have had one regulator and two big boys fail in less than a year.

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)