Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HWH Jacks will not retract
09-16-2015, 22:21
HWH Jacks will not retract
The new owner of my bus is having trouble with the HWH jacks, they are extended part way down and refuse to move and displays the “Excess slope” light. I am unfamiliar regarding the manual valves on the HWH valve block. Can anyone explain to him the correct procedure for opening the manual valve to allow the jacks to retract?

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2015, 22:31
RE: HWH Jacks will not retract
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer! I am the new owner of this fabulous coach. I arrived back in Wisconsin this evening, and was in the process of deploying the jacks so I could extend the SO and impress my family, and things didn't go as hoped. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Cruisergeek, Green Bay, WI Area
1980 FC33 Wanderlodge NA 3208 - Sold
1988 WB40 Wanderlodge XXV 25th Anniversary Edition- Sold
2000 LXi SS Millennium Edition - Love It! (Chuck's old Rig)
09-16-2015, 22:56
Hi Cruisergeek,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new coach. At the forward bulkhead of your first basement bay there's a panel that's maybe 2'x2'. Remove this panel. Behind it you'll find the HWH hydraulic pump, the manifold, and the slide room, locking pins, and jack solenoids. Each solenoid is identified by a tag on the electric pigtail going to it. The jack solenoids are labled LF, LR, RF, and RR. Find the one for the stuck jack and loosen the nut or T-handle to release the hydraulic pressure. The HWH manual says, "Turn the valve release nuts (small valves) 4 1/2 complete turns (no more) or valve release T-handles (large valves) 5 full turns counterclockwise". I'm pretty sure yours has T-handles so you'd want to turn the T-handle counterclockwise 5 full turns. This should allow the jack to retract. Always dump the air suspension prior to leveling the coach. This is proper HWH method to level the coach and it also gives the hydraulic jack leveling system a fighting chance of finding level w/o running out of travel.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-17-2015, 10:11
Before I started turning T handles, I would shut down the coach and turn off the key. wait a minute and restart, next start all over with the HWH control trying to raise the jacks. A friend has to cycle three times to get everything working again. There are safety switches that get out of sequence and shut down the system.

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
09-17-2015, 11:02 (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 11:13 by cruisergeek.)
OK, I located them. There are t-handles on 3 of the four, and when I look in with a flashlight the 4th (closest to the back) is broken off flush with the back of the unit. Am i in trouble here? Does anyone have a remedy?

Thanks for this idea to cycle 3 times or more, I tried this numerous times, have to go to the t-nuts....
09-17-2015, 12:18
Look closely at the one you think is sheared. Does it look like this? İmage

If so, this is a different style solenoid valve which has a nut instead of the T-handler.

david brady,

09-17-2015, 12:22 (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 12:23 by cruisergeek.)
No, it is definitely sheared, it has witness of an angular break, like it was struck with something, and not enough of it remains to get any sort of tool on, is is pretty much flush....is there another location i can bleed from, perhaps cracking a line loose somewhere?
09-17-2015, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 09-17-2015 12:43 by davidbrady.)
It may be time to get HWH on the phone. The system is under pressure and I'm not comfortable with asking you to remove check valves or lines. We have a ton of HWH documents over here: Document Library->House->HWH. Here's one which gives you a good picture of the valves and lines which make up the jack assemblies. http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/database...ystems.pdf Start at page 26.

david brady,

09-17-2015, 12:52
OK, thanks. I realize this isn't your problem and I appreciate what you've done thus far.
HWH support is backed up 3+ weeks in their phone support and cannot help. I will have to try releasing pressure with cracking a line loose. I understand their is potential liability in giving instructions on how to do this, and which line may be the optimum one to crack loose, but any "suggestions" would be greatly appreciated.
09-17-2015, 13:00
Hi Cruisergeek,

You might try this before removing lines. There's a pressure switch on the side of the HWH manifold. It's number 2 in this picture, but this pic may not be representative of what's on your LXi. Find the pigtail and disconnect it from the pressure switch and try again. İmage

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)