Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aqua Hot test
09-19-2015, 23:18
Aqua Hot test
I am of the opinion ,that the only true way to know if the AH on a bus you want to buy is any good would be to take a good look at the cooper that runs around the boiler .

As we know the motor, and fuel nozzle and such, is actually very cheap when one thinks of the expense of replacing the boiler itself . what are The thoughts of the Wagu on this ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2015, 13:13 (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 14:27 by travelite.)
RE: Aqua Hot test
I agree Al, the domestic water loop is the crucial component as shown here: İmage

I don't know of any easy way to be able to test for integrity unless there's an outright failure, in which case there will be a large puddle of water under the bus! However, faced with a loop failure I'd definitely re-loop it! It's been done before with success. The other common failure point, but much easier to fix, is a leak at the filler neck at the top of the tank. Tank leaks are easily found using a radiator pressurization pump which can be rented from Autozone or any of the other automotive supply store chains. I talked about my filler neck repair in this thread: http://www.wanderlodgegurus.com/showthread.php?tid=201

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
09-20-2015, 15:21
Great Pic David, the next issue would be the insulation jacket around the coil , has that been found ? I would also think that 20 years in a AH , one should be thinking about the coli; replacement Sad

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-20-2015, 18:53 (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 20:47 by davidbrady.)
Al, I'd use a closed cell melamine and I'd just wrap blankets of the stuff around the tank. Other's have used other materials and have had good success. I think the important thing is that it not become water logged. Melamine is what I used in my engine compartment on my LXi. It stands up to the weather and it doesn't ignite. I took a propane torch to a sample and I couldn't ignite it.

david brady,

09-21-2015, 07:47
what did you use to adhere it David ?

al perna
2000 LXI
ormond beach fla
09-21-2015, 09:58 (This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 10:04 by travelite.)
Sorry Al, that's not my AH. That's a stock pic I had lying around. For the insulation I'd wrap the boiler loosely and tape it off; for the copper domestic loop I'm sure we could find some conductive paste somewhere. Wrapping a new loop could be fun. Maybe fashion up a roundabout or carousel, attach the boiler to the center, have some friends spin it while a couple more feed in the copper tubing. Serve plenty of beer and wine! Smile

AFAIK, the newer Aquahot's use PEX but to get the heat transfer required they put the PEX inside the boiler which is why they need to use food grade antifreeze.

david brady,

[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)