Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first Wanderlodge experience:
02-22-2013, 23:42
My first Wanderlodge experience:
Fast back to 1982. A friend, who was a neurosurgeon, bought a brand new FC in 82. i had a Southwind. We went everywhere in West Texas. He had a sailboat, as did I. We were in Del Rio, Tx at a marina. A law enforcement person arrived at the coach and told the owners' wife: "You can't camp here" Without blinking her eyes she said" Sir- this coach costs $300,000 and I hardly think we are camping"
And with that statement she went on with cleaning the outside with Windex. Folks- I don't make this up~

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
Weatherford, Tx
http://www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ernie ekberg's post
02-23-2013, 00:04
RE: My first Wanderlodge experience:
That's outstanding. I have to chuckle to myself when people ask about our camping trips. No bird truly "camps". We might dry camp or stay in a campground, but I wouldn't call what we do camping. I do that on the motorcycles. Tent strapped to the back and sleeping bag under the headlight; that's camping. Wanderlodging is not camping! Thank you, Mr. Luce!!!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-23-2013, 11:15
OTOH,

An electrician came out to our BB farm when we blew the power after turning on the jets to our newly installed 'spa' (hot tub).

Darrell was speaking to him about upgrading the service and about bringing in 3 phase power. Being that we would have to move boxes etc, I said that we should take the Bird/s into account as well, as currently we are just running a line along the ground.

Electrician said, "I can install a dual 50amp pedestal for your trailer".

So now, jokingly, I refer to da Bird as the 'trailer'. Big Grin

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-25-2013, 12:51
(02-22-2013 23:42)ernie ekberg Wrote:  Fast back to 1982. A friend, who was a neurosurgeon, bought a brand new FC in 82. i had a Southwind. We went everywhere in West Texas. He had a sailboat, as did I. We were in Del Rio, Tx at a marina. A law enforcement person arrived at the coach and told the owners' wife: "You can't camp here" Without blinking her eyes she said" Sir- this coach costs $300,000 and I hardly think we are camping"
And with that statement she went on with cleaning the outside with Windex. Folks- I don't make this up~

Now THAT story is priceless!!!! Thanks for sharing Ernie! We went from decades of tent camping with motorcycles to a bird so we affectionately call the bird "5 star resort camping"!Tongue Take your 5 star resort hotel anywhere you want!!!!!!!!!!!Angel

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
02-26-2013, 22:49
Fast back, part 2. Seems my old Wanderlodge buddy had a penchant for Scotch. Now this is back in 82/83 when there weren't any open container/breath tests. Nope- just pure-d ole scotch- over the rocks- of course the rocks were made in the U-Line icemaker.
He would be humming right along driving down the road- till it got time to park his coach in his newly constructed metal building. And we just got back from a day of sailboat racing. I won. BUT- being the neurosurgeon he was- he couldn't back his coach and boat into a 60 foot wide hangar.
Since I was just had a beer buzz- I think- I told him- let me at the wheel, I can back your bus in there.
Sure enough, he gave me his seat- and here I sit at the controls of this monster. I owned a southwind gasser at the time. Holy Cow- can I do this? Can I back up his windex clean pride and joy? YUP- placed everything just like he wanted it.
Hell, I was grinning from ear to ear- like I just bought the thing. Little did i know that I would eventually own a bird. Now, I'm on my 3rd. and still grinning.

Ernie Ekberg
Weatherford, Tx
02-26-2013, 23:01
Bet you needed a scotch after that!

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
02-27-2013, 12:13
(02-26-2013 22:49)ernie ekberg Wrote:  Fast back, part 2. Seems my old Wanderlodge buddy had a penchant for Scotch. Now this is back in 82/83 when there weren't any open container/breath tests. Nope- just pure-d ole scotch- over the rocks- of course the rocks were made in the U-Line icemaker.
He would be humming right along driving down the road- till it got time to park his coach in his newly constructed metal building. And we just got back from a day of sailboat racing. I won. BUT- being the neurosurgeon he was- he couldn't back his coach and boat into a 60 foot wide hangar.
Since I was just had a beer buzz- I think- I told him- let me at the wheel, I can back your bus in there.
Sure enough, he gave me his seat- and here I sit at the controls of this monster. I owned a southwind gasser at the time. Holy Cow- can I do this? Can I back up his windex clean pride and joy? YUP- placed everything just like he wanted it.
Hell, I was grinning from ear to ear- like I just bought the thing. Little did i know that I would eventually own a bird. Now, I'm on my 3rd. and still grinning.

Thanks Ernie for sharing part 2. It reminded me of the ole days that you described about open container laws, etc. Back in those days, the cops in my neighborhood, if they knew you or your ole man and saw your car parked car at bar would come in and would point blank as you..." when are you going home", then they would come back to the bar at that time and drive you home and tell you to get a friend tomorrow and to go get your car!Big Grin now THAT is SERVICE!!!!!!!! Big GrinTongue

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
07-20-2015, 08:14
Back in the day, drinking and driving was widely accepted. The police, due to what they saw on a daily basis, were trying to prevent such tragedy as politely as they could.

Too many people today to allow for such humanity.

"The Wanderers" Cool
Michael & Gary
Damn..... STILL looking, and looking, and looking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2015, 08:41
Often friends will ask me where we "camped" when we have been on one of our junkets.

My response, we don't "camp". Camping (being very liberal with the term) is what I did in the Army - 1/2 of a shelter and a buddy with the other half. I now have a luxury condo on wheels will full amenities.Rolleyes

Tommy Rountree, AKA RetDA
Still a Newbie
1994 WB
07-21-2015, 08:32
I'll amend my original post. Now, we are on our 4th Bird

Ernie Ekberg
Weatherford, Tx

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)