Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New(ish) SP owner update
11-01-2015, 00:15
New(ish) SP owner update
Thought I'd post an update on progress with our new-to-us SP. So far we've had a general engine/trans service completed (from here on out I'll deal with all but big maintenance issues, but wanted to get her checked out first by someone who had at least a good idea of what to look for). New tires all around (ouch). Engine oil service, new belts, etc. Had to have the A/C compressor mount attended to as it had loosened and elongated the mounting hole. Trans inspected and serviced. Had the generator serviced and a solenoid replaced (intermittent starting - can't say enough good about Cummins Rocky Mountain in Phoenix. I've had numerous issues taken care of by them in the past, and have always gotten awesome service). Now I'm replacing the house water pump, water heater and about half of the water heater compartment floor (thank you rust - you suck). Ordered a new dash stereo and amplifier (gotta have entertainment).

My better half has done wonders inside - she always amazes me with her ability to make any living space 100% better (well, she makes me look better too, but that's another story).

Now I have to address the not-too-long (yet) list of secondary issues. Primarily, I have a confusing matter with the instruments. Fuel quantity and Engine DC Voltmeter are both pegged to the right (power on or off). Engine oil pressure gauge reads super high when off and pegged when the engine is running. I'm hoping the first two gauges are related, but thinking that all three are independent...sigh (I hate, hate HATE electrons. My profession requires me to have a working knowledge of it, and I fake it well...but hate it with a fiery hell hate). Next, the pushbutton shift selector on our ZF Ecomat has a heckuva time shifting into reverse. I've discovered that it's a mechanical issue with the shifting mechanism and I'm really hoping I can either find a used replacement or rebuild this one, as a new unit is over $800...ouch. Last (for now) - She's in need of an alignment (pulls to the right...always).

So overall things are great. She runs like a sewing machine (OK - a big diesel sewing machine, but still), doesn't leak, and looks awesome. I have a few bubbling paint/rust issues I'll have to address over time, but she still looks great, runs great and is a blast to drive. Happy to have her in the garage, and looking forward to taking her to Q in January Smile

Ken and Tammy

Ken and Tammy Morgan
Fountain Hills, AZ
'91 SP36
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2015, 00:39
RE: New(ish) SP owner update
On your alignment situation, most of the birds need a caster adjustment, they are not set with enough positive caster on the right side, the shim is tack welded in place, and the nut is torqued very very tightly.
This will create the problem you feel. If the tires are not wearing, that is.

Steve Gureasko
90 WBSA "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula, La.
11-01-2015, 00:50 (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 00:58 by morganaire.)
Thanks Steve - I'll make sure to mention this to the shop we have doing the alignment Smile

Ken and Tammy Morgan
Fountain Hills, AZ
'91 SP36
11-02-2015, 03:25
several electrical issues often prove a ground problem.
Oil gauge - if it is a two wire sender, reverse the wires at the sender and have a look, then remove the sender and clean it up with diesel fuel or some pb blaster and reinstall. reinstall with a bit of locktight.
one of the problems I found with the gauges and switches is , some make contact by sending -12 ground and some make contact by sending +12. If you throw all the switches in the other position while looking at the gauges that might show the switch that is wired wrong?

Gregory O'Connor
2001 LXi43ss
Romoland California 92585
951-830-5997
Rainbowrv.com
11-03-2015, 02:24 (This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 02:37 by morganaire.)
Thanks Greg! Tomorrow we head up to our Bird barn to spend some time tinkering. I'll do a bit of troubleshooting - I had a suspicion (and hope) that a bad ground may be the culprit - strange to have more than one gauge pegged full right regardless of ignition position. I'll check out the oil pressure sender (have to find it first). I'm pretty sure that one will be simple. Anyway - hope to get the water heater compartment finished up (rust cleaned-up, water pump rebuilt and new WH installed). Also have the new 4 channel in-dash stereo and amplifier to install (YES!). Also finally have all the parts I need to turn our Mini Clubman into our new toad...yikes, I've got a lot to do!

Ken and Tammy Morgan
Fountain Hills, AZ
'91 SP36

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)