Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
concern over battery banks
12-03-2015, 14:21 (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015 15:17 by travelite.)
RE: concern over battery banks
Hi Greg,

Normally BB used a 4 position battery cutoff switch similar to this Blue Sea switch, but BB only used it for a single battery bank so having the switch in position A is the same as having it in position BOTH, and OFF is the same as having it in position B. I think BB did this because at the time the four position was cheaper than the two position as pictured here.

The three shunts are for (1) alternator ammeter gauge, (2) coach loads, and (3) battery charge, which are the gauges on your dash and overhead. If the battery disconnect is wired properly then you can completely remove your house bank from the circuit. In this case the only way the chassis batteries will deliver power to the house or to the inverters is if the aux-bat switch is thrown. If that happens then you need to see what the gauge of wire is from the chassis batteries to the shunt and use the calculator at the bottom of this page to see if you're okay, keeping in mind your common amperage use and transients. The calculator shows a 3.5' run of 4/0 can sustain 1000A with only a 3% voltage drop.

You might find this charging circuit interesting. Unfortunately it's for a WB; I'm unable to find a similar diagram for the LXi.

Hal, that's a Class-T fuse in a rather unfortunate wrapper.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: concern over battery banks - davidbrady - 12-03-2015 14:21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)