Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chassis heater plumbing in engine bay
02-23-2013, 10:53
chassis heater plumbing in engine bay
I'm replacing the 1" chassis heater hoses in the engine bay, so while I'm doing that, I'm replacing the old boiler valves with the newer style ball valves. Question I have is around types. I am getting brass ball valves. What is there now is a combination of 90 degree elbows, 45 degree elbows, boiler valves, close nipples and smooth hose ends. Everything appears to be "black iron" or something similar. I was going to replace it all, but I'm finding some of this stuff is pricier than I expected, or hard to find. The 90 and 45 degree elbows are easily enough sourced, as are the close nipples. i wish they made valves with the nipples already on for fewer connections, but so be it. Not sure the best way to spin a close nipple in two pipes without messing up the threads?

The hard to find parts are the "smooth hose ends" where the 1" heater hose attaches to. I have found some barbed ones in brass, or smooth ones in brass (made in China unfortunately), the barbed are about $5 each, the smooth about $15! Needing 10, that isn't cheap. Plus, now I'm wondering about the combination of metals....black iron and brass mixed around. Could have black iron into block as a 90 elbow, then close nipple in black iron, then ball valve in brass, then 45 in black iron, then smooth hose end in brass. Does this matter mixing "metals" like this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
chassis heater plumbing in engine bay - markusfmeyer - 02-23-2013 10:53

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)