Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberty Coach is breaking ground
05-27-2016, 01:15
Liberty Coach is breaking ground
Liberty is now putting a new energy management system in their coaches. 58V Li battery pack coupled with a tier 4 generator. Sounds pretty neat, as it's supposed to have 3 times the power of a standard system.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/05/libert...ace-in-16/

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2016, 19:34 (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 20:54 by travelite.)
RE: Liberty Coach is breaking ground
They've gone to this model of supersizing the battery bank power and undersizing the generator power, which is the inverse of what's usually done. Their rationale is that the batteries/(3) inverters can power everything in the coach simultaneously so there's less need to run the generator while driving; hence, the generator can be undersized. An undersized genny also helps meet the tier 4 requirements. I believe their 2017 coach has a 31KW-hr battery bank and 12.5KW generator.

I don't know if I buy the power inversion idea. My Vantare has 4 cruisairs which require 8.4KW of power to run. With their battery bank I can run my cruisairs for just under four hours, then what? If I then start their 12.5KW generator to continue to run the cruisairs I'm left with only 60A at 58VDC to charge the batteries. This will require 9 hours to fully charge the 31KW-hr battery bank. So much for not running the generator while driving.

On an aside, I wonder where they found a 58V engine alternator? Could it be that they can only charge the batteries with the generator or shore power? I wouldn't doubt it.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)