Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 miles, stored and very dusty. WORTH TROUBLE?
12-17-2017, 17:59
RE: 100 miles, stored and very dusty. WORTH TROUBLE?
Depending on the $$$, it sounds like one of those ‘finds of a lifetime’. I second the comments Ross made. I would add also, to check for mildew, mold or massive rodent infestations.

Tires? Absolutely. It would even be nice to have the tire shop come to the storage facility if they will.
Start Batteries? Yes. House batteries? Yes, but not needed to drive off.
Oil pressurize? I have mixed emotions here. The purist in me says yes. Would be nice if possible. Could be done by attaching a small pump at the at the oil pressure fitting and pump a quart in. Even that however is not going to get oil to the rotating surfaces or cylinder walls. The sceptic in me says just click the starter to turn it over a few times before full start to pressurize the oil system. New engines from the factory are not pressurized when they are fired up for the first time. They may have some assembly lube, but they are going to build pressure in about 2-3 seconds anyway. I would change the oil fairly soon after taking the Bird home.
Fuel? OK, here’s a problem area. 25+ year old sitting fuel may have condensation build up, and even algae growth. I would if possible try to drain some fuel from the tank sump, via the petcock on the sump, to see how much water has accumulated and what the fuel looks like. If it looks ok, try to fire the engine up. I would get fresh fuel added asap, a good diesel fuel additive (algae control if needed) and load up with racor and fuel filters for the trip home, just in case.

If and when it fires up, builds oil pressure, air pressure and no obvious oil/coolant/air leaks, I would go for it and ride around locally and then hit the road if everything seems to be working (like brakes and lights). Many Birds only make one big trip a year and then sit. Many of the 90’s Birds still have all their original plumbing, rubber items including hoses, air bags and brake chambers, so I wouldn’t actually worry too much about those things unless obvious problems exist.

Good luck with your time warp find and keep us updated.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi 43' DS Millennium Edition
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 100 miles, stored and very dusty. WORTH TROUBLE? - mbulriss - 12-17-2017 17:59

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)