Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michelin Tire Facts Update
05-02-2018, 17:46 (This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 17:47 by mbulriss.)
RE: Michelin Tire Facts Update
OK, to follow up on this thread, I spoke with a Michelin Corporate rep in a group called Non-P Tires (as in non-passenger car tires) about warranty issues on the sidewalls of my 315/80R22.5 XGA2 NRG front tires. It seems that Michelin’s warranty is suspect at best. After we discussed my steer tire sidewalls coming apart (including my steerable tag axle). He suddenly asked “How did you buy them?” I said “What do you mean? I bought them from a tire dealer, of course.” He said “No. Did you buy them over the counter, or through a discount program?” When I responded I bought them through the FMCA discount program, the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a while hit my ears. He proceeded to tell me well, they are “not qualified for warranty if purchasing at a discount program”! I wrote that down verbatim and after collecting my breath read it back to him. He said yes. Think about it. If we sell them at a discount we’re not going to replace them and take a further loss! When I suggested that can’t be right, can you check with someone, he put me on hold and came back later and said “yes, it’s just as I said”. I repeat, one of the dumbest conversations ever.

I thanked him for his time and have moved on to looking at Toyo and Continentals. See more on the Continental thread.

BTW, the Michelin reps assured me that per their internal engineering documents, the only difference between the XGA2, which I have, and the new X-Line tires is an “even softer compound for better ride”, no changes to sidewall as the dealer had told me.

At this point, I’m pretty sure my next tires are not Michelins. The Contis have the same limited 7 year warranty that Michelin just recently announced. They tell me they have stronger sidewall and the tire core is rated for three retreads for over the road rigs, so I think that says something about their confidence in the quality of their basic tire carcass. They also own General Tire and just recently purchased Hoosier tires. The Conti USA plant is in Mt Vernon, IL. The Toyos are from South Korea.

I did have a fun conversation with the FMCA reps after the Michelin call. I also told them that a $50 discount under walk in the door price wasn’t much of a discount, I don’t care what the MSRP is. The Continental discount is about $200-250 under the street price.

FWIW!

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi 43' DS Millennium Edition
San Antonio, TX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Michelin Tire Facts Update - mbulriss - 02-15-2018, 23:39
RE: Michelin Tire Facts Update - mbulriss - 05-02-2018 17:46

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)