Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale
06-05-2018, 23:21
Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale
Well, 2500 miles into an extended trip was pretty uneventful until Sunday. After only about 40-50 miles, I had to pull over for a passenger issue. Motorist following us pulls up and screams “you need to check your toad, rear wheels smoking bad, about to catch fire!” Thanks!

No, the brake calipers ARE ON FIRE when I run back. Brake fluid leaking and burning. Looks like a Saturday nite short track NASCAR event. Hit them with a fire extinguisher, borrow neighbor’s water and quench the rear wheels, rotors, calipers with water until cool enough to touch with bare hand. Now that’s under control, what happened to cause this? First thought, forgot to release parking brake after hooking up? Nope, parking brake off. But - mystery solved - Blue Ox Brake Buddy is in full on mode trying to break the seat base off! WTH? Rip it out of position and disconnect it. Ask bystander to see if there is any noise as I try to move forward. Nope, no noise, wheels turning freely. Continmue on trip, stooping and checking about every 5-10 miles for the next thirty miles. Everything good, continue with trip, worry about fix later.

About 30 miles later, about 10 miles from destination for the day(!), we hit a construction area. Slow to about 20-25 mph and continue riding the brakes. Hit last bump. Much worse than expected. Bus bumps, Hummer bumps so that I can see the whole Hummer grill in the rear view camera and monitor! Well that can’t be good! Brake softly immediately while steering to shoulder waiting for the hit. Feel one soft issue but then see Hummer in the monitor. Stop in probably 50-75 feet past some guard rails. Run back to inspect the mess.

Well, there used to be a Blue Ox tow bar here. No longer!
[attachment=2122]
Major organ failure on the Blue Ox hitch assembly shown. [attachment=2123][attachment=2124]
That major clevis connector was cast aluminum! Only good news is the arms flipped under the Hummer and acted as a brake against the 10,000 lb safety straps.[attachment=2125][attachment=2126] So minimal damage to the Bird (probably about $2k of fiberglass and paint work)

24 hours and many $$$ later, Hummer is in a shop awaiting arrival of all new brake calipers, rotors, pads, rear grease seals, and maybe new e-brake parts, as needed. New DEMCO tow bar (all steel and 10,500 lb rated) on order from Tweety’s, due by end of day Monday. Hope to be back under way on Wednesday of next week. Then to Texas Custom Coach for rear bumper and corner fiberglass repair from minor impact and off road adventure during tow bar break (huge rear overhang was also not tolerant of arched shoulder, but no real choices there!)

Needless to say, not a good Sunday. And, needless to say, I have sworn off Blue Ox products.

FWIW,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale - mbulriss - 06-05-2018 23:21

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)