Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale
06-07-2018, 15:37 (This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 15:38 by davidbrady.)
RE: Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale
(06-07-2018 13:17)RainbowrvGreg Wrote:  one of the problems with aluminum parts is it is hard to see cracks because the primer paint seems to stick better and there is no rust to show during a walk around. aluminum also lacks rebound like seel. you can bend steel out of shape and back several times but aluminum just fails.

In a different thread I asked about Blue Ox discontinuing my Aventa LX tow bar. The Aventa LX has steel arms, but that ball and socket gizmo is aluminum, Sad. Luckily it's not painted or powder coated so I can inspect it for cracks. I found this reasonably priced aluminum crack detection kit on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dye-Penetrant-Cra...B00XLW4BRC; it consists of a cleaner, a dye penetrant, and a developer, no back light needed. Magnaflux also makes a kit but it's twice the money. True, if you keep steel stresses below around 30,000 psi it'll never fatigue; whereas, aluminum is always fatiguing no matter how low the stress.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes davidbrady's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Done with Blue Ox - a cautionary tale - davidbrady - 06-07-2018 15:37

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)