Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generator exhaust
06-11-2020, 13:01
Generator exhaust
I am new to this forum, and the new owner of a 1985 PT 36. My coach is in great condition with only a few minor things that need work.
The previous owner had the generator serviced just prior to the sale. The shop removed it from the tray and installed new seals and gaskets. After getting home with the coach, I discovered that a portion of the generator's exhaust is missing.
I have the original Perkins/ Kohler unit. Everything to the rear of the slide out tray is in a fixed position. From the manifold on the engine, the exhaust goes to the rear about twelve inches, turns down about twelve inches, and then turns to the rear for about twelve more inches where there is a male threaded flange. Then nothing until a slightly flared part bolted to a portion of the frame. Past this to the rear is the rest of the pipe and muffler. When the tray is in the out position there are about twenty four inches between these two parts and less than two inches when the tray is closed. I initially thought a portion of pipe was meant to slide into the flared part to the rear of the tray, but the pipe turns up and over the steering tie rod about ten inches to the rear of the flared part.
I would greatly appreciate any help and/or direction to a thread on the forum where this might have already been discussed.
Thanks!

John Lawrence
1985 PT 36
East Texas
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2020, 12:58 (This post was last modified: 06-13-2020 13:01 by mbulriss.)
RE: Generator exhaust
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new acquisition. I really enjoyed my 83 PT40. Those things are battle tank tough. From memory, I agree with your initial thought that “a portion of pipe was meant to slide into the flared part to the rear of the tray“. The pipes coming off the Perkins should go into the flared portion when the tray is retracted. Sounds like something got put back together incorrectly on reinstall. As another thought, If the exhaust system had repairs, perhaps the flare wasn’t reinstalled far enough forward. Should be relatively easy to repair. As a benefit the old PTs had way more clearance to work under than my 91 WB and especially my current LXi. Just make darn sure you drive it up on solid ramps before getting under there and block the drive wheels also. I use stacked 2x12s to drive up on.

Good luck.

Mike Bulriss
2001 LXi 43' DS Millennium Edition
San Antonio, TX
06-13-2020, 16:48
Thanks Mike. I am fairly sure my local muffler shop can help with the missing portion. It just had not occurred to me that the entire exhaust system would not remain connected with the tray open.
John

John Lawrence
1985 PT 36
East Texas
06-14-2020, 22:34
John, I was reading your message again. Isn’t that pipe off the Perkins solid threaded plumbing pipe? I think you wrote that the end was threaded. Can you just get a short piece of matching pipe and threaded collar to match the existing piece to extend it into the flanged piping. It does not have to go in very far because when the Perkins is running there will be enough exhaust pressure to create a Venturi effect at the flanged area and keep the exhaust gases going In the directIon they should to the exhaust pipe exit. Just a thought.

Mike Bulriss
San Antonio, TX
06-15-2020, 12:17
Hey Mike, that is what I was thinking as well. From the manifold on the Perkins to the threaded portion is all cast iron. It has all the original blanket on it, so without taking that off, I am not sure how many sections it is made of. The threaded end looks to be one and one half inch pipe thread and is cast iron as well. When the tray is closed there are about two inches between the threaded end and the flared part that connects to standard exhaust pipe. Though the flare and into the pipe looks to be about ten inches before the pipe bends upward.
Everything from the flare to the rear, and the manifold to the cast iron pipe thread appears to be original equipment. The unit only has 516 hours on it and there are only 50,000 miles on the coach. It spent most of it's life in interior storage with very little use.
It seems to me too, that a section of pipe threaded onto the iron and then sliding into the flare was the way it must have been built.
What do you think? How far into the flare and how tight should it fit?

John Lawrence
1985 PT 36
East Texas
06-16-2020, 19:13
Problem solved. Easy and simple to Fix. The collar and a short piece of pipe was all that was needed.
Thanks Mike.

John Lawrence
1985 PT 36
East Texas
06-16-2020, 23:32
Easy fixes are the best fixes! Glad you got her right!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
06-22-2020, 22:14 (This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 23:44 by mbulriss.)
John,
Good job! Sorry I didn’t respond sooner but I was chasing DDEC issues Right up to departure and then we we were on the road To Baytown for the NHRA event with Mike & Barb McMahan (long time BB owners and old racing buddies).

Now that you accomplished that, it sounds like you’ll be fine keeping other issues under control by yourself. And we’re here to help answer questions. Those PTs are great rigs and quite bulletproof.

Mike Bulriss
San Antonio, TX

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)