RE: Apple Ipad Feedback Please
Big Grin

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 23:47 (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 23:52 by nedb.)
(02-28-2013 14:18)Endless Summer Wrote:  I have a cell signal enabled iPad and use it as a GPS - sometimes native, sometimes with a Bad Elf dongle. I have it mounted in the bus with a RAM mount setup

I've been using a 64 Gb AWS-cellular iPad for a year, and I love having it when away from home. It doesn't even have the Retina display, but the display seems exquisite to me anyway. No scratches, even after a year, on the display--very hard glass!

Apple proprietary connector held me back for a while--you can get an adapter to make the apple connector a USB connector, but the iPad might tell you that the device you've connected draws too much power to use it. It wouldn't use my Garmin GPS, but apparently the Bad Elf gps dongle is the way to go for GPS functionality. Anyway, I started carrying a lightweight Air laptop now to do the things the iPad won't. Ironically, I got the iPad in hopes of ditching the whole netbook/notebook/portable PC thing. But now I'm in love with iPads and laptops again--they're agreeable to me when I relate to them for the things they do well.

Having a cellular chip enabled iPad is worth the drag on monthly budgets caused by getting mixed up with AWS or Verizon contracts, which I generally deplore but in this case have found to be generally very useful. A note later (below) about AWS contracts.

iPads are heavier than a simple book reader, like a wifi or cellular Kindle. An iPad is heavy like a Kindle Fire, which is too heavy to be a book reader as far as I'm concern. I don't much like the iPad (or Fire) for reading books. If you squeeze the iPad case too hard (like you will if you're reading 'til your thumb starts to fatigue from the weight of holding it up) my iPad somehow thinks that have swiped across the screen to turn the page. The longer I read, the more this happens. Aggravating after a while.

I have a map app called "You Need a Map" -- it has consistently blown away my Garmin automobile GPSes and their NAVTEQ map data. This software on the iPad has my back when Garmin doesn't, showing BLM dirt tracks in the desert, for example. It is really great for exploring off-road (in the Samurai dinghy, not the 'bird). I'd be lost without it Dodgy

A few other apps that make iPad so amusing are StarWalk, Tilt Meter, Theodolite, Exit (iExit, Next Exit, I forget what it is called but it has been mentioned for its info about locating services along the highway).

Starwalk is great, evocative of Apple's design philosophy and the many unimagined things a hand-help computer ought to be able to do when it has chips for compass, tilt, etc. You run the Starwalk app, select the layers of info you want to see in the display, hold it up so the camera can see the sky, and it orients its nighttime sky map on the display to the heavenly bodies you're pointing the camera at. Virtually everything in the night sky (and below the horizon, if you point it at the ground) is identified and labeled on screen--planets, constellations, nebulae, comets, stars, ..., and it tracks as you swing it around. It knows where all the satellites are at any given latitude/time of day and displays their tracks and directions.... I get a big kick out it.

Theodlite adds geodetic info to pictures you take (lat/long etc). Tilt Meter tells you how far, in degrees, the ipad is tilted from the axis of gravity--I use it to level the coach Cool

BTW, AWS has lightened up on its cellular contracts. It seems they now cancel (not suspend) your contract it if you don't use it for 30 days. I went to make a skype call on my iPad the other day, and got a message to please start a new AWS contract in order to use cellular service. THIS is the contract I've always hoped for--pay for it when you want it, let it lapse if you are off the road and don't need it. I don't know if this deal is in my market only or anything else about it. Please don't take my word for it -- check with AWS before signing up if you are expecting to get this deal.

Having fun with my iPad,

--Ned
03-05-2013, 11:29
Thank you Ned for your outstanding feedback and use cases!!!!!! I really appreciate it. Thanks to this thread I've gotten FANTASTIC ideas and uses to add to what I was going to do with it. Thanks to you and all the contributors! I'm well on my way to using that 128GB!Big GrinTongueAngel

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-05-2013, 12:11
(03-04-2013 23:47)nedb Wrote:  iPads are heavier than a simple book reader, like a wifi or cellular Kindle. An iPad is heavy like a Kindle Fire, which is too heavy to be a book reader as far as I'm concern. I don't much like the iPad (or Fire) for reading books.

~clip~

A few other apps that make iPad so amusing are StarWalk, Tilt Meter, Theodolite, Exit
Starwalk is great, evocative of Apple's design philosophy and the many unimagined things a hand-help computer ought to be able to do when it has chips for compass, tilt, etc. You run the Starwalk app, select the layers of info you want to see in the display, hold it up so the camera can see the sky, and it orients its nighttime sky map on the display to the heavenly bodies you're pointing the camera at. Virtually everything in the night sky (and below the horizon, if you point it at the ground) is identified and labeled on screen--planets, constellations, nebulae, comets, stars, ..., and it tracks as you swing it around. It knows where all the satellites are at any given latitude/time of day and displays their tracks and directions.... I get a big kick out it.

Theodlite adds geodetic info to pictures you take (lat/long etc). Tilt Meter tells you how far, in degrees, the ipad is tilted from the axis of gravity--I use it to level the coach Cool

--Ned

Thanks for your great post, Ned.
Smile
I use the previous edition Kindle in a book cover, with the special non glare ink for reading and my library. It also holds up well visually in sunlight. Smile Don't really need a Fire as I have the iPad, so that would be redundant, but last Xmas I bought the entire family, my kids, sisters, sister in law Fires and they all love theirs. They can read, email, internet, fast scroll etc. It's a pretty nifty device!

Although iPad has the kindle app, I agree it is too heavy to hold for any amount of time comfortably, so in this regard the Kindle, especially previous version works very well and is non tiring on the eyes.

I love the sound of that Skywalk app you mentioned here. We have such an incredible display of stars up at the BB farm as we are far away from any city lights.
Can't wait to try it out, and also Theodlite. Thanks!!!Big Grin

Darrell also uses the Tilt as a level. When he first got his iPad he was really tickled with that! Big Grin

Suppose the iPad 'knows' as it can flop the display up, down or sideways.
Amazing stuff! Big Grin

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
03-05-2013, 13:36
Great post Ned. I went and downloaded some of these apps on my Droid this morning. Can hardly wait to try them out. Thanks!

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
03-06-2013, 11:08
(03-05-2013 12:11)Ms. Bee Wrote:  Suppose the iPad 'knows' as it can flop the display up, down or sideways.
Amazing stuff! Big Grin

You betcha! The display rotates with the iPad.

I never used Apple devices until recently. I felt like whatever computer(s) I used, I was basically a hostage to it. But I rate Apple very highly for having gone one better than simply "thoughtful", "usable", or "intuitive." You can fall in love with an iPad, like the way you ('bird person) can practically build your 'away' life around the attributes of a great vintage vehicle. I don't know how the Apple designers do it, but with the iPad I am oblivious to any shortcomings. Intellectually, I know that I should hate the virtual keyboard, but if I peek in on my mind while I'm fumbling to type a login with mixed case alphameric characters, it seems more like a fun game than a major drawback. It is better than "well-digested design" Heart

I am glad to hear that my iPad review resonated with you guys. That little device itself seems to radiate enthusiasm. Get one, fall for it, and start missing Steve Jobs. He really had his s*** together Angel

--Ned
03-06-2013, 11:47 (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 11:55 by pgchin.)
(03-06-2013 11:08)nedb Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 12:11)Ms. Bee Wrote:  Suppose the iPad 'knows' as it can flop the display up, down or sideways.
Amazing stuff! Big Grin

You betcha! The display rotates with the iPad.

I never used Apple devices until recently. I felt like whatever computer(s) I used, I was basically a hostage to it. But I rate Apple very highly for having gone one better than simply "thoughtful", "usable", or "intuitive." You can fall in love with an iPad, like the way you ('bird person) can practically build your 'away' life around the attributes of a great vintage vehicle. I don't know how the Apple designers do it, but with the iPad I am oblivious to any shortcomings. Intellectually, I know that I should hate the virtual keyboard, but if I peek in on my mind while I'm fumbling to type a login with mixed case alphameric characters, it seems more like a fun game than a major drawback. It is better than "well-digested design" Heart

I am glad to hear that my iPad review resonated with you guys. That little device itself seems to radiate enthusiasm. Get one, fall for it, and start missing Steve Jobs. He really had his s*** together Angel

--Ned

Thanks again Ned, yep you are "da man"!!!!!!Big Grin My biggest problem now is buy the current one or believe the rumors and wait until middle of next month and buy the new one!!!!!Angry I absolutely hate chasing technology but if the new one is lighter, based on all the feedback in this thread, I might roll the dice and wait a month!!!!!!! UGHHHH!!!!!!!Undecided

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
03-06-2013, 12:04
I heartily endorse Ned's suggestions of Starwalk and You Need a Map. I used You Need a Map on a long Amtrak trip yesterday - railroad tracks are on its map database and it followed us perfectly, giving us the speed of the train and the names of all the small towns we passed thru.

Steve Fox
87 FC35
03-06-2013, 12:18
Pete,

Apple continually markets with a vague lead to their new technology. It is part of how they create demand. I have always waited and it usually pays off. I don't rush in for the first release I usually wait until the demand subsides a bit and there have been one or two updates to the new product or OS/iOS Far less drama this way and I let the keeners figure out the glitches.Big Grin

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)
03-06-2013, 12:46 (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 12:48 by pgchin.)
(03-06-2013 12:18)Itchintogo Wrote:  Pete,

Apple continually markets with a vague lead to their new technology. It is part of how they create demand. I have always waited and it usually pays off. I don't rush in for the first release I usually wait until the demand subsides a bit and there have been one or two updates to the new product or OS/iOS Far less drama this way and I let the keeners figure out the glitches.Big Grin

Thanks Gary,
I appreciate the feedback. I'm with ya 100%Big Grin There are a few other things driving the decision, but after David reported about how the various versions changed, I went out last weekend to the local corner store to "play". I have an iPhone 3gs and LOVE the feel and construction, I played with the 5 and he was right.... "chi-ency" comes to mind. So his compare of ipad1-3 rings true, to me at least. I'm still gonna go with the iPhone 5 but if the ipad4 case is better built, even though a bit heavier than the next, I may go with it. The weight thing rumor is the catch. Donna wants to use it to read books and she likes a lighter feel like Jen..... I like "strong case" so I guess I'm going to have to break out a bottle of one my "coveted" french wines and negotiate with her!!!!!!Big GrinTongue The other issue is next month BOTH my service providers contracts are up and with my pending full time retirement approaching, I'm consolidating to a "share plan" to save some bucks for MORE DIESEL!!!!!!WinkRolleyesAngel Thanks again for your input!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)