Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zerk Fittings for Lower Ball joint M450 M380
03-05-2013, 20:57
Zerk Fittings for Lower Ball joint M450 M380
How I install the Zerk fitting to the lower ball joint on our M450LXI.
Break Loosen only the 10 wheel nut on the front tire.
Jack the vehicle so that the tire and wheel can be removed off the vehicle.
Remove all the nut off the and remove the tire and wheel of the vehicle.
install jack stands under the front vehicle structure.
Complete the tire and wheel removal off the vehicle.
Locate the center of the lower ball joint and use center punch to punch a depression for the drill bit.
Use 1/8" drill bit to drill through the bottom housing of the ball joint (when drilling into the metal part always full the drill flutes with grease to catch the metal chips).
reinsert the 1/8" drill and drill through the plastic ball retainer (about 1/8" plastic) you will feel it when you drill through the plastic. Do not be concerned the ball has a 1/4" depression in it you cannot heart the ball.
Using a 7/32" (0,215") drill through ball joint bottom housing, do not drill the plastic retainer. ( Be sure to use grease in the drill flutes to catch the metal chips as you drill.
Clean area of all metal chips.
Use a 1/4" 28 tap to tap a thread in the drilled hole.
Install a 1/4" 28 Zerk fitting and add grease to the ball joint.
Reinstall the tire and wheel on the vehicle be sure to torque the wheel nuts to manufacture specs 450FT-LB. remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle to the ground and remove the jack.

Hisham and Sue Amaral
2004 Prevost XL2 Marathon (sold)
2003 Liberty H3-45 2 slide
Titusville, Florida
248-935-5390
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 23:36
RE: Zerk Fittings for Lower Ball joint M450 M380
(03-05-2013 20:57)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  How I install the Zerk fitting to the lower ball joint on our M450LXI.
Locate the center of the lower ball joint and use center punch to punch a depression for the drill bit.
Use 1/8" drill bit to drill through the bottom housing of the ball joint (when drilling into the metal part always full the drill flutes with grease to catch the metal chips).
reinsert the 1/8" drill and drill through the plastic ball retainer (about 1/8" plastic) you will feel it when you drill through the plastic. Do not be concerned the ball has a 1/4" depression in it you cannot heart the ball.
Using a 7/32" (0,215") drill through ball joint bottom housing, do not drill the plastic retainer. ( Be sure to use grease in the drill flutes to catch the metal chips as you drill.
Reinstall the tire and wheel on the vehicle be sure to torque the wheel nuts to manufacture specs 450FT-LB. remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle to the ground and remove the jack.

Hish,

That was nice of you to post the procedure. Now I don't have to hunt up the correct drills or zerk size. Actually, I'm going to have it done at Fleet Services when they change the one boot. I'll make sure the mechanic does it the same way.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
03-06-2013, 08:51
(03-05-2013 23:36)cmillsap Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 20:57)Hisham Amaral Wrote:  How I install the Zerk fitting to the lower ball joint on our M450LXI.

Hish,

That was nice of you to post the procedure. Now I don't have to hunt up the correct drills or zerk size. Actually, I'm going to have it done at Fleet Services when they change the one boot. I'll make sure the mechanic does it the same way.

Chuck
With the help of Jim Brookshier I did the right side of the coach and yesterday I did the left side ball joint. Sue was handing me the tools as I was drill tapping and install the fitting.
Chuck I would want to be there when Fleet Service did the job.

Hisham and Sue Amaral
2004 Prevost XL2 Marathon (sold)
2003 Liberty H3-45 2 slide
Titusville, Florida
248-935-5390
03-06-2013, 12:05
THANK YOU Hish for this valuable contribution. This should be a BIG help to all 380 and 450 owners everywhere!!!!!!!! Very clear concise information and procedure!!!!Big Grin
Funny story, this topic brings back memories of when I was a 13 year old kid working in the corner gas station of my home doing oil changes and lub jobs. A customer would come in with a new car and all the grease joints would be capped!Tongue I'd have to unscrew them all and install the zerk fittings before I could lube it!Wink Your process takes it one step further!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-06-2013, 12:22
(03-06-2013 12:05)pgchin Wrote:  THANK YOU Hish for this valuable contribution. This should be a BIG help to all 380 and 450 owners everywhere!!!!!!!! Very clear concise information and procedure!!!!Big Grin
Funny story, this topic brings back memories of when I was a 13 year old kid working in the corner gas station of my home doing oil changes and lub jobs. A customer would come in with a new car and all the grease joints would be capped!Tongue I'd have to unscrew them all and install the zerk fittings before I could lube it!Wink Your process takes it one step further!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!

I remember that too Pete. I was a bit older than 13 though. Ford was the brand I think of who started that first if I remember correctly.

Gary 82 PT 35 6V92 BC (Sold)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)