Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
batteries
11-12-2009, 08:05
batteries
Most systems (including Blue Birds) are set up with negative ground, so if you remove the negative cable, then the batteries are guaranteed to be isolated.
Presumably, if you disconnect the positive cable, you get the same result, but if the disconnection (by a switch, for example) isn't complete -- if something is 'tapped' before the switch -- then the disconnection is only partial.
If there is a short from a positive wire to the frame, with the negative disconnected, then there is no fire. So the negative is the 'safer' wire to disconnect. (Of course, if there's a short, you'll find it rather quickly after hooking the battery up, again.)
This is all reversed in a system with a positive ground.
Pete Masterson
(former) '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Nov 11, 2009, at 10:43 PM, gregory O wrote:

For some reason manuals often advise " disconnect the - negative" I can only assume that the negative has more paths and the positive is better insulated and safer to leave hooked up????
Greg
94ptca

--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "mariopatti1" wrote:
Hi All
Leaving the BB for a few weeks in storage . I would like to protect the batteries from going dead . Should I disconnet the cables ?
I have 4 6v house and 2 6v engine .
Mario 1985FC35 SOCAL
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2009, 08:13
batteries

Pete, It may have something to do with the flow of electrons. Contrary to popular belief, electrons flow from negative to positive.
Dan Williams,88WB38, Jackson,MS
----- Original Message -----
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Batteries

Most systems (including Blue Birds) are set up with negative ground, so if you remove the negative cable, then the batteries are guaranteed to be isolated.
Presumably, if you disconnect the positive cable, you get the same result, but if the disconnection (by a switch, for example) isn't complete -- if something is 'tapped' before the switch -- then the disconnection is only partial.
If there is a short from a positive wire to the frame, with the negative disconnected, then there is no fire. So the negative is the 'safer' wire to disconnect. (Of course, if there's a short, you'll find it rather quickly after hooking the battery up, again.)

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

For some reason manuals often advise " disconnect the - negative" I can only assume that the negative has more paths and the positive is better insulated and safer to leave hooked up????
Greg
94ptca

--- In "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com", "mariopatti1" ...> wrote:

Hi All
Leaving the BB for a few weeks in storage . I would like to protect the batteries from going dead . Should I disconnet the cables ?
Mario 1985FC35 SOCAL

11-12-2009, 08:31
batteries
When disconnecting batteries it is always best to disconnect the ground side first. If you happen to hit a ground (frame, body etc.) with the wrench you won't get a spark.

Dave Ward
80 FC 31 SB
Mesa, AZ

--- On Thu, 11/12/09, dan wrote:
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 8:13 PM

Pete, It may have something to do with the flow of electrons. Contrary to popular belief, electrons flow from negative to positive.
Dan Williams,88WB38, Jackson,MS
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:05 PM

Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA

Greg
94ptca

--- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, "mariopatti1" wrote:

Hi All
Mario 1985FC35 SOCAL

11-19-2011, 01:53
batteries
Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Crown 6 volt golf cart batteries.
Th place where I bought my Trojan's 12 years now sell only the crown.
Don Spithaler
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA
11-19-2011, 02:02
batteries
Don, when I was in Ohio last year. I had to replace my old Trojans. All I could find were Crowns. They work great. I sold the coach and the new owner has not mentioned any problems with them.

Ernie Ekberg
88 PT40
817-475-3991

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, DonS wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Batteries
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 7:53 AM

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Crown 6 volt golf cart batteries. Th place where I bought my Trojan's 12 years now sell only the crown.
Don Spithaler
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA

11-19-2011, 02:05
batteries
I believe you will find Crown about the same as the Trojan, and their pricing is about $5.00/battery less comparing the T-105 to the Crown 225. http://www.solar-electric.com/cr225am6vode.html

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"
One of the "Birds of a Feather" (BoF) Organizers

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Ernie Ekberg <"ernietex@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Don, when I was in Ohio last year. I had to replace my old Trojans. All I could find were Crowns. They work great. I sold the coach and the new owner has not mentioned any problems with them.

Ernie Ekberg
88 PT40
817-475-3991

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, DonS <"dspithaler@gmail.com"> wrote:

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Crown 6 volt golf cart batteries. Th place where I bought my Trojan's 12 years now sell only the crown.
Don Spithaler
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA

11-19-2011, 10:30
batteries
Thanks Ernie & Curt     I got 4 Crown 225's. I'll give them a try 

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Curt Sprenger <"curtsprenger@gmail.com"> wrote:

I believe you will find Crown about the same as the Trojan, and their pricing is about $5.00/battery less comparing the T-105 to the Crown 225. http://www.solar-electric.com/cr225am6vode.html

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
"curtsprenger@gmail.com"
One of the "Birds of a Feather" (BoF) Organizers

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Ernie Ekberg <"ernietex@yahoo.com"> wrote:

Ernie Ekberg
88 PT40

--- On Sat, 11/19/11, DonS <"dspithaler@gmail.com"> wrote:

Don Spithaler
89 SP 36'
Butler, PA

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)