Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show us your motorcycles
03-19-2013, 18:12
RE: Show us your motorcycles
Here's mine. She's the last of a long line of race/sportbikes.
A 1990 Yamaha OW01.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Matt Doyle
Abbotsford, B.C.
1984 FC35 - The Squanderlodge
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2013, 20:01 (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 21:03 by Richard Selin.)
If someone thinks the fastest way through the Dragon is a Gold Wing, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you! Yes, they are faster than they look. Any motorcycle is faster than it looks.

That Wing rider in the video is scoring some impressive lean angle and is actually pretty fast. However, he has used up all his traction at the apex (in fact do I hear floor boards scraping?). Half a cheek off the saddle is not exactly hanging off, and that style of riding puts a tremendous strain on the tires and chassis. He is riding with very little room for error.

On the street hang off, keep the bike more upright, and you will be both faster and safer through the corner. Go into the corner slow(er), give the bars a good push to set your lean angle, stay slow until you see the apex (and hence the corner exit), give a little more push and lean as you push into the apex, the corner should be straightening out and then you can get on the throttle and drive out of the corner a little earlier than what these Wing riders are doing. If you've apexed but you can't get on the throttle then you've either apexed early or have used up all your traction and are probably crapping yourself (and dragging bits). I NEVER hit the apex on the street with a blind exit. I wait until I can see the exit of the corner. Remember, there are OLD riders and there are BOLD riders, but there are no OLD, BOLD riders.

Here's how my favorite racer of all time, Valentino Rossi, takes a corner, probably about 4 times faster than that Wing rider. You can hear how his bike is accelerating out of the corner at the apex while still leaned over, because he hasn't used up all his traction like that Wing rider. Very very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6j2BIZc_E

Of course you can argue that is on a racetrack, so here's how it's done at IOM. Not a lot of lean angle but you can clearly see how Joey Dunlop is able to get on the throttle hard at the apex as soon as he sees the exit of the corner. Again a very very fast way to ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCYy3gXBIw

That rider on the Stelvio pass video sure swung wide on two of the right-hand hairpins in the first 4 minutes and change. Looks like he apexed early and ran wide into the oncoming lane. A textbook example of how NOT to take a corner, at least on the street where there could be traffic coming the other way.

Calgary AB Canada
1992 SP36
03-19-2013, 20:57
(03-19-2013 18:12)Matt D. Wrote:  Here's mine. She's the last of a long line of race/sportbikes.
A 1990 Yamaha OW01.

Nice ride!
03-20-2013, 00:47
Matt,

That one's sweet!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-20-2013, 01:09
(03-20-2013 00:47)Arcticdude Wrote:  Matt,

That one's sweet!

It's a pretty rare piece. Yamaha built a limited number to compete with the Honda RC30. It's not really practical for the road anymore. A modern bike works so much better.

It's nice to look at though!

Matt Doyle
Abbotsford, B.C.
03-20-2013, 09:10
(03-20-2013 01:09)Matt D. Wrote:  

That one's sweet!

It's a pretty rare piece. Yamaha built a limited number to compete with the Honda RC30. It's not really practical for the road anymore. A modern bike works so much better.

How'd it do against the Honda? The RC30 was one kick-butt bike!
03-20-2013, 09:28
(03-20-2013 09:10)gondolaguy Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 01:09)Matt D. Wrote:  

That one's sweet!

How'd it do against the Honda? The RC30 was one kick-butt bike!

It didn't enjoy as much racing success as the Honda. But these bikes were unobtainable to me when new, so when I found this one for the cost of a new 600, I had to have it. I'll probably keep it forever.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/n...revisited/

Matt Doyle
Abbotsford, B.C.
03-20-2013, 10:31
That Ow01 is awesome - hang on to it.

I put 5k miles on a BMW S1000RR. 190hp, 195 mph, right off the showroom floor. Amazing traction control - you could be leaned over in a corner in the rain, pin the the throttle, and no drama. I could see some combination of jail and hospital time in my future so I sold it.

Here it is at Seneca Rocks, WV - an excellent riding area.

Steve Fox
87 FC35
03-20-2013, 12:11
Those RR's were sweet looking rides. My local beemer dealer closed before I had the chance to test drive one.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-20-2013, 13:43 (This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 13:44 by gondolaguy.)

There's been a yellow one, low miles on Craigslist and every time I see it I ask myself "C-o-r-e-y, you know you want it, you know you deserve it......C-o-r-e-y..." only the thought of finding a pristine Benelli TnT in yellow/gold keeps my twitching fingers from dialing the guy up.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)