Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show us your motorcycles
03-17-2013, 10:31
RE: Show us your motorcycles
Though I have had BMWs for a long time as my primary ride, I do buy other brands now and then as second bikes. Here is a little Sportster I built a few years ago. Great sound, nice ride as long as corners weren't involved.Dodgy

Steve Fox
87 FC35
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2013, 10:42
(03-17-2013 10:31)Endless Summer Wrote:  Though I have had BMWs for a long time as my primary ride, I do buy other brands now and then as second bikes. Here is a little Sportster I built a few years ago. Great sound, nice ride as long as corners weren't involved.Dodgy

Sweet lookin ride. Like the colors.
03-18-2013, 12:32 (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 12:42 by pgchin.)
(03-17-2013 10:31)Endless Summer Wrote:  Though I have had BMWs for a long time as my primary ride, I do buy other brands now and then as second bikes. Here is a little Sportster I built a few years ago. Great sound, nice ride as long as corners weren't involved.Dodgy

Beauty I'll say, com'on now, I bet you can earn your dragon stripes of 11 miles in a 11 minutes with 318 curves on that thing on US 129!Big GrinTongueRolleyesWink hahahahahaha I did it on a dresser, albeit I think it took me 11 hours!!!! :-0................

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-18-2013, 14:13
Fastest time (last time I looked) on the dragon was done by a guy on a Wing. Don't count those dressers out. Mine have seen those curves a couple of times now. The always get lighter and the floorboards thinner!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-18-2013, 14:18 (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 14:39 by gondolaguy.)
Back when I sold Hondas I referred the the 1500 Wing as the world's largest sport bike. I even learned to wheelie it without disaster. Funny...no one ever wanted to sell my demo....hmmm
03-18-2013, 15:09 (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 15:09 by davidbrady.)
(03-18-2013 14:13)Arcticdude Wrote:  Fastest time (last time I looked) on the dragon was done by a guy on a Wing. Don't count those dressers out. Mine have seen those curves a couple of times now. The always get lighter and the floorboards thinner!

What do they say John? Something like "quickness is 90% rider 10% bike", sounds close to the truth to me. I always liked the saying, "the bike knows what to do, it's the rider that screws things up"! Smile

(03-18-2013 14:18)gondolaguy Wrote:  Back when I sold Hondas I referred the the 1500 Wing as the world's largest sport bike. I even learned to wheelie it without disaster. Funny...no one ever wanted to sell my demo....hmmm

Very impressive Corey! Cool

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-18-2013, 15:51 (This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 15:59 by Endless Summer.)
(03-18-2013 12:32)pgchin Wrote:  Beauty I'll say, com'on now, I bet you can earn your dragon stripes of 11 miles in a 11 minutes with 318 curves on that thing on US 129!Big GrinTongueRolleyesWink hahahahahaha I did it on a dresser, albeit I think it took me 11 hours!!!! :-0................

I went to Europe about 18 months ago to ride the Alpine passes on a BMW F800ST. One pass we did was Stelvio, on the Italy-Swiss border, which was spectacular but by no means not the most dangerous one we did. Every hairpin is first gear, walking speed, uphill, no shoulders, traffic. The video that follows is not me, but good.

S1000RR on Stelvio

Steve Fox
87 FC35
03-18-2013, 16:26
Breathtaking Steve! Top Gear is right, US roads are straight! Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-19-2013, 13:14 (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 13:56 by gondolaguy.)
Tapoco, North Carolina
May 22, 2005

Motorcyclist Larry Zoia (aka "Larry in Michigan") shattered the record yesterday on an eleven-mile stretch of US Highway 129 in North Carolina known as the Tail of the Dragon in a display of skill and patience that had motorcyclists and sports car drivers shaking their heads and talking to themselves while law enforcement officers checked the calibration on their radar devices.

Mr. Zoia turned in the longest non-stop time in history for negotiating the 318 turns, riding at speeds that would elicit middle-finger erections, horn-honking and jeers in a supermarket parking lot.

"I've never seen anything like it," one observer noted. "I didn't think a bike could go that slow and still remain upright."

Another observer stated, "It might have been an optical occlusion, but the sun, moving from east to west in the sky, seemed to pass him during the run."

The rider directly behind Zoia said, "Sixty minutes into the run, I knew I was watching history in the making as he entered the third turn, bolt upright, as leaning at that speed would result in a certain crash."

A local law enforcement officer commented, "He didn't register on my radar at all, so I walked along beside him for a while, just to make sure it wasn't a hologram or some other cheap Yankee trick."

At the end of the historic run, another observer commented, "He was so slow, I was looking for a slimey trail behind him."

The light went on simultaneously for all present.

There was a new sheriff in town.....and he was called

"The Snail of the Dragon".

I'd like to believe that a Wing holds the record for Tail of the Dragon, but my knowledge of physics makes me think it's more of an urban legend. There's no question experience counts, but a modern sport bike just has huge advantages in weight, stopping power, acceleration, CoG, etc. Here's how a modern race bike looks in real time, imagine going off at Isle of Mann http://vimeo.com/53551115
03-19-2013, 16:16 (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 16:25 by Arcticdude.)
Take a look at this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Wings are deceivingly quick. The CG is very low, and while there's a bunch of weight to handle, the motor has a ton of torque and moves it much faster than people expect. Once you realize the lean angle is pretty good, you can really turn up the wick on a Wing. I've posted about 6k miles on an 1800. Fun ride!

At the time, my main ride was a V65 Sabre, just for a point of reference. Wink

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
[+] 1 user Likes Arcticdude's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)