Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Campgrounds for an Asheville, NC WAGU Rally
03-12-2013, 16:13 (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 16:30 by pgchin.)
Potential Campgrounds for an Asheville, NC WAGU Rally
I saw in the other thread that the "greater WAGU" was planning a rally in the greater Asheville Area. Donna and I used Ashville and the Blue Ridge Mountains as our second home for well over two decades so I figured I'd mention 3 places that could accommodate a Rally:

Tom Johnson's in Marion, NC just off 40:
http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Page.as...round.aspx
Close proximity to downtown Asheville and the Builtmore estate. MASSIVE campground, all paved spots 50amps full hookups.... a second HUGE campground that has grass spots BUT also has a HUGE room you can use for a meeting. RV dealer on site WITH Prevosts..yes the Tom Johnson of Charotte, NC that sells to the NASCAR teams... go Play if you want to, this is his other store and he does keep them here as well!Big Grin

Bear Creek Campground:
http://www.ashevillebearcreek.com/
Closest proximity to downtown Asheville and the Builtmore estate. If you walk out their exit it overlooks the Builtmore Winery wine fields. They held a Prevost Proud Rally here one year. Full hookups and 50 amps BUT the sites are a bit tight( old school)!!!!!! You can do it here but it won't have a "resort" feel.

Outdoor Resorts RV Resort:
http://www.outdoor-resorts.com/blueridge/
Prevost now holds their rally's here, but it it not close to the downtown Ashville or the Builtmore, you can drive.......... BUT a specular upscale place to hold a rally.

This place will not be big enough for a good size rally but if you want to camp on the top of a mountain and truly look down at God's country like you were on mount Olympus from your bus window or awning, then this is it!:
http://www.campfirelodgings.com/

FWIW Fall leaf peeping is THEIR Season, bug bucks and advanced reservations.......so think about that, and I do mean most places book up years in advance, even today!!!!!!!!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2013, 11:02 (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 11:04 by davidbrady.)
RE: Potential Campgrounds for an Asheville, NC WAGU Rally
Thanks Pete,

I'd like to add Rutledge Lake Campground in Fletcher to the list. This campground is very conveniently located. I'll call them today to see about reserving space for the 2013 WaGu Asheville Rally.

http://www.rutledgelake.com/

Also, depending upon the number of folks coming, and if dry camping is okay, there's always the possibility of Camp David, (AKA, my 26 acres out back Smile)!

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-13-2013, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 13:22 by pgchin.)
(03-13-2013 11:02)davidmbrady Wrote:  Thanks Pete,

I'd like to add Rutledge Lake Campground in Fletcher to the list. This campground is very conveniently located. I'll call them today to see about reserving space for the 2013 WaGu Asheville Rally.

Also, depending upon the number of folks coming, and if dry camping is okay, there's always the possibility of Camp David, (AKA, my 26 acres out back Smile)!

Hi David,
Yeah, we used to stay there until the original owners sold a few years ago due to health problems. It would be fine for a 10-25 bus gather'in but any bigger would be an issue. It is also VERY TIGHT, like parking lot tight with buses parked back to back with 2-3 ft of space, BUT a very NICE place with a BEAUTIFUL lake to walk the dogs and exercise around, close to Downtown and the Estate, CLOSE to all the big box shopping stores and malls............ and no tighter than Bear Creek. They also have cabins to rent like bear creek for no busers. They also have a club house and deck on the lake big enough for 40-50 people for pot lucks and seminars. Good choice for a smaller gatherin! If you are in the under 30 bird catagory, that would be my first choice as well. You could negate the parking thing by getting a couple of the back rows to park all the birds, will make tours REAL easy and on the fly yack sessions. Impromptu street parties would also be a breeze, small or large.Big Grin FWIW if you get beyond 30-50 birds, Tom Johnson's would be the place you want to be JMHO........ have fun, I'm sure you guys will have a BLAST!!!!!!!WinkBig GrinTongue

PS Tip, one thing I forgot to mention is that if you've never been leaf peeping in the Blue Ridge mountains via the parkway, it should be on your bucket list. Driving, hiking whatever, truly one of God's gifts to us. NOW, during season, the weekends on the parkway are like NYC traffic! So plan to have a few days in the middle of the week and you will enjoy the parkway MUCH more,. if you can! All these places listed above have easy access to the parkway for this.

Here is a funny story about the sitting POTUS during his first year. We missed him by 2 days!!....... We were hiking around the original hunting cabin of the Biultmores, there's a 20 mile trail from the estate to the old hunting cabin site. You can reach it though from one of the parkway overlooks on a short 1/2 mile hike. Well, so WAS POTUS 2 days later and friends of ours who were rv'ing with us actually ran into him. The secret service ahead and behind POTUS and stopped our friends, told them POTUS and his wife were hiking, if they did not mind having their backpacks searched, they could MEET them!!!!!!! What did you think they said! :-) Heck yeah..........lucky friends!!!!!!!! It was in the local papers the day after how POTUS was in the area, NOT before!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-13-2013, 14:53
In reading the rv park reviews site, Rutledge Lake has the best overall reviews of those mentioned so far (and of the others listed). I would think all the places might be tight, excepting the Tom Johnson's. Just the nature of the area.

I would think that we need to pick dates now, just to remotely be sure of space in any place.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-13-2013, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 21:01 by davidbrady.)
I reserved space at Rutledge Lakes CG for ten coaches, five nights starting on Oct 3rd. Everything is changeable but the start date. They're filled up for the rest of the month. We need to firm up how many spaces we need and how many nights - ten and five tentatively.

david brady,

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2013, 20:57
We're #2! Do we need to call the campground to take one of those 10 spaces?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
03-13-2013, 21:01 (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 21:04 by davidbrady.)
Yippee! WaGu Asheville Rally Lives & Rules! I can hardly wait! Smile

Must compose myself... Uh-em..

Yes, John, everyone needs to call Rutledge Lakes Campground to prepay their reservation... Smile $40.00 per night.

david brady,

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-13-2013, 21:27
I got an answering machine and left my message. Now we wait!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
03-14-2013, 10:29
FYI, the reservations office is open 10-5 est.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)