Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter Minders for Dummies
03-31-2013, 14:06 (This post was last modified: 03-31-2013 14:18 by pgchin.)
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies
(03-31-2013 12:11)davidmbrady Wrote:  Al,

For clarity, this is the filter to stay away from: Wix 46580 or Napa 6580. The CFM rating isn't half of what the Series-60 requires. Put this in front of an S-60's intake and the fuel will be ramped up do to oxygen starvation and the exhaust temps will escalate, meanwhile the filter will be feeding bits of cellulose to the turbo! Drawing 1170 CFM thru this filter will likely cause engine damage. Stay away!

PARTS DETAIL
Principal Application: Caterpillar Stationary Engines
Style: Air Filter Panel
Service: Cabin Air
Length: 15.000
Width: 15.000
Height: 5.500
CFM: 570

David,
Ok, first off happy holiday to the WAGU spaghetti factory if this is your weekend!!!!!! IF not Happy weekend!

second, I did TOO much celebration last night and lost the fight to a 12year old bottle of single malt scotch!CoolTongue So I am a bit SLOW so David I have some questions for you but I MAY be wrong so please treat me gently given my current zombie condition!!!!!!WinkAngel

Questions and Theory Que up the aflac duck please! HAHHHHH

So I run a 1/2 the required CFM air filter on an s60 turbo. Humm seat of the pants and well as actual performance goes up and I am as happy as a clam!!!! Fuel economy goes up too yeah!!!!!!! Why is that? OK here's my theory that you need to poke holes in please, I would appreciate it!

The s60 is an ECM controlled engine so the computer can compensate various conditions within its programming. A more restrictive air flow is sensed by the various sensors so the S60 ECM compensates by:
1) Leaning out the fuel mixture for better MPG
2) sensing the reduced inlet pressure so it spins up the turbo with more boost to compensate for it
3) Increased boost and the turbo being more active more time means more performance

Yeah I'm happy no? UGH well actually no, the above is correct but if you refer back to the science of Newtons third law (thanks Gary)
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/ne.../u2l4a.cfm

I am going to have to PAY for that increased performance. The cost of the turbo working more constantly and at higher boost will yield increased
heat as I am also running a leaner mixture through an already high compression diesel engine. That lean mixture coupled with the additional heat will eventually cause catastrophic consequences as the added heat and leaner mixture was NOT an s60 design point so I'll break a cam, throw a rod, burn up a wet sleeve oring, punch a hole in the head gasket, I don't know but SOMETHING will let loose, no?

Rationale:
The reason I bring this up is because last night as I was yacking with Donna and celebrating through the bottom of that scotch bottle, I was reminiscing about my bad boy days street racing on Long Island as a kid. I had a hopped up ss396 camaro and owned a gas station. A self taught mechanic learning the trade from professionals since I was 12 years old I experience Newtons 3rd law first hand. When I went to College only then did I realized it was his 3rd law: Anyway I had that ss396 leaned out and flowing BIG AIR.... it SCREAMED and I never lost a street race for $$$$ two months later I threw a rod through the block. My 65 year old mechanic partner said to me you dope, too lean, too hot go BOOM... now go pay for it ya smuck!Angel
Addendum: Being the sneaky little angel I was and truly believed if you cant beat um, cheat um ....... I went down to my local chevy high performance dealer and ordered a 454 high performance boat engine short block. I had it bored, stroked, bearings polished, the works. I also took this ss396 high performance heads and had them flowed and blueprinted. I then painted the whole deal STOCK LOW PERFORMANCE ORANGE like a plain ol 396 325 HP engine. I had a RICH cab setup in the trunk and when I set up a race, I'd swap the carbs out so I would NOT RUN LEAN and blow it up again!;)rolleyes: Sneaky punk kid who is now a whiley old man!WinkRolleyes And yes, the moral of the story is I had to work 2 jobs to get enough money to pay for that new short block and performance work. There goes that dumb newtons law again...humm more work to make more money is the reaction to me being a DUMB uneducated punk know it all kid!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies - pgchin - 03-31-2013 14:06

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)