Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter Minders for Dummies
04-01-2013, 11:40 (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 11:57 by pgchin.)
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies
(03-31-2013 15:08)davidmbrady Wrote:  Pete you crack me up as always big Bros. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Well played last night! You gotta watch that high octane imbibation (is that a word)! Hahaha! To much of that and you'll have your SI's mixed up with your CI's. Smile

You Wile-E-Coyote, you're trying to pull one over on us aren't you?
Little Brother,
And once again the ever super intelligent and lightning quick Road Runner outsmarts the ole Wile-E-Coyoye AGAIN!Big GrinWink Yep just having fun on the WAGU spaghetti factory to get a few chuckles! Cool BTW GREAT dissertation on the operations of a diesel engine and comparison to spark ignition, I bow to the Roadrunner!Smile

Wagu, bottom line as all these post say, if you want to do a little tuning to your s60, just replace the exhaust system with Stainless and a high flowing muffler as the ever smart 'Roadrunner" did a while ago. You will need to do it ANYWAY when it gets old and worn so this stainless tuning setup will be a small cost increase to something you are going to have to do as a maintenance item. Your engine and engine room temp will go down and your engine will not work as hard! There Gary am I learning from you? Was that "net enough"!Big Grin Our resident roadrunner also used the same science and independently came to the same conclusion as Banks tuning as I previously stated! And Banks has a full time team of engineers working a plethora of engines! Good deal!

(03-31-2013 20:16)davidmbrady Wrote:  
(03-31-2013 16:55)Ms. Bee Wrote:  David and of course Pete too,

I hate to sound like a dumb blonde, but being the fact that I am a woman, although not a priest, would you both mind clarifying for me, would this be the case for LXi's only or would it be the same all D Series 60's? Say a 95, 96, 97 Bird?

What I mean to say, if you were to trial test this, could you do it using any Bird with a DS60, or would it have to be done exclusively with LXi's???

Inquiring blondes want to know!

Thanks, guys! Smile

Hi Jennifer,

That's okay, we all have our blonde moments! LOL Smile All joking aside, folks, I have met Ms. Bee and her husband Darrell and I know Ms. Bee is accomplished and capable!

Any S-60 equipped Wanderlodge will do. I'm most familiar with the LXi, and it's the Filter Minder and the intake system of the LXi that was originally under question. I know the stock intake system is free-flowing and within Detroit Diesel specs. I know that mine runs too good and the mileage is too good for there to be any question about restriction, and my calculations bear this out. I'll be on the road on Tuesday driving back home from Pa to NC. I'll report the exact boost I see as I shift thru the gears via my Silverleaf VMSpc. I know that I routinely see 29.5 psi of boost during hill climbs and I come close to that on every gear shift on the flats, but I'll report the exact numbers later.

As far as intake restriction on other S60 equipped wanderlodge models, I don't know. I know that the LXi has three 90 degree bends including the ECO-SM air filter. I've read that other models of S60 equipped wanderlodges may have more, depending upon who's counting. The LXi is pretty darn near perfect the way it is, and if someone is going to allege differently then they're going to have to prove it to me with real data from a standardized and well thought out test bed or test scenario. Prove it to me.

Ok Jen,
NOW who is looking for chuckles!WinkBig GrinTongue Thanks for this post BTW as it got me thinking (actually remembering) and I can actually add something here OMG!Rolleyes The 95-96 s60s have a different engine cradle. I mentioned this to Darrell when we were at Carabelle. In 97, Bluebird lowered the engine cradle 12-18 inches on s60 equipped birds to accommodate a full walk in closet option. This carried over to all subsequent years and LXi's. Net, my engine sits 12-18 inches higher than any s60 equipped model starting in 97, so my plumbing both inlet and exhaust is VERY different so all of Davids calculations are valid on s60's 97- 2003. I am willing to hazard a swag that the calculations David did for The LXI'S would carry over to 95-96 s60's subject to some "noise level" variant one need not worry about.

David, forgot to add that fight with the 12 year old single malt scotch over the weekend reminded me of another Toby Kieth bridge: " I ain't as good as I once was, I got some years on me now. But there was a time, back in prime, when I could really thow'em down!WinkAngel hehe!

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Filter Minders for Dummies - pgchin - 04-01-2013 11:40

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)