Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photography
03-22-2013, 04:43 (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 05:24 by Richard Selin.)
Photography
David has shown me some encouragement with regard to photography, so here goes. Show us your photos. If you want a critique, please ask and I will do my best. I will also try to give some instructional tips.

My background: amateur photographer for many years. I have completed 7/8 of a photography certificate through Southern Alberta Institute of Technology and have completed Summer Intensive, Professional Studies, and Advanced Intensive Programs at Rocky Mountain School of Photography.

To get us started, I am in LA right now and did some street photography today. A lot of the photos were literally "from the hip", no viewfinder, with a little bit of motion swing occasionally to make things interesting. This tends to make your photos more dynamic and liberates you from the tyranny of the LCD screen or viewfinder. The easiest way to do it is to just start walking and snap the shutter (a lot!).

Set your camera to Aperture Priority or Manual (if you know how to make manual exposure adjustments). Choose a smaller aperture (f/8 or so) and focus at infinity. Choose a wide focal length, as wide as you can get. This will help keep everything in focus. Also, the wider the lens angle, the closer you can get to your subject. Don't be afraid if things blur a bit from motion or otherwise. Keep everything "loose". You will be amazed with the results as you get shots at rotated angles and from a "down low" perspective. Keep checking your shots on the screen and if you see something you like you can use the viewfinder or screen and work on the composition or exposure. Or, just keep the camera down low and move it around the subject to get different compositions. Don't be afraid to point up or down, although be aware that a wide angle lens will distort straight lines that are not parallel to the lens, i.e., if you tilt the camera up at a building you will get strong converging vertical lines that may or may not be pleasing to the eye.

For reference, my shutter speeds ranged from 1/30 to 1/125 s. At 1/30 s for sure you will get some motion blur, either from the camera or people moving.

The goal here is to experiment, mix it up (both "composed" and "from the hip" shots), let go of your preconceived notions of seeing and taking a photograph, and have some fun with the results! There will be a lot of misses, but the hits will make up for it, so take lots of photos. It will sure make for more interesting vacation photos!

The following are a sample and are meant to inspire you.

Calgary AB Canada
1992 SP36
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2013, 09:49
RE: Photography
What a great idea Richard. Sort of intuitive photogrhaphy - shoot from the hip! Who woulda thought! I like it. Can't wait to start! Thanks. Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
03-22-2013, 12:43
The joy of digital capture!

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-22-2013, 17:22
Interesting composition, Richard.
I like the play of the patterns on the sidewalk juxtaposed against the angles of the buildings and it all put on a tilt.
Sort of feels like how the real world does sometimes.
Thanks for sharing! Wink

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
03-24-2013, 09:41
Nice. We spent a few days last year in Fez, Morocco. The locals do not want their picture taken so I took quite a few "from the hip".
Used a 24-105 lens usually on AV f8 or so. One difference is rather than focusing on infinity I pre-focused at a closer point which helped since most shots were 10-20 feet away.
Some shots can be seen here: http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/2012...chive.html

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1998 Newell 45' double slide
2004 Z71 toad with Rzr 570LE
03-24-2013, 18:32 (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 18:43 by DOSZORROS.)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage I tried some photos the other day under the heading, what a Wanderlodge can do and received no response other than being chastised for mislabeling a photo. I thought I would try some under the heading photography and see if anyone enjoys them.

The pictures below are from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, where we have a winter home.

1: Stormy sunset
2. San Carlos Marina
3. San Carlos Bay
4. San Carlos sunset
5. Tarantula (about the size of your palm)
6. Stick bug (an insect that looks like a stick)
7. Our Casa in San Carlos

Edited post

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com
03-24-2013, 18:55
(03-24-2013 18:32)DOSZORROS Wrote:  I tried some photos the other day under the heading, what a Wanderlodge can do and received no response other than being chastised for mislabeling a photo. I thought I would try some under the heading photography and see if anyone enjoys them.

The pictures below are from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, where we have a winter home.

1: Stormy sunset
2. San Carlos Marina
3. San Carlos Bay
4. San Carlos sunset
5. Tarantula (about the size of your palm)
6. Stick bug (an insect that looks like a stick)
7. Our Casa in San Carlos

Edited post

Wow we've got some serious talent here! Big Grin
I'm so glad David had the vision to open a photography section.

DosZorros, are you a professional photographer as well? Because the first three look like postcard quality. I don't mean that as an insult, but hopefully you know what I mean. I could see what beautiful colors and landscape they were before I even opened the thumbnails. Beautiful representations of the areas.

The tarantula on the baked desert floor is interesting too, but not really my cup of tea (spidersConfused) but from a naturalist viewpoint, it's also very good is su casa. What a great place to live!

Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for sharing.

Ms. Bee

Jennifer and Darrell Snell
2000 LXi ME SS
Florida - Palm Harbor and McAlpin
03-24-2013, 21:14
George,

Truly spectacular! And I would have posted in the other thread, but I figured most everybody has already seen a Walmart parking lot!! Big Grin. Haven't had ours long enough to get to anyplace for great pictures. Of course, the last picture I tried to take was of a unicorn. My picture made him look like a bear. Wink

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-25-2013, 13:19 (This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 13:21 by pgchin.)
Where's Rodney Dangerfield when ya need him, haaaaa!Big Grin I get NO RESPECT in the spaghetti factory!

Dennis, I posted on your other thread the blue ridge parkway around Asheville and Boone, NC

Jenn, you need to be careful, you never know when someone has a camera around and you get "found out!":DTongueWink 3rd pic, "awning on the right hand side is YOUR BUS with its nose in the pic!" Angel Ha- busted girlfriend! That don't look like no Walmart to me!

Pic's taken in Carabelle Fl, Ho-hum campground Fall 2011:

http://hohumrvpark.com/

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage

Pete and Donna Chin
95 42' WLWB
On The Road Always! :-)
" We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces singing,
Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses!"
-Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
- The bridge from Toby Keith's title album track "beer for my horses"
03-25-2013, 17:35 (This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 17:38 by DOSZORROS.)
MsBee:

I am not a professional photographer. I am a redneck with an inexpensive digital camera, a Wanderlodge and an urge to wander.

Here are some pictures from southern Mexico.

1. Bull cart near Oaxaca
2. Bull cart near Mitla
3. Mitla Mayan Indian ruins
4. Burro pack train
5. Mitla Church built atop Mayan ruins

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage İmage

2003 LXI dbl. slide

George & Norma Fox
Mexico in Winter
Alaska in Summer
http://www.doszorros.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)