Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Induction Cooktops
02-14-2013, 13:16 (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 14:48 by cvaughn.)
Induction Cooktops
We are currently using a one burner induction cooktop. It is a 120vac plug in type. The results are a much faster cook time than our older electric cooktop OEM. The built in two burner cooktops that I have found are 240vac. If you place a double pole 240vac breaker over the leg one/leg two configuration that seems to consistent in the breaker panel will 240vac be available for the 240vac cooktop?

Charlie Vaughn
1999 LXi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2013, 13:31 (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 15:26 by davidbrady.)
RE: Induction Cooktops
Hey Charlie, Thank you for joining. Great to see you! Smile

We just moved into a new home that has a five burner induction cooktop. I know it's old technology but I never used one before. Coming from a gas range, I'm surprised at how much I like it. Nothing boils a pot of water faster. I never considered a portable one for coach use, but with five of us, I know we're going to be cooking more and going out less. Great idea. Thanks,

david brady, '02 LXi, NC
02-14-2013, 15:25
Charlie,

That would give you the 240V needed, but ONLY when plugged into 50A. You'll have to remember that if you're on 30A, you will have to fire up the genny to run the cooktop.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-14-2013, 15:48
Rich,

If I can remember and if I can find them, I chatted with Allen Barbee about doing just that in my bird before the factory closed. He spoke of a specific brand that they used. I'll see if I've still got that info and send it your way.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-14-2013, 17:16
(02-14-2013 16:21)Bird Owner Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 15:48)Arcticdude Wrote:  Rich,

If I can remember and if I can find them, I chatted with Allen Barbee about doing just that in my bird before the factory closed. He spoke of a specific brand that they used. I'll see if I've still got that info and send it your way.

Thanks Big Bird!!!!

I found a GE and a Wolf with a big price variance. I would like to here about what they may have used.

Thanks
Charlie
02-14-2013, 17:40
(02-14-2013 13:16)cvaughn Wrote:  We are currently using a one burner induction cooktop. It is a 120vac plug in type. The results are a much faster cook time than our older electric cooktop OEM. The built in two burner cooktops that I have found are 240vac. If you place a double pole 240vac breaker over the leg one/leg two configuration that seems to consistent in the breaker panel will 240vac be available for the 240vac cooktop?

Yes on your generator for sure.
On shore power most of the time yes.
Some campgrounds cheat by wiring same leg to both terminals
If they are cheating you will not get 240

Ed & Joann Wimberley
82 PT 35 6V92
02-15-2013, 00:07
The factory used a Princess cooktop by Seaward, I think. When I was chatting with Allen about it, he indicated Princess was the model and I'm sure Google told me the only 2 burner induction was by Seaward. When I mentioned it to him, he didn't directly answer that. But Seaward did have a 2 burner 220v induction top for rv's in 2009.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
02-15-2013, 12:19
(02-15-2013 00:07)Arcticdude Wrote:  The factory used a Princess cooktop by Seaward, I think. When I was chatting with Allen about it, he indicated Princess was the model and I'm sure Google told me the only 2 burner induction was by Seaward. When I mentioned it to him, he didn't directly answer that. But Seaward did have a 2 burner 220v induction top for rv's in 2009.

Thanks for the lead. I will do some more research.
Charlie
02-15-2013, 13:23
(02-15-2013 12:19)cvaughn Wrote:  
(02-15-2013 00:07)Arcticdude Wrote:  The factory used a Princess cooktop by Seaward, I think. When I was chatting with Allen about it, he indicated Princess was the model and I'm sure Google told me the only 2 burner induction was by Seaward. When I mentioned it to him, he didn't directly answer that. But Seaward did have a 2 burner 220v induction top for rv's in 2009.

Thanks for the lead. I will do some more research.
Charlie

This seems like a good idea. I am interested as well.

I've looked at induction cooktops before out of curiosity, but have never owned one. My wife LOVES our GE Monogram gas cooktop at home, so I doubt I'll convert the home. But the coach on the other hand... I have no qualms with eliminating another propane appliance.

1991 SP-36
"Silver Lining"
Linden, MI
02-15-2013, 16:35
The quotes I was getting weren't cheap either, it was like $2500 back then. I'll have to take another look at the emails, as I remember talking about an induction unit, but that may not have been what we ended up quoting.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)