Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M380 Slide Seal Development
02-15-2013, 11:08 (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 22:56 by davidbrady.)
M380 Slide Seal Development
Hello all,

A while back Doc&Linda shipped to me a sample of an M380 slide seal with it's retainer. (Actually, I have almost the entire seal, it's missing just a few feet). Well, since then I dropped the ball. Suzana and I packed up the old house, bought a new house, and moved all of our belongings. We're pretty well settled in now so I'd like to get this started again. I've already snipped off a section and sent it to Roger Anderson at DRI. We know that there is a setup fee for extrusions. In this case there will be two extrusions. I'll speak with Roger early next week to get the current rates. The original seal uses a molded corner for the retainer. I know that we can't do that due to cost. If we don't do a molded corner then the retainer wiper will almost certainly kink in the corners. I suspect that this won't be an issue. A simple solution to the kinking is to take a scissors and make a series of cuts into the wiper at the corners. That may be all that's required. I'll discuss it with Roger. In any case I'd like to gauge interest. Can we have a show of hands as to who may be interested in contributing to offset the setup fees?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
İmage İmage İmage İmage

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2013, 13:52 (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 13:57 by cmillsap.)
RE: M380 Slide Seal Development
(02-15-2013 11:08)davidmbrady Wrote:  Hello all,

A while back Doc&Linda shipped to me a sample of an M380 slide seal with it's retainer. (Actually, I have almost the entire seal, it's just missing a few feet). Well, since then I dropped the ball. Suzana and I packed up the old house, bought a new house, and moved all of our belongings. We're pretty well settled in now so I'd like to get this started again. I've already snipped off a section and sent it to Roger Anderson at DRI. We know that there is a setup fee for extrusions. In this case there will be two extrusions. I'll speak with Roger early next week to get the current rates. The original seal uses a molded corner for the retainer. I know that we can't do that due to cost. If we don't do a molded corner then the wiper will almost definitely kink in the corners. I suspect that this won't be an issue. A simple solution to the kinking is to take a scissors and make a series of cuts into the wiper at the corners. That may be all that's required. I'll discuss it with Roger. In any case I'd like to gauge interest. Can we have a show of hands as to who may be interested in contributing to offset the setup fees?

David,

I'm all for doing this. We do need a few more M380 owners to join the forum and participate to keep the individual costdown. Every time I'm in the garage and hear the 12v Air Com running, I hope it not the seal leaking.

Chuck '04 M380

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
02-15-2013, 14:04 (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 14:05 by Arcticdude.)
(02-15-2013 13:52)cmillsap Wrote:  

A while back Doc&Linda shipped to me a sample of an M380 slide seal with it's retainer. (Actually, I have almost the entire seal, it's just missing a few feet). Well, since then I dropped the ball. Suzana and I packed up the old house, bought a new house, and moved all of our belongings. We're pretty well settled in now so I'd like to get this started again. I've already snipped off a section and sent it to Roger Anderson at DRI. We know that there is a setup fee for extrusions. In this case there will be two extrusions. I'll speak with Roger early next week to get the current rates. The original seal uses a molded corner for the retainer. I know that we can't do that due to cost. If we don't do a molded corner then the wiper will almost definitely kink in the corners. I suspect that this won't be an issue. A simple solution to the kinking is to take a scissors and make a series of cuts into the wiper at the corners. That may be all that's required. I'll discuss it with Roger. In any case I'd like to gauge interest. Can we have a show of hands as to who may be interested in contributing to offset the setup fees?

David,

I'm all for doing this. We do need a few more M380 owners to join the forum and participate to keep the individual costdown. Every time I'm in the garage and hear the 12v Air Com running, I hope it not the seal leaking.

Chuck '04 M380

Chuck,

If that's a Thomas pump in there, I'd recommend turning it off when you are garaged. The brushes get too hot with repeated usage and you'll end up having to replace those. Not a tough job, but it will always fail at the most inopportune moment. I simply replaced my compressor pressure switch with one that has a on/off switch. I turn it off whenever I don't need it.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
02-15-2013, 14:37 (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 14:39 by Robert Britton.)
David, thanks for looking into this. I've been told (but have not verified myself) that OEM seals with the molded corners for the M380 are still available?? Mine is going on nine years old with no leaks so seems the original design is a good one. Has anyone looked into buying OEM replacements...pros--cons?

Robert Britton
2004 M380
Hollister, Ca
02-15-2013, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 14:44 by davidbrady.)
(02-15-2013 14:37)Robert Britton Wrote:  David, thanks for looking into this. I've been told (but have not verified myself) that OEM seals with the molded corners for the M380 are still available?? Mine is going on nine years old with no leaks so seems the original design is a good one. Has anyone looked into buying OEM replacements...pros--cons?

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know who the OEM is. Nonetheless, it is a good seal that people have few problems with. Once Roger looks at it I'll get his opinion as to whatever upgrades might be warranted. I know that if we do it thru DRI and if we do it without molded retainer corners, the price will be very attractive. Once again, DRI will make money at a reasonable profit margin and I have no financial interest. Now we need some M380 owners to volunteer! Smile BTW, the seal profile as shown in the third photo above is a standard profile in most air seal vendor's portfolios including DRI's and Seal Masters; however, the actual dimensions are slightly different from what DRI has stocked on its shelves, so a new extrusion will be required.

david brady,

02-15-2013, 15:31
(02-15-2013 14:04)Arcticdude Wrote:  
(02-15-2013 13:52)cmillsap Wrote:  

David,

Chuck '04 M380

Chuck,

If that's a Thomas pump in there, I'd recommend turning it off when you are garaged. The brushes get too hot with repeated usage and you'll end up having to replace those. Not a tough job, but it will always fail at the most inopportune moment. I simply replaced my compressor pressure switch with one that has a on/off switch. I turn it off whenever I don't need it.

I do just unplug the 12V at its pigtail when the bus is going to be parked for any length of time. I had also thought of installing a switch as I did on my previous LXi but it's 'bout as easy just to disconnect the lead.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
02-15-2013, 16:39
That's good! I had to replace the brushes in mine when I originally got it, as it had been left to run whenever the air leaked down and burned them up. You can get them from Grainger. It's the whole mounting plate, brushes, holders and all, so it goes in pretty easy. It was ~$85 several years ago. I've got to replace the tank in mine as the first step to fixing the air leak, then work on anything else that's leaking.

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
03-07-2013, 14:10 (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 14:16 by davidbrady.)
While speaking with Roger today I had a chance to ask about the M380 seal development. There would be two setup fees, one for the retainer extrusion and one for the seal extrusion. These fees are $1300 each, or $2600 total. If we made it with no molded corners, Roger estimates we would be at around $400.00 retail for the air seal bladder and about $400 retail for the retainer. The OEM only used molded corners for the retainer - no molded corners for the air seal bladder. If we don't use molded corners for the retainer there will be some wiggling of the inner and outer wipers at the corners.

david brady,

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)