Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulating the engine bay
02-11-2013, 17:57 (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 17:57 by davidbrady.)
RE: Insulating the engine bay
(02-11-2013 16:09)Arcticdude Wrote:  My 96 has some minor issues with the engine bay insulation. I've found some stuff that looks really good and has a 300 degree rating. I had originally thought about running this up the exhaust column. I'd also planned on eliminating the muffler and jet coating the pipe(s). Any ideas on whether I should look for something with better heat abilities or other ??

John,

Do those ceramic coatings significantly lower the surface temps of the pipe? I'd be worried that 300 deg F isn't enough. I can see pipe temps easily hitting 1000 deg F. I'd be concerned that the insulation may work it's way lose from the chute walls and fall onto the pipe possibly causing a fire hazard. My '02 LXi was shipped from the factory with a muffler blanket that went completely around the muffler and along the full height of the muffler. It was a stout blanket with a thick skin and a fiber fill in the middle - definitely rated for the heat.

david brady, '02 LXi, NC
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Insulating the engine bay - davidbrady - 02-11-2013 17:57

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)