Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entry Step problem
04-28-2008, 12:05
Entry Step problem
I suspect this is the case. My step neither fully extends nor fully retracts (intermittently) in cold/snow weather. Above freezing, it tends to work. Unfortunately, the in between state makes the step somewhat treacherous when you step on it as it will swing underfoot unless you step very directly with no lateral force.
Unfortunately, the pattern is not consistent enough to create a reasonable theory of the flaw.
As for Brad's step, because it extends, retracts, and extends again, I wonder if there's an electrical connection in the control circuit that's at fault?
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Apr 28, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Leroy Eckert wrote:

I have a theory about cold weather step ops. Maybe good, maybe bad. The air control valve has two adjustable exhaust ports that are exposed to dirt, snow and rain and if moisture is present in winter it will freeze the exhaust ports and not allow air to escape, hence the step will not operate. As well, if any moisture is present in the actuator it will not work correctly. Just my theory, because if it works in summer what else could it be. Bluebird disease!

Leroy Eckert
1990 WB-40 Smoke N Mirrors
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

"erniecarpet@aol.com" wrote:
My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40 mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR...o8Wcj9tAcJ ]Try it now.[/url] 
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2008, 12:35
Entry Step problem
Pete, have a close look at your lock out mechanism. Mechanically, the way mine is designed the fork on the end of the actuator is attached to the step extension arm and when it is extended the mechanism at the point of attachment goes over center. (ie. like bending your elbow backwards if you were double jointed.) This can be adjusted by screwing the fork in and out and locking the fork in position in via lock nut, at least on my bus.
If air pressure is low and the step rotation points are not properly constantly lubricated, the step will not lock out.
Typically, I use the extend switch when I enter a park and leave the step out. When I leave, I put it back in. Mine works when the door opens and closes but if the air is low, the lock out mechanism allows the step to float allowing one to bust their #@!.
Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

Pete Masterson wrote:
I suspect this is the case. My step neither fully extends nor fully retracts (intermittently) in cold/snow weather. Above freezing, it tends to work. Unfortunately, the in between state makes the step somewhat treacherous when you step on it as it will swing underfoot unless you step very directly with no lateral force.
Unfortunately, the pattern is not consistent enough to create a reasonable theory of the flaw.
As for Brad's step, because it extends, retracts, and extends again, I wonder if there's an electrical connection in the
control circuit that's at fault?
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

I have a theory about cold weather step ops. Maybe good, maybe bad. The air control
valve has two adjustable exhaust ports that are exposed to dirt, snow and rain and if moisture is present in winter it will freeze the exhaust ports and not allow air to escape, hence the step will not operate. As well, if any moisture is present in the actuator it will not work correctly. Just my theory, because if it works in summer what else could it be. Bluebird disease!

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

"erniecarpet@aol.com"wrote:
My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40
mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings atAOL Autos.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.Try
it now.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR...o8Wcj9tAcJ ] Try it now.[/url]
04-28-2008, 13:38
Entry Step problem
Time for another 'rest' under the bus... 
The extend switch normally causes the step to remain out (and locked) so long as the ignition switch is off. If there's not enough air, then it stays extended. I understand the overcenter status -- I've pulled the stair out by hand a couple of times, locking it in the extended position.
I'll examine to see if there's something out of adjustment and ensure that everything is well lubricated.
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Leroy Eckert wrote:

Pete, have a close look at your lock out mechanism. Mechanically, the way mine is designed the fork on the end of the actuator is attached to the step extension arm and when it is extended the mechanism at the point of attachment goes over center. (ie. like bending your elbow backwards if you were double jointed.) This can be adjusted by screwing the fork in and out and locking the fork in position in via lock nut, at least on my bus.
If air pressure is low and the step rotation points are not properly constantly lubricated, the step will not lock out. 
Typically, I use the extend switch when I enter a park and leave the step out. When I leave, I put it back in. Mine works when the door opens and closes but if the air is low, the lock out mechanism allows the step to float allowing one to bust their #@!.
Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

Pete Masterson <"aeonix1@mac.com"> wrote:
As for Brad's step, because it extends, retracts, and extends again, I wonder if there's an electrical connection in the control circuit that's at fault?
Pete Masterson
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

I have a theory about cold weather step ops. Maybe good, maybe bad. The air control valve has two adjustable exhaust ports that are exposed to dirt, snow and rain and if moisture is present in winter it will freeze the exhaust ports and not allow air to escape, hence the step will not operate. As well, if any moisture is present in the actuator it will not work correctly. Just my theory, because if it works in summer what else could it be. Bluebird disease!

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

"erniecarpet@aol.com" wrote:
My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40 mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. 

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR...o8Wcj9tAcJ ]Try it now.[/url] 
04-28-2008, 13:53
Entry Step problem
Pete,

I've had the same situation with my step. Nearly lost my buddies wife
one cold night. It only happens when it's below 40 degrees or so.
I've also had the thump noise from brakeing but it seems to have
cleared up after it got lubed on the last chassie servicing. Perhaps
the fix for the other coaches may be a little greese.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT-42 WLWB
Fayetteville Tn.

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Pete Masterson
wrote:
>
> I've had my step misbehave in cold weather (below freezing), but
then
> work normally when we're in warmer areas. I've had other bouts of
> weirdness where the step doesn't quite lock in place. (I've
learned
> to take a close look at the step before stepping on it!)
>
> The steps are prone to air leaks. I also wonder if their location
> tends to pick up dirt from the road that may be partly responsible
> for some weirdness -- that later clears. I get intermittent poor
> performance, but then it self-corrects. I haven't found anything
that
> specifically seems to be the cause of the problems.
>
> Be _very_ careful when working on the step as it could catch you
if
> it cycles unexpectedly and cause a serious injury.
>
> Pete Masterson
> '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
> El Sobrante CA
> aeonix1@...
>
>
>
> On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:38 AM, brad barton wrote:
>
> > To Ralph or anyone w/ experience on this:
> >
> > Ryan can't make my entry step misbehave. It comes out (psst)
> > stutters (clunka clunka) goes back in (psst) then comes back out
> > (psst) and finally locks (clunka-clunk). First noticed it in
cold
> > weather, but problem persisted two months later on our trip
through
> > AZ, CA and NV. Step is well lubed and frequently. Now it won't
do
> > it..and he can't find anything wrong with the valves or the
> > switches. Any other causes? I'd like to get this fixed before
Wed
> > if possible. Thanks.
> >
> >
> > Brad Barton 00LXiDFW bbartonwx@...
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)