Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entry Step problem
04-28-2008, 06:40
Entry Step problem
Is this happening when you open the door or when you throw the extend switch?"
Mine acted weird a couple of years ago. After chasing around mercury and door switches, I finally found a wire in the upholstery door strap that was partially broken. I corrected that and it has worked ok since. My access was gained by carefully taking the seam out of the upholstery strap and then hand sewing it back up. I don't have any idea if yours is wired the same way.

Leroy Eckert
1990 WB-40 Smoke N Mirrors
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

Pete Masterson wrote:
I've had my step misbehave in cold weather (below freezing), but then work normally when we're in warmer areas. I've had other bouts of weirdness where the step doesn't quite lock in place. (I've learned to take a close look at the step before stepping on it!)
The steps are prone to air leaks. I also wonder if their location tends to pick up dirt from the road that may be partly responsible for some weirdness -- that later clears. I get intermittent poor performance, but then it self-corrects. I haven't found anything that specifically seems to be the cause of the problems.
Be _very_ careful when working on the step as it could catch you if it cycles unexpectedly and cause a serious injury.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:38 AM, brad barton wrote:

To Ralph or anyone w/ experience on this:

Ryan can't make my entry step misbehave. It comes out (psst) stutters (clunka clunka) goes back in (psst) then comes back out (psst) and finally locks (clunka-clunk). First noticed it in cold weather,
but problem persisted two months later on our trip through AZ, CA and NV. Step is well lubed and frequently. Now it won't do it..and he can't find anything wrong with the valves or the switches. Any other causes? I'd like to get this fixed before Wed if possible. Thanks.

BradBarton00LXiDFW "bbartonwx@hotmail.com"

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR...o8Wcj9tAcJ ] Try it now.[/url]
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2008, 07:00
Entry Step problem

Leroy, you may have hit the nail squarely. Thanks
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.
04-28-2008, 07:02
Entry Step problem

I know that Joe Losh' coach had his changed to an electric step. His coach is just 2 numbers away from mine on the build list.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.
04-28-2008, 07:55
Entry Step problem
Brad, one other thing I remember when messing with my step was the speed adjustment screws on the bottom of the valve. I tried to decrease the speed by screwing them down and found the step did not lock in properly. When I cleaned them and opened them up it locked perfectly.

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA

brad barton <bbartonwx@...> wrote:
To Ralph or anyone w/ experience on this:

Ryan can't make my entry step misbehave. It comes out (psst) stutters (clunka clunka) goes back in (psst)
then comes back out (psst) and finally locks (clunka-clunk). First noticed it in cold weather, but problem persisted two months later on our trip through AZ, CA and NV. Step is well lubed and frequently. Now it won't do it..and he can't find anything wrong with the valves or the switches. Any other causes? I'd like to get this fixed before Wed if possible. Thanks.

BradBarton00LXiDFW bbartonwx@hotmail.com

In a rush? Get real-time answers with Windows Live Messenger.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR...o8Wcj9tAcJ ] Try it now.[/url]
04-28-2008, 08:31
Entry Step problem
Brad:

One or two ideas; 1. The in door, door step switch located behind the
naughide covering of the door hinge. There are three switches, the center
one is for the step. To go with that is the wiring in the strap restraint
where the door wires pass as well. 2. The ribbon switch being flaky and
that should be located under the edge of where the step retracts. Cut one
wire to remove this ribbon switch from the circuit.

There is a relay that controls the direction of the step and is activated
or turned off by the 2 step switches for in/out.

That is about all that I can think of off hand. Oh, a flaky lock out switch
can cause this too, but that also goes with the in door switch circuit.

Safe travels,

Ralph and Charolette Fullenwider
84FC35 "Ruff Diamond"
Duncan, Oklahoma

At 12:38 PM 4/28/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>To Ralph or anyone w/ experience on this:
>
>Ryan can't make my entry step misbehave. It comes out (psst) stutters
>(clunka clunka) goes back in (psst) then comes back out (psst) and finally
>locks (clunka-clunk). First noticed it in cold weather, but problem
>persisted two months later on our trip through AZ, CA and NV. Step is
>well lubed and frequently. Now it won't do it..and he can't find anything
>wrong with the valves or the switches. Any other causes? I'd like to get
>this fixed before Wed if possible. Thanks.
>
>
>Brad Barton 00LXiDFW bbartonwx@...
>
>
>
04-28-2008, 10:10
Entry Step problem
Ernie,

Mine comes out, goes back in and comes out again..pretty dangerous if you're stepping down. That's what I'd like to fix.

Brad Barton 00LXiDFW
bbartonwx@...

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:55:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Entry step problem

My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40 mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Make i'm yours. Create a custom banner to support your cause.
04-28-2008, 10:16
Entry Step problem
Thanks to all for the ideas. I've passed them along.

Brad Barton 00LXiDFW
bbartonwx@...

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:14:16 -0400

Ok, Brad, now I see your problem. Hope it is an easy fix.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

In a rush? Get real-time answers with Windows Live Messenger.
04-28-2008, 10:18
Entry Step problem
I have a theory about cold weather step ops. Maybe good, maybe bad. The air control valve has two adjustable exhaust ports that are exposed to dirt, snow and rain and if moisture is present in winter it will freeze the exhaust ports and not allow air to escape, hence the step will not operate. As well, if any moisture is present in the actuator it will not work correctly. Just my theory, because if it works in summer what else could it be. Bluebird disease!

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

erniecarpet@... wrote:
My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40 mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

04-28-2008, 10:22
Entry Step problem
I've had only three coaches, an 84 FC with an air-step, an 86 Newell with an elec-step and this LXi..and all three had step issues. I think Prevost is onto something.

Brad Barton 00LXiDFW
bbartonwx@...

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:18:27 -0700

I have a theory about cold weather step ops. Maybe good, maybe bad. The air control valve has two adjustable exhaust ports that are exposed to dirt, snow and rain and if moisture is present in winter it will freeze the exhaust ports and not allow air to escape, hence the step will not operate. As well, if any moisture is present in the actuator it will not work correctly. Just my theory, because if it works in summer what else could it be. Bluebird disease!

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

erniecarpet@aol.com wrote:

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Express yourself wherever you are. Mobilize!
04-28-2008, 10:34
Entry Step problem
So what does Prevost do? Their coach is so low to the ground maybe not needed? lol

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA

brad barton <bbartonwx@...> wrote:
I've had only three coaches, an 84 FC with an air-step, an 86 Newell with an elec-step and this LXi..and all three had step issues. I think Prevost is onto something.

Brad Barton 00LXiDFW
bbartonwx@hotmail.com

Date: Mon, 28
Apr 2008 15:18:27 -0700

Leroy Eckert
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

erniecarpet@aol.com wrote:
My step will retract in cold weather- but the air leaking from somewhere depletes my air
tanks. So I just drive with it out. Who wants to climb around under there when it's freezing and the wind blowing at 40 mph? Not me. Warm weather, everything works fine. Weird.
Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Livingston, Montana

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Express yourself wherever you are. Mobilize!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)