Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
03-10-2009, 13:40
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
What kind of luck have people here had with those puff balls that have an
attachment to attach to a high speed drill for polishing there rims. They kind
of look fragile and was wondering how long they will last. My rims are in
decent shape but need to be polished up.
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2009, 14:06
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
I can tell you that I polish my rims three times a year but could do it only two. I use a solution (cant remember the name) that I purchased from Holland Motor Coach and I use a ("Mother's" product)ball that you can get from most auto stores or discounts. This combination has the best results for me and I have used Alcoa brA\and and many others and this is the best. The solution is in a 24 +- oz. bottle and is very thin. squirt some on the ball and i have the job down to 15 minutes a wheel. I have two of these "Mother's" products 1 large 1 small one put them in my Makita and with a cocktail for each 15 minutes it works out well..Good Luck!
PS Mother's polishing ball is not cheap but it works
Scooter's2000LX Ocqueoc, MI

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 00:40:20 +0000
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS

What kind of luck have people here had with those puff balls that have an attachment to attach to a high speed drill for polishing there rims. They kind of look fragile and was wondering how long they will last. My rims are in decent shape but need to be polished up.

03-10-2009, 14:12
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
I bought a large (5" diameter) and small (2-1/2 or 3") Mother's balls. The large one works pretty well on the main part of the recessed rims (rear) and the smaller one works around the lug nuts and on the front rims. It takes a little practice to get good at steering the small one. It's a two-handed job. Don't apply a lot of pressure -- it's more a matter of letting the ball do the work. Just get good contact and let it spin. Pull off the lug nut covers to avoid having a 'ring' of polishing compound left around the nuts. (The nut covers on my coach seem to be stainless steel -- but some were plastic.)
I used Mother's Aluminum polish. I found the paste-type better. The liquid type splattered all over. Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and plan a shower after you finish. Once you run the polishing ball around, it leaves a film that turns kind of dark. I used a micro-fiber cloth to buff the wheel and remove the residue, and it polished up very well.
Then it rained while I was on the road, and the wheels are all dirty again. The second time, they cleaned up faster. I need to clean 'em again, now that we're home, since it rained during the trip home, getting everything kind of grungy.
The balls held up pretty well -- lost a small chunk or two of the sponge stuff when I got too close to the lug nuts or the valve stem -- but mostly it holds together OK. I figure they're good for perhaps a half-dozen complete (6 wheel) cleanings judging from the amount of degradation. (I've done them twice.)
The polish doesn't take out any deep scratches or gouges -- that would take more serious polishing/grinding tools.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42 (For Sale)
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Jon wrote:

What kind of luck have people here had with those puff balls that have an attachment to attach to a high speed drill for polishing there rims. They kind of look fragile and was wondering how long they will last. My rims are in decent shape but need to be polished up.
03-10-2009, 14:17
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
I use SimiChrome on my wheels twice per year. I have used it for years. I do it by hand with a white cloth and takes about 3 hours. I also use it on the chrome, stainless and annodized aluminum. The stuff is not cheap but it works.
Leroy Eckert
1990 WB-40 Smoke N Mirrors
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

--- On Tue, 3/10/09, Jon wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2009, 8:40 PM

03-10-2009, 17:21
POLISHING ALUMIUM RIMS
I use the same method as Pete. My wheels had not been cleaned in a while, and
with a little work and dirt and "Mothers" much better now.

Brad, with a 1997, 37' BMC

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)