Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas RV Drivers License
03-30-2009, 11:28
Texas RV Drivers License
In the April issue of FMCA magazine at page 70 there is a brief article that purports to set forth that motorhomes weighing in excess of 26,000 requires that the operator have a Texas Class B noncommercial license. It requires a written and driving test and cost $10. Normally, one might entertain the idea of simply taking ones chances; however I am concerned about the legal ramifications on ones libality insurance coverage. I can imagine that an insurance carried would take the position that the vehicle was being operated without a proper license and that such is a violation of the policy terms and would void the policy. I am unaware of the case law (if any) in Texas on this issue but would not care to test the law with the insurance carrier in case of
an accident. A spokesperson for the Texas DPS

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2009, 11:32
Texas RV Drivers License

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Wallace Craig wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Texas RV Drivers License
To: wanderlodgeforum@yahoogroups.com, "wanderlodge forum" , "ron marabito" , "Ernie Eckbert" , "Ralph Fullenwider"
Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 6:28 PM

In the April issue of FMCA magazine at page 70 there is a brief article that purports to set forth that motorhomes weighing in excess of 26,000 requires that the operator have a Texas Class B noncommercial license. It requires a written and driving test and cost $10. Normally, one might entertain the idea of simply taking ones chances; however I am concerned about the legal ramifications on ones libality insurance coverage. I can imagine that an insurance carried would take the position that the vehicle was being operated without a proper license and that such is a violation of the policy terms and would void the policy. I am unaware of the case law (if any) in Texas on this issue but would not care to test the law with the insurance carrier in case of an accident. A spokesperson for the Texas DPSstatesthat the test must be in the class vehicle they would like to drive. Ernie, this may mean that several of us need to get together an go at once in a texas lic coach.
Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

03-30-2009, 11:53
Texas RV Drivers License
It is certainly not new in Texas, and other states have similar laws. Each apply
only to those licensed in that state.

If you were California-licensed you would be in a similar boat, but not because
of weight - your length over-40 would trigger a license requirement. With my
47,600 GVWR but only 40 feet I don't need such a license as a California
resident.

Don Bradner
90 PT40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1

On 3/30/2009 at 4:32 PM Wallace Craig wrote:

>In the April issue of FMCA magazine at page 70 there is a brief article
>that purports to set forth that motorhomes weighing in excess of 26,000
>requires that the operator have a Texas Class B noncommercial license.  It
>requires a written and driving test and cost $10.  Normally, one might
>entertain the idea of simply taking ones chances; however I am concerned
>about the legal ramifications on ones libality insurance coverage.  I can
>imagine that an insurance carried would take the position that the vehicle
>was being operated without a  proper license and that such is a violation
>of the policy terms and would void the policy.  I am unaware of the case
>law (if any) in Texas on this issue but would not care to test the law
>with the insurance carrier in case of an accident. A spokesperson for the
>Texas DPS   states that the test must be in the class vehicle they would
>like to drive.  Ernie, this may mean that several of us need to get
>together an
> go at once in a texas lic coach. 
> 
> Comments?? 
03-30-2009, 12:18
Texas RV Drivers License
This has been Texas law for some time -- and I've seen it in two or three places online as well as (I think) seeing it mentioned on one or more of the WL lists...
I believe I've cautioned that many states have extra license requirements depending on weight or length. I'm not saying that these rules necessarily make sense but since almost all the WLs of all years exceed 26,000 lbs, it's wise to check with your state's DMV to ensure that you're properly licensed. Fortunately, if you're visiting from out of state, thereciprocityrules require that your driver's license be honored if it is the valid license for your vehicle in your home state.
Those with a class A CDL don't need to worry, but for the rest of us, there may be some requirement.
For example, in California, the weight isn't an issue. A driver with a standard "class 3" driver's license can drive any RV up to 40 feet in length and tow (one) vehicle behind, so long as the maximum 65' length isn't exceeded. (Some roads might have other restrictions.) Note that you would still need a Texas license with the correct 'level' or endorsement (for over 26,000 lbs) to be legal in CA, even if CA did not require any special licensing -- but it is also unlikely that a CA patrolman would catch the discrepancy unless you were in an over 40' unit.
However, my WL is 42'6" in length (bumper to bumper). Any "house car" over 40' but no more than 45' requires a "non commercial class B license." Apparently, these are not often issued. It took the clerk and supervisor in my nearest DMV office some time to find all the rules and entry system to enter my application into the computer system (apparently, it goes into the system with the same entry screens as a "fire truck driver's license"). I was finally able to take my written test (which I passed). I then had to schedule a driving test with one of a hand-full off DMV offices authorized to administer the test. Arriving for my scheduled appointment, the examiner said he would meet me at my vehicle "in a few minutes." When he finally appeared, he apologized and explained that he had to look up the rules to see specifically what he was supposed to test for. We then proceeded with the test, which included "demonstrate skill in handling the vehicle on hills" -- unfortunately all the DMV offices close to my home that are authorized to give this test are in very flat areas. The one I was at (near the OaklandColiseum) required driving across the city of Oakland to get to some hills. So, I ended up driving the coach through crowded, city streets. At least, I didn't have to cross the central business district. <sigh> Ultimately, the test took about 2+ hours and I'd passed.
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Mar 30, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Wallace Craig wrote:

In the April issue of FMCA magazine at page 70 there is a brief article that purports to set forth that motorhomes weighing in excess of 26,000 requires that the operator have a Texas Class B noncommercial license. It requires a written and driving test and cost $10. Normally, one might entertain the idea of simply taking ones chances; however I am concerned about the legal ramifications on ones libality insurance coverage. I can imagine that an insurance carried would take the position that the vehicle was being operated without a proper license and that such is a violation of the policy terms and would void the policy. I am unaware of the case law (if any) in Texas on this issue but would not care to test the law with the insurance carrier in case of an accident. A spokesperson for the Texas DPS

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas
03-30-2009, 12:20
Texas RV Drivers License
Not necessarily. I did my CA driver's test in a coach licensed in Montana... The examiner checked the registration to see if it was current (it was) and made no comment about it. Of course, the examiners in Texas might have other ideas....
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Mar 30, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Wallace Craig wrote:

<snip>
statesthat the test must be in the class vehicle they would like to drive. Ernie, this may mean that several of us need to get together an go at once in a texas lic coach.
Comments??
03-30-2009, 12:36
Texas RV Drivers License

Wallace,
I checked this out about three or four years ago and at the time I was given a lot of advise on this forum that I had not read the law correctly. I also had people tell me that I should just take a chance and not bother to get a correct license. I did not follow all that free advise and went ahead took the test and got my no restriction class B license My present license is good until 2013 and if I am still driving a coach I will get it renewed.
Chet Geist
1981/FC33/ Austin, Texas
-----Original Message-----
From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Wallace Craig
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 6:33 PM
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Texas RV Drivers License

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Wallace Craig yahoo.com> wrote:

To: wanderlodgeforum@yahoogroups.com, "wanderlodge forum" yahoo.com>, "ron marabito" net>, "Ernie Eckbert" com>, "Ralph Fullenwider" net>

In the April issue of FMCA magazine at page 70 there is a brief article that purports to set forth that motorhomes weighing in excess of 26,000 requires that the operator have a Texas Class B noncommercial license. It requires a written and driving test and cost $10. Normally, one might entertain the idea of simply taking ones chances; however I am concerned about the legal ramifications on ones libality insurance coverage. I can imagine that an insurance carried would take the position that the vehicle was being operated without a proper license and that such is a violation of the policy terms and would void the policy. I am unaware of the case law (if any) in Texas on this issue but would not care to test the law with the insurance carrier in case of an accident. A spokesperson for the Texas DPSstatesthat the test must be in the class vehicle they would like to drive. Ernie, this may mean that several of us need to get together an go at once in a texas lic coach.
Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

03-30-2009, 12:46
Texas RV Drivers License

Curious what the Texas test consisted of. I had a CDL until I retired from the railroad but never thought about needing something special for the Wanderlodge.
- Chuck Wheeler-
1982 FC 31SB Fort Worth TX

From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chet Geist
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:36 PM
Subject: RE: [WanderlodgeForum] Texas RV Drivers License

Wallace,
I checked this out about three or four years ago and at the time I was given a lot of advise on this forum that I had not read the law correctly. I also had people tell me that I should just take a chance and not bother to get a correct license. I did not follow all that free advise and went ahead took the test and got my no restriction class B license My present license is good until 2013 and if I am still driving a coach I will get it renewed.
Chet Geist
1981/FC33/ Austin, Texas
From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Wallace Craig

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

To: wanderlodgeforum@yahoogroups.com, "wanderlodge forum" yahoo.com>, "ron marabito" net>, "Ernie Eckbert" com>, "Ralph Fullenwider" net>

Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

03-30-2009, 12:47
Texas RV Drivers License
Wise decision.

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Chet Geist wrote:

Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 7:36 PM

Wallace,
Chet Geist
1981/FC33/ Austin, Texas

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

To: wanderlodgeforum@ yahoogroups. com, "wanderlodge forum" , "ron marabito" , "Ernie Eckbert" , "Ralph Fullenwider"

Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

03-30-2009, 12:59
Texas RV Drivers License
If one believes the FMCA article there is both a written and driving test.

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Chuck Wheeler wrote:

Date: Monday, March 30, 2009, 7:46 PM

Curious what the Texas test consisted of. I had a CDL until I retired from the railroad but never thought about needing something special for the Wanderlodge.
- Chuck Wheeler-

From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chet Geist

Wallace,
Chet Geist
1981/FC33/ Austin, Texas
From: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:Wanderlodge Forum@yahoogroup s.com]On Behalf Of Wallace Craig
To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

To: wanderlodgeforum@ yahoogroups. com, "wanderlodge forum" , "ron marabito" , "Ernie Eckbert" , "Ralph Fullenwider"

Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

03-30-2009, 13:23
Texas RV Drivers License

Chuck,
When I took the test it was thirteen questions on a computer. Matter covered is on a small number of chapters in the CDL book and they tell you what chapters to study. Mostly lengths, lights, weights and things like that. Then I took about a two mile road test with a DPS officer in the Bluebird. His parting words were "Did you notice I didn't ask you how you got it here without a license". I real nice officer.
Chet Geist
1981 FC33, Austin, Texas
From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Chuck Wheeler
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 7:46 PM

- Chuck Wheeler-

Wallace,
Chet Geist
1981/FC33/ Austin, Texas

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

Comments??

Wallace Craig
95 WLWB 42
Azle, Texas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)