Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.
06-20-2009, 00:50
Yes I believe you are right that it is a restriction problem. That was my determination. Just got to get to a place where I can work on it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, timvasqz wrote:
From: timvasqz Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 11:52 PM

If it is a fuel problem it is not air, sounds like a restriction with supply. the amount of time necessary to restart is recovery of the vacumn created when the pump starved????

Best way to check fuel supply is to replace the filter. I understand there is also a screen at the Kubota lift pump. if it still shuts down I would then try and replace the supply of fuel with that from a temporary source. this will prove issue with the fuel line.

One other test of the lift pump and supply line would be to hotwire the pump with a line between the electric pump and injector pump removed.

Greg ofTim&Greg

94ptca

--- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Thompson wrote:

>

> Hi J C,

>

> Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

>

> The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

>

> I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

>

> The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

>

> It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found none.

>

> So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

>

> Later.

>

> Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

> --- On Fri, 6/19/09, jcmace59 wrote:

>

> From: jcmace59

> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.

> To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 3:43 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Ron,

>

> To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

>

>

>

> As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of headaches!

>

>

>

> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Thompson wrote:

>

> >

>

> > Tommy,

>

> > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.

>

> >

>

> > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.

>

> >

>

> > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces, NM.

>

> >

>

> > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.

>

> >

>

> > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.

>

> >

>

> > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.

>

> >

>

> > But, I shall prevail.

>

> >

>

> > Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

>

> >

>

> > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

> > --- On Thu, 6/18/09, tommy.rountree wrote:

>

> >

>

> > From: tommy.rountree

>

> > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.

>

> > To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

>

> > Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:48 AM

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Ron:

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating, yet exciting world of Blue Birds.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I'll keep looking to see if I can find your LP schematic.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Safe travels!

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Tommy

>

> >

>

Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2009, 18:33
If you run your generator out and then crawl under your coach to the back side of the generator cavity there is an opening from under neath about 1 foot by 1 foot, thru there you can see another squirrel cage blower. This blower helps keep that generator compartment cool when the generator is in and running. You cannot see this blower from the front the generator totaly hides it. If I run out my generator, start the engine then crawl under, I can reach my hand up there to the side of the blower and feel the strong pull of air entering the blower, if you can't feel it, it probably isn't working. Be careful to pay attention were you put your arm and hand and make shure you don't get into the spinning blower

Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 6:48:59 PM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.

Hi J C,

Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found
none.

So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

Later.

1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, jcmace59 wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.
To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 3:43 PM

Ron,
To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of
headaches!

>
> Tommy,
> Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.
>
> One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.
>
> With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces,
NM.
>
> There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.
>
> As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.
>
> This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.
>
> But, I shall prevail.
>
> Ron Thompson -Waller,
Tx.
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@.. .)
>
> --- On Thu, 6/18/09, tommy.rountree wrote:
>
> From: tommy.rountree
> Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:48 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ron:
>
>
>
> I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast
from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.
>
>
>
> Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.
>
>
>
> As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.
>
>
>
> FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.
>
>
>
> That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where
the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.
>
>
>
> I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.
>
>
>
> Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating, yet exciting world of Blue Birds.
>
>
>
> I'll keep looking to see if I can find your LP schematic.
>
>
>
> Safe travels!
>
>
>
> Tommy
>

06-21-2009, 00:44
Ron, I haven't read through all the responses you've received but I did see
where someone mentioned the circuit breaker box on the gen set. I believe you
probably have a Power Tech generator like I have in my 97 43' WL. In looking
through the service work info that came with this coach I noticed that it had
prior problems with the gen set shutting down. The problem was that this box
was getting too hot internally from the gen set engine heat. I believe Power
Tech is aware of this and has a fix which may resolve the problem. You can call
them at 800-760-2777. They also can be contacted by email at
Powertech@... but I have found they respond better to a direct
phone call.

Royal Washburn

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> Yes I believe you are right that it is a restriction problem. That was my
determination. Just got to get to a place where I can work on it.
>
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@...)
>
> --- On Fri, 6/19/09, timvasqz wrote:
>
> From: timvasqz > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 11:52 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If it is a fuel problem it is not air, sounds like a restriction with
supply. the amount of time necessary to restart is recovery of the vacumn
created when the pump starved????
>
>
>
> Best way to check fuel supply is to replace the filter. I understand there is
also a screen at the Kubota lift pump. if it still shuts down I would then try
and replace the supply of fuel with that from a temporary source. this will
prove issue with the fuel line.
>
> One other test of the lift pump and supply line would be to hotwire the pump
with a line between the electric pump and injector pump removed.
>
> Greg ofTim&Greg
>
> 94ptca
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> > Hi J C,
>
> >
>
> > Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it
pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.
>
> >
>
> > The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10
mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are
indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of
fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the
road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from
working on it.
>
> >
>
> > I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all
the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.
>
> >
>
> > The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil
pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.
>
> >
>
> > It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and
found none.
>
> >
>
> > So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old
problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good
30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.
>
> >
>
> > Later.
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
> > 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> >
>
> > (cockyfox@ .)
>
> >
>
> > --- On Fri, 6/19/09, jcmace59 wrote:
>
> >
>
> > From: jcmace59
>
>
>
> > Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 3:43 PM
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Ron,
>
> >
>
> > To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front
driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will
overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver)
telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run
the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button
circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are
located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this
box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run.
Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the
genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the
generator.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the
info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a
TON of headaches!
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Tommy,
>
> >
>
> > > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations
that I have.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been
stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by
the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I
won't mention the name of the place.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone
sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like
this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too
and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my
problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las
Cruces, NM.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not
one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot
are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts
though.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road
my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply
circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of
fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the
running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum
matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and
destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > But, I shall prevail.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > (cockyfox@ .)
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > --- On Thu, 6/18/09, tommy.rountree wrote:
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > From: tommy.rountree
>
> >
>
> > > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.
>
> >
>
> > > To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
>
> >
>
> > > Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:48 AM
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Ron:
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can
relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a
week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I
was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant.
In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about
2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the
coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to
me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through
compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be
behind it.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve
and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is
closed.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them
around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even
placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are
and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be
around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we
should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no
one has a clue as to what it is for.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating, yet exciting world of Blue Birds.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > I'll keep looking to see if I can find your LP schematic.
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Safe travels!
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
> > > Tommy
>
> >
>
> > >
>
> >
>
06-21-2009, 01:08
Wayne,

Man, that is an important revelation. Never knew there was another blower back there. I have not seen any over heating whatsoever on the generator though. Water temp, oil Ok.

I had it in my mind that something had happened with the alternator and a sensor sensed it and shut the generator down. However I have no idea where that sensor if it exists would be.

I still think I have a fuel supply problem. If it sits over night, gravity flow will supply enough fuel to the circuit to equalize the pressure between the generator and the supply. Or it could be that even though the filter is fairly new that it has become invaded by some sludge or something like that and only allows fuel to the engine if it has been sitting for awhile and seepage has filled the filter slowly.

I am not going to work on it till I get
to a place where it won't hurt to have a spill. All of the RV parks I have been staying at so far have this lovely crushed rock everwhere and not a blade of grass. it sure wouldn't look nice to have a diesel spill on all of those lovely crushed rocks.LOL

Thanks for that bit of info about that other squirell cage blower. That is very important to know that.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Wayne Kotila wrote:
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 1:33 AM

If you run your generator out and then crawl under your coach to the back side of the generator cavity there is an opening from under neath about 1 foot by 1 foot, thru there you can see another squirrel cage blower. This blower helps keep that generator compartment cool when the generator is in and running. You cannot see this blower from the front the generator totaly hides it. If I run out my generator, start the engine then crawl under, I can reach my hand up there to the side of the blower and feel the strong pull of air entering the blower, if you can't feel it, it probably isn't working. Be careful to pay attention were you put your arm and hand and make shure you don't get into the spinning blower

Hi J C,

Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found
none.

So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

Later.

1995 WLWB 42'

Ron,
To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of
headaches!

>
> Tommy,
> Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.
>
> One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.
>
> With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces,
NM.
>
> There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.
>
> As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.
>
> This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.
>
> But, I shall prevail.
>
> Ron Thompson -Waller,
Tx.
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@.. .)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ron:
>
>
>
> I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the
beast
from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.
>
>
>
> Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.
>
>
>
> As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.
>
>
>
> FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.
>
>
>
the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.
>
>
>
> I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Safe travels!
>
>
>
> Tommy
>

06-21-2009, 01:15
Royal,

The symptoms you describe are exactly whats happening here. I will send Power Tech an email and see what they have to say about a fix.

Thanks very much for that information. It is very possible that what you say is right.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, bbwlwb88 wrote:
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 7:44 AM

Ron, I haven't read through all the responses you've received but I did see where someone mentioned the circuit breaker box on the gen set. I believe you probably have a Power Tech generator like I have in my 97 43' WL. In looking through the service work info that came with this coach I noticed that it had prior problems with the gen set shutting down. The problem was that this box was getting too hot internally from the gen set engine heat. I believe Power Tech is aware of this and has a fix which may resolve the problem. You can call them at 800-760-2777. They also can be contacted by email at Powertech@powertech -gen.com but I have found they respond better to a direct phone call.

Royal Washburn

>

> Yes I believe you are right that it is a restriction problem. That was my determination. Just got to get to a place where I can work on it.

>

> Thanks for the ideas.

>

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

>

> From: timvasqz

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If it is a fuel problem it is not air, sounds like a restriction with supply. the amount of time necessary to restart is recovery of the vacumn created when the pump starved????

>

>

>

> Best way to check fuel supply is to replace the filter. I understand there is also a screen at the Kubota lift pump. if it still shuts down I would then try and replace the supply of fuel with that from a temporary source. this will prove issue with the fuel line.

>

> One other test of the lift pump and supply line would be to hotwire the pump with a line between the electric pump and injector pump removed.

>

> Greg ofTim&Greg

>

> 94ptca

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> > Hi J C,

>

> >

>

> > Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

>

> >

>

> > The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

>

> >

>

> > I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

>

> >

>

> > The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

>

> >

>

> > It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found none.

>

> >

>

> > So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

>

> >

>

> > Later.

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Ron,

>

> >

>

> > To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of headaches!

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Tommy,

>

> >

>

> > > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces, NM.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: 1995 WLWB 42, LPG GAS Main Shut off Valve.

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Ron:

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Safe travels!

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Tommy

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

06-21-2009, 01:19
Royal,

The symptoms you describe are exactly whats happening here. I will send Power Tech an email and see what they have to say about a fix.

Thanks very much for that information. It is very possible that what you say is right.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, bbwlwb88 wrote:
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 7:44 AM

Ron, I haven't read through all the responses you've received but I did see where someone mentioned the circuit breaker box on the gen set. I believe you probably have a Power Tech generator like I have in my 97 43' WL. In looking through the service work info that came with this coach I noticed that it had prior problems with the gen set shutting down. The problem was that this box was getting too hot internally from the gen set engine heat. I believe Power Tech is aware of this and has a fix which may resolve the problem. You can call them at 800-760-2777. They also can be contacted by email at Powertech@powertech -gen.com but I have found they respond better to a direct phone call.

Royal Washburn

>

> Yes I believe you are right that it is a restriction problem. That was my determination. Just got to get to a place where I can work on it.

>

> Thanks for the ideas.

>

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

>

> From: timvasqz

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If it is a fuel problem it is not air, sounds like a restriction with supply. the amount of time necessary to restart is recovery of the vacumn created when the pump starved????

>

>

>

> Best way to check fuel supply is to replace the filter. I understand there is also a screen at the Kubota lift pump. if it still shuts down I would then try and replace the supply of fuel with that from a temporary source. this will prove issue with the fuel line.

>

> One other test of the lift pump and supply line would be to hotwire the pump with a line between the electric pump and injector pump removed.

>

> Greg ofTim&Greg

>

> 94ptca

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> > Hi J C,

>

> >

>

> > Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

>

> >

>

> > The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

>

> >

>

> > I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

>

> >

>

> > The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

>

> >

>

> > It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found none.

>

> >

>

> > So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

>

> >

>

> > Later.

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Ron,

>

> >

>

> > To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of headaches!

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Tommy,

>

> >

>

> > > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces, NM.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Ron:

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Safe travels!

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Tommy

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

06-21-2009, 04:57
Ron,
How low was the coolant? These are notorious for getting air locked in the
coolant system. Next time you try the genny, when it quits crack open the fuel
line at the injector pump. It should come straight from the fuel filter. You can
open either end, at the pump or the filter housing. See if you have any fuel
there. If you do, it's probably not fuel related and if you don't then your
suspicions are probably correct.

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> Hi J C,
>
> Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls
the air through. I checked it and it was running.
>
> The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10
mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are
indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of
fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the
road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from
working on it.
>
> I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all
the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.
>
> The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure,
etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.
>
> It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and
found none.
>
> So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old
problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good
30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.
>
> Later.
>
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@...)
>
>
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ron,
>
> To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front
driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will
overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver)
telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run
the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button
circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are
located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this
box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run.
Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the
genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the
generator.
>
>
>
> As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the
info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a
TON of headaches!
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> > Tommy,
>
> > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations
that I have.
>
> >
>
> > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been
stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by
the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I
won't mention the name of the place.
>
> >
>
> > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure
went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this
LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and
there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem.
Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces,
NM.
>
> >
>
> > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one
BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are
of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.
>
> >
>
> > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my
generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply
circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of
fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the
running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.
>
> >
>
> > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum
matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and
destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
> > 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> >
>
> > (cockyfox@ .)
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Ron:
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can
relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a
week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I
was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant.
In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about
2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the
coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to
me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through
compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be
behind it.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and
it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is
closed.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them
around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even
placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are
and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be
around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we
should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no
one has a clue as to what it is for.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Safe travels!
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Tommy
>
> >
>
06-21-2009, 05:13
Good suggestion. I am leaving just now for Flagstaff and another RV park. I will try that when I get settled there. its one hot as hell day here in Tempe. I could use a generator working right now. LOL.

Thanks. I will certainly let all of you know what was the remedy when I get done with it. I have a message into Power Tech and they responded right aweay asking for model number, Serial number and make of RV. I sent it in and am waiting for a reply which I won't get now till I get to Flagstaff and settle down to another WIFI. HOpe it works as well as this one in Tempe.

Thanks again to all of you for your good suggtestions.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, jcmace59 wrote:
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 11:57 AM

Ron,

How low was the coolant? These are notorious for getting air locked in the coolant system. Next time you try the genny, when it quits crack open the fuel line at the injector pump. It should come straight from the fuel filter. You can open either end, at the pump or the filter housing. See if you have any fuel there. If you do, it's probably not fuel related and if you don't then your suspicions are probably correct.

>

> Hi J C,

>

> Yes, I know about the squirell cage cooling fan and the radiator that it pulls the air through. I checked it and it was running.

>

> The generator if it has set over night will start and run for about 5 to 10 mins and the AC voltage indicators are at full voltage and the amp guages are indicating what they should. But it shuts down after it has (I Think) run out of fuel. I have not had a chance to dig into what the problem is. I am on the road of course and have appointments that I must meet so it is keeping me from working on it.

>

> I know where the control circuits are behind the generator and I checked all the fuses, breaker, switches etc. and they seem to be ok.

>

> The overhead Pilot panel guages indicate cool temperature, good oil pressure, etc. so getting hot and shutting down is not a problem.

>

> It was a tad low on coolant and I topped that off and checked for leaks and found none.

>

> So that is the status now. I just checked it again today and same old problem. It shut down. It won't start up again either till you wait a good 30mins to an hour. It sure sounds like a fuel supply problem to me.

>

> Later.

>

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Ron,

>

> To address your generator situation: does the fan located in the very front driver's side bay start when you start the generator? If not, the geeny will overheat and shut itself off. What are your gauges (above your head as driver) telling you as it runs and then shuts down? If the fan does NOT come on, run the genny out (there's a switch in the same front bay) and look for a button circuit breaker and a switch on a box at the back of the genset. Mine are located on the side of this box, but I've heard of others on the back of this box. Reset the breaker(s) and flip the switch. Hopefully the fan will now run. Hope this helps. Just as an aside, if your fuel is below about 1/4 tank, the genny won't run as a safety to prevent you from running out of fuel by using the generator.

>

>

>

> As our learned Tommy has already indicated, you will often find most of the info you need on one of the main Bird forums out there. They have saved me a TON of headaches!

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> > Tommy,

>

> > Thanks, its encouraging to talk with someone who has the same frustrations that I have.

>

> >

>

> > One of the problems that I had with this coach is the Bird Box had been stripped of all the schematics and critical technical information. Probably by the technicians where it was located on consignment when i purchased it. I won't mention the name of the place.

>

> >

>

> > With the help of Kurt Horvath's disc that he made available to everyone sure went a long way to helping with that. I still run into things though like this LPG thing that I can't find information on. I searched the forum files too and there were a couple of items there but not any that would help with my problem. Its a night mare, especially when you are out here on the road in Las Cruces, NM.

>

> >

>

> > There is an RV service place right next door to the park I am in but not one BB do I see at their place. All of the RV's in theire service parking lot are of the 5th wheel type. I did go over there and buy some dump line parts though.

>

> >

>

> > As long as I am on shore power I am in good shape. But when on the road my generator won't run more than 5 mins at a time. I think that the fuel supply circuit may have lost its prime, or the fuel filter is prohibiting the flow of fuel and only lets a small amount gradually seep through which explains the running for 5 mins. But thats another problem.

>

> >

>

> > This morning I have to find a Jeep dealer where I can buy another aluminum matching rim and tire. I lost it on the road in Texas. Obliterated the tire and destroyed an expensive aluminum rim.

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> > 1995 WLWB 42'

>

> >

>

> > (cockyfox@ .)

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Ron:

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast from Tuscon, AZ to Oneonta, Alabama about 2,000 miles. Scarey, when I think about it.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Looking at my frame schematics, the LP tank should be in the center of the coach, just aft and street side of the front storage bulkhead. It would seem to me there is a removable plate on the wall just aft of the front pass-through compartment. That plate should be removable and the main cut-off valve should be behind it.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > As I understand the law, the government mandates a manual cut off valve and it has to be accessable somehow. I still believe your main manual valve is closed.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > FYI, as I began to learn about my coach, I would make lables and put them around, over, under and adjacent to every switch, toggle, handle etc. I even placed lables and warnings all over my dash area.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > That way, if I'm not available anyone would know where the components are and the controls for the same. Someone wisely said, these machimes will still be around after some (if not most of us)are gone. We are therefore stewards and we should make sure those who come after us don't have the same problems we have.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I still have one switch on the dash, which is an accessory switch, but no one has a clue as to what it is for.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Safe travels!

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > Tommy

>

> >

>

06-21-2009, 15:14
I know what you mean, I'm always learyabout getting into any big repairs at an rv park to.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:08:19 AM

Wayne,

Man, that is an important revelation. Never knew there was another blower back there. I have not seen any over heating whatsoever on the generator though. Water temp, oil Ok.

I had it in my mind that something had happened with the alternator and a sensor sensed it and shut the generator down. However I have no idea where that sensor if it exists would be.

I still think I have a fuel supply problem. If it sits over night, gravity flow will supply enough fuel to the circuit to equalize the pressure between the generator and the supply. Or it could be that even though the filter is fairly new that it has become invaded by some sludge or something like that and only allows fuel to the engine if it has been sitting for awhile and seepage has filled the filter slowly.

I am not going to work on it till I get to a place where it won't hurt to have a spill. All of the RV parks I have
been staying at so far have this lovely crushed rock everwhere and not a blade of grass. it sure wouldn't look nice to have a diesel spill on all of those lovely crushed rocks.LOL

Thanks for that bit of info about that other squirell cage blower. That is very important to know that.

1995 WLWB 42'

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Wayne Kotila yahoo.com> wrote:

Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 1:33 AM

Hi J C,

none.

Later.

1995 WLWB 42'

Ron,

headaches!

>
> Tommy,
>
>
NM.
>
>
>
>
> But, I shall prevail.
>
> Ron Thompson -Waller,
Tx.
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@.. .)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ron:
>
>
>
> I'll see if I can locate a schematic of the LP system for your bird. I can relate to your frustration. When i bought my bird last year, I spent almost a week going through the Bird Box looking at every scrap of paper, manuals etc. I was left with nothing but confusion about everything and was totally ignorant. In spite of this, I drove the beast
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Safe travels!
>
>
>
> Tommy
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)