Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hayden hydraulic oil cooler
07-18-2009, 13:47
Chuck,

Excellent. That was my plan if Bill Hamilton hadn't found that cracked copper fitting. I knew that the oil cooler was nothing more than a radiator and any good radiator shop should be able to repair or rebuild it. You are exactly right. Thanks for your input and check out my response to Fred Hulse for my solution.

Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, Chuck Wheeler wrote:
Subject: RE: [WanderlodgeForum] Hayden hydraulic oil cooler
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 4:11 PM

A good radiator shop can repair and build oil coolers. The local shop build a cooler for me to use on the Allison to take the heat load off the Radiator. Ended up putting on a friends coach so I need to get another one built. We used two small Hayden electric fans on it with a thermostatic control.
- Chuck Wheeler-
1982 FC 31SB Fort Worth TX

From: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:Wanderlodge Forum@yahoogroup s.com] On Behalf Of Ron Thompson
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:45 AM
To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Hayden hydraulic oil cooler

Hi folks its me again. I'm baaaaackkk.
I need help again. I am in need of a Hayden Hydraulic Oil Cooler for a 1995 WLWB 42 footer. I have searched the internet but so far have not been able to locate the two fan model that is present on the 1995 WLWB 42'. Can anyone help me with a source for that particular Hayden oil cooler.
It cools the hydraulic fluids of the radiator fan and also the power steering. I have bypassed the cooler by inserting a splice between the input and output lines. So far no over heating has been experienced but I am only in Fairbanks and have driven only a few miles. I ran into severe rock damage on the Alaska highway between Whitehorse, BC and Border City Usa. Took out my radiator and created a leak in the HAYDEN OIL COOLER. Cost me $2425.00 so far. I am about 6,000 or more miles from home in Texas and need to get an Hayden Oil cooler shipped in.
aThe oil cooler was the original one installed at birth for the Bird.
I don't have the model number right in front of me but one of you out there has been up this road before and might have the source for the cooler right at hand,.
I am desperate. Now that Bluebird is out of business where do we turn. Maybe Coach works is monitoring these messages and can help me.
Awaiting an answer from anyone.
Ron
1995 WLWB 42'
(cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2009, 13:52
Oil cooler is an oil cooler. There might be options more universial or better
built like an oil cooler off of a wheel loader.
I would let the fan electronics choose when to run the fan and not use the
detroit driven ac while you limp. You can always run 20 foot of rubber hydrolic
line in a loop in front of the radiator to get you home.

Greg of Tim&Greg
94ptca

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> Hi folks its me again.  I'm baaaaackkk.
>  
>
> I need help again.  I am in need of a Hayden Hydraulic Oil Cooler for a 1995
WLWB 42 footer.  I have searched the internet but so far have not been able to
locate the two fan model that is present on the 1995 WLWB 42'.  Can anyone help
me with a source for that particular Hayden oil cooler.
>  
> It cools the  hydraulic fluids of the radiator fan and also the power
steering.  I have bypassed the cooler by inserting a splice between the input
and output lines.  So far no over heating has been experienced but I am only in
Fairbanks and have driven only a few miles.  I ran into severe rock damage on
the Alaska highway between Whitehorse, BC and Border City Usa.  Took out my
radiator and created a leak in the HAYDEN OIL COOLER.  Cost me $2425.00 so far. 
I am about 6,000 or more miles from home in Texas and need to get an Hayden Oil
cooler shipped in.
>  
> aThe oil cooler was the original one installed at birth for the Bird.
>  
> I don't have the model number right in front of me but one of you out there
has been up this road before and might have the source for the cooler right at
hand,.
>  
> I am desperate.  Now that Bluebird is out of business where do we turn.  Maybe
Coach works is monitoring these messages and can help me.
>  
> Awaiting an answer from anyone.
>  
> Ron
> Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
> 1995 WLWB 42'
> (cockyfox@...)
>
07-18-2009, 13:55
Kurt,

Thanks for the input, I will file that link in my bookmarks under RV repair. I try to save all those kind of links I can get my hands on.

Check out my respons to Fred Hulse. I did find a solution to my problem and have now logged about 160 miles on the repair and its working just fine. I wanted out of Fairbanks as quick as I could after being stuck there for 9 days getting my radiator rebuilt from rock damage, a weld job on my Series 60 exhaust where it had burned through. Have to see about replacing the whole train when I get back to Texas. And of course the hydraulic oil cooler problem. I thought I was going to have to limp all the way to Anchorage to have it rebuilt. But thanks to a conscientious Bill Hamilton of Alaska RV repair center, we were able to take it apart and fix a cracked
coppper fitting with solder. Works fine too. That oil cooler has been in there for 14 years. I think I will get another 14 years out of it now.

Thanks for your respons Kurt.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, Kurt Horvath wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Hayden hydraulic oil cooler
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:01 PM

Hi Ron,

Try this link.

http://www.haydenin dustrial. com/electra- cool-select. html

Type C should be close to what your looking for.

You'll have to meassure the width other than that they all look to have the same specs.

Kurt Horvath

95 PT 42

10AC

--- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Thompson wrote:

>

> Hi folks its me again. I'm baaaaackkk.

>

>

> I need help again. I am in need of a Hayden Hydraulic Oil Cooler for a 1995 WLWB 42 footer. I have searched the internet but so far have not been able to locate the two fan model that is present on the 1995 WLWB 42'. Can anyone help me with a source for that particular Hayden oil cooler.

>

> It cools the hydraulic fluids of the radiator fan and also the power steering. I have bypassed the cooler by inserting a splice between the input and output lines. So far no over heating has been experienced but I am only in Fairbanks and have driven only a few miles. I ran into severe rock damage on the Alaska highway between Whitehorse, BC and Border City Usa. Took out my radiator and created a leak in the HAYDEN OIL COOLER. Cost me $2425.00 so far. I am about 6,000 or more miles from home in Texas and need to get an Hayden Oil cooler shipped in.

>

>

> I don't have the model number right in front of me but one of you out there has been up this road before and might have the source for the cooler right at hand,.

>

> I am desperate. Now that Bluebird is out of business where do we turn. Maybe Coach works is monitoring these messages and can help me.

>

>

> Ron

> 1995 WLWB 42'

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

07-18-2009, 14:01
Kurt,
I read your other email about this link first though it came in behind this one. Thanks.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, Kurt Horvath wrote:
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:12 PM

Ron,

Ron,

Check this link.

http://www.haydenin dustrial. com/electra- cool-select. html

It shound be the first cooler listed in TYPE C

TTEC20264

I sent a post a little while ago it did't post yet.

I looked at my files and did't find that BB number, good work Ron!

I hope this helps.

Kurt Horv ath

95 PT 42

10AC

>

> The model # of the Hayden oil cooler is EC20624. There is a bluebird part # I found on Kurt's disk, but I suppose that is no good anymore since Bluebird Wanderlodge went belly up.

>

> Has anyone had one of these rebuilt or repaired. Seems to me that an ordinary radiator shop should be able to find and repair a leak. After all it is only an radiator cooler anyway.

>

> It has been removed from my coach and a splice put in the input and output lines. It seems to work but I worry about heat build up. But I have no choice but to limp into Anchorage, after an over night or a couple of days at Denali Park. Anchorage has Camping World store in Anchorage so they might have that cooler in stock. I know I found one in Flagstaff, AZ. but at the time I had no need of one. I just remember seeing it there on a shelf. Anyway that is worth a try. I talked with a hydraulics man and he said I should be ok with bypassing the cooler in these cooler temperatures, just said to watch it if I get stuck in traffic and have to idle a long time. He said I should detect a change in the steering if it gets too hot.

>

> If anyone out there has experience with the bypassing of the cooler please let me know your advice. Or anyone else that has experience of any kind with these coolers.

>

> Thanks for being here with your vast collective knowledge.

>

> I will have trouble responding to any emails since the internet is mostly inaccessible in the boonies as well as cell phone service. Not sure whether Denali will have wifi available or not or even cell phone service.

>

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

> --- On Sat, 7/18/09, Ron Thompson wrote:

>

>

> From: Ron Thompson

> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Hayden hydraulic oil cooler

> To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:45 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I need help again. I am in need of a Hayden Hydraulic Oil Cooler for a 1995 WLWB 42 footer. I have searched the internet but so far have not been able to locate the two fan model that is present on the 1995 WLWB 42'. Can anyone help me with a source for that particular Hayden oil cooler.

>

> It cools the hydraulic fluids of the radiator fan and also the power steering. I have bypassed the cooler by inserting a splice between the input and output lines. So far no over heating has been experienced but I am only in Fairbanks and have driven only a few miles. I ran into severe rock damage on the Alaska highway between Whitehorse, BC and Border City Usa. Took out my radiator and created a leak in the HAYDEN OIL COOLER. Cost me $2425.00 so far. I am about 6,000 or more miles from home in Texas and need to get an Hayden Oil cooler shipped in.

>

>

> I don't have the model number right in front of me but one of you out there has been up this road before and might have the source for the cooler right at hand,.

>

> I am desperate. Now that Bluebird is out of business where do we turn. Maybe Coach works is monitoring these messages and can help me.

>

>

> Ron

> 1995 WLWB 42'

> (cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

>

07-18-2009, 14:07

That is great that the shop could repair it for you.
Keep the good streak going and you will get home safe and without issues.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
07-18-2009, 14:15
Stephen
Thanks for that address and phone number. I will file it for future reference. Luckily I have solved my problem with a little solder, Acetylene and solder flux. Bill Hamilton, a conscientious mechanic at Alaska RV in Fairbanks laid awake at night and decided he was going to tear the cooler apart and see what was leaking and found an inch long crack in an 1 1/2 copper fitting. We soldered that baby up and put it back together and I got the heck out of Fairbanks after 9 days. It is working just fine too. I think I might get another 14 years out of her.

Thanks for your input. Fred Hulse said that a few years ago his oil cooler was destroyed by rock damage on the gravely Alaskan Highway. He said the price for a brand new unit at that time was $2500.00. That shocked me. A good radiator
shop ought to be able to build one for a lot less.

Thanks again.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, Stephen Birtles wrote:
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:08 PM

Call hayden

Hayden Industrial Products

A division of Hayden Products, LLC

1531 Pomona Road

Corona, CA 92880

Phone: 951.736.2600

Fax: 951.736.2629

>

> The model # of the Hayden oil cooler is EC20624. There is a bluebird part # I found on Kurt's disk, but I suppose that is no good anymore since Bluebird Wanderlodge went belly up.

>

> Has anyone had one of these rebuilt or repaired. Seems to me that an ordinary radiator shop should be able to find and repair a leak. After all it is only an radiator cooler anyway.

>

> It has been removed from my coach and a splice put in the input and output lines. It seems to work but I worry about heat build up. But I have no choice but to limp into Anchorage, after an over night or a couple of days at Denali Park. Anchorage has Camping World store in Anchorage so they might have that cooler in stock. I know I found one in Flagstaff, AZ. but at the time I had no need of one. I just remember seeing it there on a shelf. Anyway that is worth a try. I talked with a hydraulics man and he said I should be ok with bypassing the cooler in these cooler temperatures, just said to watch it if I get stuck in traffic and have to idle a long time. He said I should detect a change in the steering if it gets too hot.

>

> If anyone out there has experience with the bypassing of the cooler please let me know your advice. Or anyone else that has experience of any kind with these coolers.

>

> Thanks for being here with your vast collective knowledge.

>

> I will have trouble responding to any emails since the internet is mostly inaccessible in the boonies as well as cell phone service. Not sure whether Denali will have wifi available or not or even cell phone service.

>

>

> 1995 WLWB 42'

> (cockyfox@.. .)

>

> --- On Sat, 7/18/09, Ron Thompson wrote:

>

>

> From: Ron Thompson

> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Hayden hydraulic oil cooler

> To: WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:45 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Ron

> 1995 WLWB 42'

> (cockyfox@sbcglobal .net)

>

07-18-2009, 14:23
Fred,
I have made it to Denali Park, AK and everything is fine so far. We will be here for at least two days and then on to Anchorage, Portage, Haines, Scagway and head for the good ole USA and Spokane, Wa. and the on to Mount Rushmore and the Dakotas, Nebraska, Montana, Iowa and Idaho. That will complete my multi year obsession to have set foot in every state in the US. I will be heading back to the ranch in Texas after that. Hell bent too I might add. LOL.

1995 WLWB 42'

(cockyfox@...)

--- On Sat, 7/18/09, Fred Hulse wrote:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Hayden hydraulic oil cooler
Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 9:07 PM

That is great that the shop could repair it for you.
Keep the good streak going and you will get home safe and without issues.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
07-18-2009, 14:45

I should point out that the price of the oil cooler was from the invoice of Blue Bird Coach Co.and may not have been the price that Hayden suggested at the time.
Most all of us knew how some product was valued more than reality suggests.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
07-19-2009, 02:39
Ron,

Good to hear your back up and running.

The big A is tough on Birds.

When your ready for that exhaust give me or Steven Birtles a call we have those
exhausts in stock.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> Kurt,
>
> Thanks for the input, I will file that link in my bookmarks under RV repair.
I try to save all those kind of links I can get my hands on.
>
> Check out my respons to Fred Hulse. I did find a solution to my problem and
have now logged about 160 miles on the repair and its working just fine. I
wanted out of Fairbanks as quick as I could after being stuck there for 9 days
getting my radiator rebuilt from rock damage, a weld job on my Series 60 exhaust
where it had burned through. Have to see about replacing the whole train when I
get back to Texas. And of course the hydraulic oil cooler problem. I thought I
was going to have to limp all the way to Anchorage to have it rebuilt. But
thanks to a conscientious Bill Hamilton of Alaska RV repair center, we were able
to take it apart and fix a cracked coppper fitting with solder. Works fine too.
That oil cooler has been in there for 14 years. I think I will get another 14
years out of it now.
>
> Thanks for your respons Kurt.
>
>
>
> 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> (cockyfox@...)
>
> --- On Sat, 7/18/09, Kurt Horvath wrote:
>
> From: Kurt Horvath
> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Hayden hydraulic oil cooler
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:01 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Ron,
>
>
>
> Try this link.
>
>
>
> http://www.haydenin dustrial. com/electra- cool-select. html
>
>
>
> Type C should be close to what your looking for.
>
>
>
> You'll have to meassure the width other than that they all look to have the
same specs.
>
>
>
> Kurt Horvath
>
> 95 PT 42
>
> 10AC
>
>
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Thompson wrote:
>
> >
>
> > Hi folks its me again. I'm baaaaackkk.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I need help again. I am in need of a Hayden Hydraulic Oil Cooler for a 1995
WLWB 42 footer. I have searched the internet but so far have not been able to
locate the two fan model that is present on the 1995 WLWB 42'. Can anyone help
me with a source for that particular Hayden oil cooler.
>
> >
>
> > It cools the hydraulic fluids of the radiator fan and also the power
steering. I have bypassed the cooler by inserting a splice between the input
and output lines. So far no over heating has been experienced but I am only in
Fairbanks and have driven only a few miles. I ran into severe rock damage on
the Alaska highway between Whitehorse, BC and Border City Usa. Took out my
radiator and created a leak in the HAYDEN OIL COOLER. Cost me $2425.00 so far.
I am about 6,000 or more miles from home in Texas and need to get an Hayden Oil
cooler shipped in.
>
> >
>
> > aThe oil cooler was the original one installed at birth for the Bird.
>
> >
>
> > I don't have the model number right in front of me but one of you out there
has been up this road before and might have the source for the cooler right at
hand,.
>
> >
>
> > I am desperate. Now that Bluebird is out of business where do we turn.
Maybe Coach works is monitoring these messages and can help me.
>
> >
>
> > Awaiting an answer from anyone.
>
> >
>
> > Ron
>
> > Ron Thompson -Waller, Tx.
>
> > 1995 WLWB 42'
>
> > (cockyfox@ .)
>
> >
>
07-19-2009, 04:46
Fred, sharing price is a good way to help members realize the best plan of
action. It also helps members compare their other options and the reality of
prices they are quoted. Radiator costs are closely tied to fluctuations in the
cost of metal. and it seems that 'radiator repair cost' were also closely tied
to the value of the repair as an option to replacement. I appreciate when a
member states their experience price wise with a repair. When metal was at its
peak a core for my bus was 2,300. and rodding/reman/rebuild was 1,200. Now that
metal is down a core is 1,300 and rodding 650.

Pre internet there was a non productive occupation official termed in many ways
but referred to as middleman. Web Sharing of product, contact, option, and
price information is slowly eliminating that occupation and putting more value
in the hands of the consumer /end user. The often highly intelligent middleman
have move on to also finding ways to add value to their service in an effort to
survive. Protection of the free share of information is one other reason this
forum is important as an alternative and compliment to the other wanderlodge web
sources. If one site holds all the info, dialogue and answers , that site
management has the ability for non productive control.

Thanks for Sharing

Greg of Tim&Greg
94ptCa

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hulse" wrote:
>e
> I should point out that the price of the oil cooler was from the invoice of
Blue Bird Coach Co.and may not have been the price that Hayden suggested at the
time.
> Most all of us knew how some product was valued more than reality suggests.
> Fred & Jeanne Hulse
> Morristown Arizona
> 1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)