Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Accident
08-20-2009, 16:47
Our Accident

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and offers of help. It is really appreciated. I have been busy during the day getting a rental ready for a new tenant so I can get to California next week for mom's birthday. Estimates, and repair work are on hold until I get back. I drive to California, so will be out of touch for a few days and I didn't want all the great Wanderlodge folks to think that I was ignoring you or do not appreciate this group. I am collecting parts, but am not doing any thing else until insurance has a look at it.
To answer one question, I did not exactly follow the Michelin procedures. Things happened fast! I hit the object in the road, heard it bang against the body a couple of times, started to think about taking the next off ramp to check for damage, then the tire exploded. We were about two feet from the barrier and as the bus started pulling that direction I started to correct and tapped the brake just enough to cancel the cruise control. I didn't want to take my hands off the wheel to turn it off. As we bounced off the barrier we were headed for an off ramp so I steered it that direction. I didn't accelerate or brake just let it coast until we were clear of the interstate and then slowed it down and parked on the shoulder. Kathy and I have discussed it and it was probably 3-4 seconds from the time we hit the object till we hit the barrier. I was concentrating on the off ramp because I really didn't want to get out on the bridge at 50 mph with a unit that I did not have completely undercontrol. I was also about 1/4 mile from the end of a 10 mile single lane and would have backed traffic up for a long distance.
I walked back to see if there were any parts to recover and found a lot of assorted parts thrown off the road. They must have a lot of "incidents" in that area.
There is a lot of cosmetic damage. but If I can get the grey water tank and drains repaired our Wanderlodge will be usable even if it is not pretty! I may have to change it's name to "ONE TOUGH RV!"
- Chuck Wheeler-
1982 FC 31SB Fort Worth TX
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2009, 17:26
Our Accident
Chuck if I'm wrong here my apologies but did you say you were on 'cruise control?

2009/8/20 Chuck Wheeler <"cwheeler@kathleenwheeler.com">

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and offers of help.  It is really appreciated.  I have been busy during the day getting a rental ready for a new tenant so I can get to California next week for mom's birthday.  Estimates, and repair work are on hold until I get back.  I drive to California, so will be out of touch for a few days and I didn't want all the great Wanderlodge folks to think that I was ignoring you or do not appreciate this group.  I am collecting parts, but am not doing any thing else until insurance has a look at it.

To answer one question, I did not exactly follow the Michelin procedures.  Things happened fast!  I hit the object in the road, heard it bang against the body a couple of times, started to think about taking the next off ramp to check for damage, then the tire exploded.  We were about two feet from the barrier and as the bus started pulling that direction I started to correct and tapped the brake just enough to cancel the cruise control.  I didn't want to take my hands off the wheel to turn it off.  As we bounced off the barrier we were headed for an off ramp so I steered it that direction.  I didn't accelerate or brake just let it coast until we were clear of the interstate and then slowed it down and parked on the shoulder.  Kathy and I have discussed it and it was probably 3-4 seconds from the time we hit the object till we hit the barrier.  I was concentrating on the off ramp because I really didn't want to get out on the bridge at 50 mph with a unit that I did not have completely under control.  I was also about 1/4 mile from the end of a 10 mile single lane and would have backed traffic up for a long distance.

I walked back to see if there were any parts to recover and found a lot of assorted parts thrown off the road.  They must have a lot of "incidents" in that area.

There is a lot of cosmetic damage. but If I can get the grey water tank and drains repaired our Wanderlodge will be usable even if it is not pretty!  I may have to change it's name to "ONE TOUGH RV!"

- Chuck Wheeler-

--
Rob, Sue and Joey Robinson
94 WLWB
08-21-2009, 16:06
Our Accident

Rob,
I had the cruise set. Traffic was pretty spread out, speed limit was 55 but everything was flowing about 50 and that's where I had the cruise set. I was about 400-500 feet behind the truck I had been following and the vehicle following me was probably 1/2 mile or so behind. The single lane had been wide. I was about ready to disengage the cruisefor thethe narrowbridge approach ahead when all the "fun" started. The following vehicle turned out to be a truck and he pulled over to see if we were OK.
- Chuck Wheeler-

From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Robinson
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 12:27 AM
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Our Accident

Chuck if I'm wrong here my apologies but did you say you were on 'cruise control?

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and offers of help. It is really appreciated. I have been busy during the day getting a rental ready for a new tenant so I can get to California next week for mom's birthday. Estimates, and repair work are on hold until I get back. I drive to California, so will be out of touch for a few days and I didn't want all the great Wanderlodge folks to think that I was ignoring you or do not appreciate this group. I am collecting parts, but am not doing any thing else until insurance has a look at it.
To answer one question, I did not exactly follow the Michelin procedures. Things happened fast! I hit the object in the road, heard it bang against the body a couple of times, started to think about taking the next off ramp to check for damage, then the tire exploded. We were about two feet from the barrier and as the bus started pulling that direction I started to correct and tapped the brake just enough to cancel the cruise control. I didn't want to take my hands off the wheel to turn it off. As we bounced off the barrier we were headed for an off ramp so I steered it that direction. I didn't accelerate or brake just let it coast until we were clear of the interstate and then slowed it down and parked on the shoulder. Kathy and I have discussed it and it was probably 3-4 seconds from the time we hit the object till we hit the barrier. I was concentrating on the off ramp because I really didn't want to get out on the bridge at 50 mph with a unit that I did not have completely undercontrol. I was also about 1/4 mile from the end of a 10 mile single lane and would have backed traffic up for a long distance.
I walked back to see if there were any parts to recover and found a lot of assorted parts thrown off the road. They must have a lot of "incidents" in that area.
There is a lot of cosmetic damage. but If I can get the grey water tank and drains repaired our Wanderlodge will be usable even if it is not pretty! I may have to change it's name to "ONE TOUGH RV!"
- Chuck Wheeler-

--
94 WLWB

08-23-2009, 04:32
Our Accident
I've been there and done that too. Sure glad all were unharmed. Keep us posted on your repairs so we can learn and maybe find parts for you. A running documentary will keep the members aware of your search for parts and may prove beneficial 

2009/8/21 Chuck Wheeler <"cwheeler@kathleenwheeler.com">

Rob,
I had the cruise set.  Traffic was pretty spread out, speed limit was 55 but everything was flowing about 50 and that's where I had the cruise set.  I was about 400-500 feet behind the truck I had been following and the vehicle following me was probably 1/2 mile or so behind. The single lane had been wide.  I was about ready to disengage the cruise for the the narrow bridge approach ahead when all the "fun" started.  The following vehicle turned out to be a truck and he pulled over to see if we were OK.

- Chuck Wheeler-

From: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com" [mailto:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"] On Behalf Of Rob Robinson
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and offers of help.  It is really appreciated.  I have been busy during the day getting a rental ready for a new tenant so I can get to California next week for mom's birthday.  Estimates, and repair work are on hold until I get back.  I drive to California, so will be out of touch for a few days and I didn't want all the great Wanderlodge folks to think that I was ignoring you or do not appreciate this group.  I am collecting parts, but am not doing any thing else until insurance has a look at it.

To answer one question, I did not exactly follow the Michelin procedures.  Things happened fast!  I hit the object in the road, heard it bang against the body a couple of times, started to think about taking the next off ramp to check for damage, then the tire exploded.  We were about two feet from the barrier and as the bus started pulling that direction I started to correct and tapped the brake just enough to cancel the cruise control.  I didn't want to take my hands off the wheel to turn it off.  As we bounced off the barrier we were headed for an off ramp so I steered it that direction.  I didn't accelerate or brake just let it coast until we were clear of the interstate and then slowed it down and parked on the shoulder.  Kathy and I have discussed it and it was probably 3-4 seconds from the time we hit the object till we hit the barrier.  I was concentrating on the off ramp because I really didn't want to get out on the bridge at 50 mph with a unit that I did not have completely under control.  I was also about 1/4 mile from the end of a 10 mile single lane and would have backed traffic up for a long distance.

I walked back to see if there were any parts to recover and found a lot of assorted parts thrown off the road.  They must have a lot of "incidents" in that area.

There is a lot of cosmetic damage. but If I can get the grey water tank and drains repaired our Wanderlodge will be usable even if it is not pretty!  I may have to change it's name to "ONE TOUGH RV!"

- Chuck Wheeler-

--
94 WLWB

--
94 WLWB
08-26-2009, 06:01
Our Accident

Rob,
I will keep everyone informed. I am in San Marcos, Ca right for mom's birthday. State Farm claim agent call yesterday. He had looked at the BB and declined to try to estimate.Didn't know haw to estimate a steel coach. Claim office said to take it to NorthTexas RV and they would useuse their estimate.
I had a couple of friends look at it. One restores old fire engines so is used to metal bodies.He thought it would be a fairly easy repair. Another friend look at the tank and said that he had repaired worst damage on boat tanks. I am looking for a hinge end ( the little piece that the door rod goes through, and a battery door. The door can be repaired if necessary.
I am still amazed at the slight damage for a hard as we hit. We were bounced around like a thrill ride! I have driven it 380 miles since the accident. Only noticeable thing is it pulls a little to the right but that could be due to a five year old Michelin paired with a new Bridgestone on the steer axle.
- Chuck Wheeler-

From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Robinson
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:33 AM

I've been there and done that too. Sure glad all were unharmed. Keep us posted on your repairs so we can learn and maybe find parts for you. A runningdocumentary will keep the members aware of your search for parts and may prove beneficial

2009/8/21 Chuck Wheeler <"cwheeler@kathleenwheeler.com">

Rob,
I had the cruise set. Traffic was pretty spread out, speed limit was 55 but everything was flowing about 50 and that's where I had the cruise set. I was about 400-500 feet behind the truck I had been following and the vehicle following me was probably 1/2 mile or so behind. The single lane had been wide. I was about ready to disengage the cruisefor thethe narrowbridge approach ahead when all the "fun" started. The following vehicle turned out to be a truck and he pulled over to see if we were OK.
- Chuck Wheeler-

From: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com" [mailto:"WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"] On Behalf Of Rob Robinson
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"

- Chuck Wheeler-

--
94 WLWB

--
94 WLWB

08-26-2009, 10:16
Our Accident

I have posted pictures of our accident.
- Chuck Wheeler-
08-26-2009, 10:22
Our Accident

Where is Prevost Car located. I may try to get a estimate from them to go along with the one from North Texas RV.
- Chuck Wheeler-

From: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronmarabito2002
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:53 PM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Our Accident

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. I still don't have my coach back from Prevost Car in Ft. Worth. We have passed 2 months not having the coach.

R.E. (Ron) Marabito, Dallas, TX 92WB40

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "Chuck Wheeler" .> wrote:
>
> Since I am looking for parts for out Wanderlodge, folks will probably want
> to know what happened. So here goes:
>
>
>
> Last week Kathy and I were headed to Nebraska from Fort Worth. We had
> stopped in Guthrie, OK and I had checked the tires, etc. About mile post
> 231, north bound on I-35, we were in a single lane construction zone between
> concrete dividers. I hit a piece of metal that couldn't be avoided and it
> made a great deal of noise. While I was thing that I would take the nest
> off ramp and see if there was any damage the left steer tire exploded. We
> were only about 2 feet from the concrete divider and we hit that at about
> 50mph. "Bouncing" off that pointed us toward an off ramp which we took to
> exit the highway.
>
>
>
> Damage was to the front left of the bumper and the body. The dump plumbing
> (gone), front left docking light (gone), front of the grey water tank(valve
> and tank fitting pulled out), battery door and hinge damage, and the left
> outside rear tire damage from being scraped along the concrete..
>
>
>
> Had road service installed a new tire and we drove it 308 miles back to Fort
> Worth. The road service person said that "your RV must be built like a
> tank! I have seen a lot of accidents along here and most of them are not
> drivable." I don't think a plastic coach or even a car would have survived
> hitting as hard as we did.
>
>
>
> Insurance is coming out to look at it. It will be interesting to see what
> they come up with. I could do most of the repairs if I had a place to work
> on it.
>
>
>
> I am looking for Tom Eastman to see if he still has Rick Archie's salvaged
> Wanderlodge. If any one has contact information for Tom I would appreciate
> it.
>
>
> - Chuck Wheeler-
> 1982 FC 31SB Fort Worth TX
>

08-26-2009, 10:28
Our Accident
I'm sold! I will be buying a BB!

Mark

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:16:28 -0500
Subject: RE: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: Our Accident

- Chuck Wheeler-

With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos. Click here.
08-26-2009, 13:26
Our Accident
Imagine if you'd been in a plastic palace!
Pete Masterson
'95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
El Sobrante CA
"aeonix1@mac.com"

On Aug 26, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Chuck Wheeler wrote:

- Chuck Wheeler-

08-28-2009, 01:20
Our Accident
I bet the minimal damage was more a result of "skill in driving and ownership".
Wanderlodge owners tend to be more versed in most aspects of the rv unit. "Luck
is when skill and opportunity come together"

DerekH showed me a video slide show of an accident with a class A stick and
staple rig that was a down hill run-a-way (3 occupants only one broken arm). To
many the fact that the RV was demolished looked to be the result of the rv unit
construction. I believe the demolition was the result of operator lack of
maintenance, skill and product understanding.

Tim and I sold hydroseeded lawns for ten years to retail customers. To minimize
the chance of mixing (cheap)cross pollinated cultivars of fescue in our
equipment we only used the 'top rated', 'center of field harvested' (cream of
the crop) blend of fescues. To maximize sales we advertised a cheaper blend
("Yard Sale") but delivered only the top rated blend regardless of the
customers request. Customers who ordered the more expensive package had better
results and required less after purchase attention. Since both groups of
customers were delivered the same control product :Lawn Result is more a matter
of the grower then it is the seed.

Accident Result is more a matter of the driver/owner then it is the rv make
construction.

Greg of Tim&Greg
94ptca

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Pete Masterson wrote:
>
> Imagine if you'd been in a plastic palace!
>
> Pete Masterson
> '95 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WBDA 42
> El Sobrante CA
> aeonix1@...
>
>
>
> On Aug 26, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Chuck Wheeler wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I have posted pictures of our accident.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/cwheeler76779/accident
> >
> > - Chuck Wheeler-
> > 1982 FC 31SB Fort Worth TX
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)