Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New batteries and charger
09-14-2009, 06:30
Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install a
new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was
plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.

I will say it was some work. The bolts were rusted and you needed to be in two
places at once (under the wheel well and in the engine area. The factory was
ensuring that if the coach ever fell off a cliff into the Grand Canyon, the
battery chargers would remain attached to their perch!! They are very ackward
to get to and pull out but I prevailed without using hammers, saw, or swearing!
I think I sweat about 2 gallons of water though. I had to drill a few new holes
to properly mount the new charger but that wasn't an issue since I have an
attachment for my drill that requires little clearance.

Since I rarely dry camp, I decided to go with regular 6v batteries vice the AGM.
The battery tray was full of dirt and rusted tray. I scraped almost a gallon of
dirt and rust particles from the tray! I wish I'd have bought some cleaner and
paint to give it a new look. Of course, the batteries were heavy but they all
installed nicely and the system seems to be charging properly.

I ended up with sore knees, arms and back. But, I am happy I have resolved
another problem with this coach. I still have several other things to do (new
awning, a few rust spots, hardwood floor, etc.

I look forward to meeting many of you at the Flying Flags gathering in Buellton,
CA on 16/17 Oct.

Jerry
85 PT40, Pt. Hueneme, CA
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2009, 07:15
Jerry, don't forget- I do hardwood floors and carpet-- if you are looking to hire this work out.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Mon, 9/14/09, jburgessx2 wrote:

Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] New batteries and charger
To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 1:30 PM

Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install a new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.

I will say it was some work. The bolts were rusted and you needed to be in two places at once (under the wheel well and in the engine area. The factory was ensuring that if the coach ever fell off a cliff into the Grand Canyon, the battery chargers would remain attached to their perch!! They are very ackward to get to and pull out but I prevailed without using hammers, saw, or swearing! I think I sweat about 2 gallons of water though. I had to drill a few new holes to properly mount the new charger but that wasn't an issue since I have an attachment for my drill that requires little clearance.

Since I rarely dry camp, I decided to go with regular 6v batteries vice the AGM. The battery tray was full of dirt and rusted tray. I scraped
almost a gallon of dirt and rust particles from the tray! I wish I'd have bought some cleaner and paint to give it a new look. Of course, the batteries were heavy but they all installed nicely and the system seems to be charging properly.

I ended up with sore knees, arms and back. But, I am happy I have resolved another problem with this coach. I still have several other things to do (new awning, a few rust spots, hardwood floor, etc.

I look forward to meeting many of you at the Flying Flags gathering in Buellton, CA on 16/17 Oct.

Jerry
85 PT40, Pt. Hueneme, CA

09-14-2009, 07:21
Ernie,

I hadn't forgot. Unfortunately, that's lower on my list right now because my carpet is good. But, new flooring is still on my list.

Jerry
85 PT40

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
To:
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] New batteries and charger

Jerry, don't forget- I do hardwood floors and carpet-- if you are looking to hire this work out.

Ernie Ekberg
83PT40
Wanderlodge
Weatherford, Tx 817-475-3991

--- On Mon, 9/14/09, jburgessx2 com> wrote:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] New batteries and charger
Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 1:30 PM

Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install a new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.

I will say it was some work. The bolts were rusted and you needed to be in two places at once (under the wheel well and in the engine area. The factory was ensuring that if the coach ever fell off a cliff into the Grand Canyon, the battery chargers would remain attached to their perch!! They are very ackward to get to and pull out but I prevailed without using hammers, saw, or swearing! I think I sweat about 2 gallons of water though. I had to drill a few new holes to properly mount the new charger but that wasn't an issue since I have an attachment for my drill that requires little clearance.

Since I rarely dry camp, I decided to go with regular 6v batteries vice the AGM. The battery tray was full of dirt and rusted tray. I scraped almost a gallon of dirt and rust particles from the tray! I wish I'd have bought some cleaner and paint to give it a new look. Of course, the batteries were heavy but they all installed nicely and the system seems to be charging properly.

I ended up with sore knees, arms and back. But, I am happy I have resolved another problem with this coach. I still have several other things to do (new awning, a few rust spots, hardwood floor, etc.

I look forward to meeting many of you at the Flying Flags gathering in Buellton, CA on 16/17 Oct.

Jerry
85 PT40, Pt. Hueneme, CA

09-14-2009, 13:41
Hi Jerry,

What kind of charger did you put in also was it a charger/inverter?

Denny

1980 FC 33 SB

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "jburgessx2" wrote:
>
> Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install
a new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was
plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.
>
> >
> Jerry
> 85 PT40, Pt. Hueneme, CA
>
09-14-2009, 13:56
I was going to go with a Truecharge but ended up wit. And, it's just the charger. We full time but spend most of our time hooked to shore power, therefore we didn't spend the extra money.

Jerry
85 PT40

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 01:41:15 -0000
To:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: New batteries and charger

Hi Jerry,

Denny

1980 FC 33 SB

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "jburgessx2" ...> wrote:
>
> Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install a new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.
>
> >
> Jerry
>

09-14-2009, 13:59
Looks like I lost some text from the Blackberry (go figure). What I meant to say was an Iota DLS 45.
Jerry
85 PT40

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:56:24 PM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: New batteries and charger

I was going to go with a Truecharge but ended up wit. And, it's just the charger. We full time but spend most of our time hooked to shore power, therefore we didn't spend the extra money.

Jerry
85 PT40

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 01:41:15 -0000
To:
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: New batteries and charger

Hi Jerry,

Denny

1980 FC 33 SB

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "jburgessx2" wrote:
>
> Well, I finally found the time to change out my 6 coach batteries and install a new charger. This still had the original chargers from 1985 but only one was plugged in - I assumed the other was inoperable.
>
> >
> Jerry
>

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)