Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
air leaks in fuel line?
10-19-2009, 14:16
air leaks in fuel line?
We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner isa former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops.
I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on diagnosis?
Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic. I just play one on TV.
No really, I don't know muchabout this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
Thanks!
Greg Young
1986 PT40
Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month,15,000 miles trip, having survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks,almost overheating, water temperatutre overheat switchfailure,two flat tires on the tow car...the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the enginegot hot...)
Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
-Kirpal Venanji
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2009, 15:08
air leaks in fuel line?

Does the generator run and pick up fuel ok?
Dan Williams, 88WB38,Jackson,MS
----- Original Message -----
To: "WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 9:16 PM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] air leaks in fuel line?

We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner isa former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops. I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on diagnosis?
Thanks!
Greg Young
1986 PT40
Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month,15,000 miles trip, having survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks,almost overheating, water temperatutre overheat switchfailure,two flat tires on the tow car...the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the enginegot hot...)
-Kirpal Venanji

10-19-2009, 16:10
air leaks in fuel line?
first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff a
rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.

then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic line
to watch the fuel cycle.

to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks came
apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head lift.

the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you may
have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as
recommended but when they fail, you can bet that they will fail often untill the
source of the crap has cleared up.

I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the performance
was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.

I would use the plastic line to bypass one filter then the other.

''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are
doing the impossible.
… – St. Francis of Assisi ''

Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Greg Young wrote:
>
> We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park.  The owner is a
former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a
problem, but we are stymied...  I will try to explain the sequence of events:
>
> 86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
>
> Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover from right block to left block,
the other the feed from the secondary filter to the right block) failed due to
abrasion against one another and started leaking.  We stopped in Fort Stockton
(having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car).  I
cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses.  I
took the opportunity to replace the primary and secondary fuel filters which
were both due.  Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racor filter with a Detroit
Diesel 382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge.  Now, we are able
to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with
fuel (and the secondary filter too) to prime the engine, but after starting the
engine as soon as the fuel in the filters is depleted the engine stops.  I swear
I have not touched the main fuel lines!  It appears we are getting air
> into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where.   Any thoughts on
diagnosis?
>
> Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic.  I just play one on TV.
>
> No really, I don't know much about this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg Young
> 1986 PT40
> Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month, 15,000 miles trip, having
survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks, almost
overheating, water temperatutre overheat switch failure, two flat tires on the
tow car... the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had
to ask for help to the group.  (Though Curt took a call when the engine got
hot...)
>  Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
> -Kirpal Venanji
>
10-20-2009, 01:05
air leaks in fuel line?
We will trybypassing the filters and testng the genny asDan suggested as soon as the campsite is fully awake. Thanks for the thoughts and willupdate as we find more.
Greg
-Kirpal Venanji

To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, October 19, 2009 11:10:54 PM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?

first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff a rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.

then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic line to watch the fuel cycle.

to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks came apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head lift.

the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you may have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as recommended but when they fail, you can bet that they will fail often untill the source of the crap has cleared up.

I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the performance was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.

''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's
possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", Greg Young wrote:
>
> We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner isa former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
>
>
> Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of
diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops. I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air
> into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on diagnosis?
>
> Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic. I just play one on TV.
>
> No
really, I don't know muchabout this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg Young
> 1986 PT40
> Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month,15,000 miles trip, having survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks,almost overheating, water temperatutre overheat switchfailure, two flat tires on the tow car...the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the enginegot hot...)
> Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
> -Kirpal Venanji
>

10-20-2009, 01:14
air leaks in fuel line?

you can also observe the racor gauge on the dash as you are starting the 8v92 and see if it goes in the red.
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?

We will trybypassing the filters and testng the genny asDan suggested as soon as the campsite is fully awake. Thanks for the thoughts and willupdate as we find more.
Greg
-Kirpal Venanji

first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff a rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.

then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic line to watch the fuel cycle.

to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks came apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head lift.

the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you may have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as recommended but when they fail, you can bet that they will fail often untill the source of the crap has cleared up.

I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the performance was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.

''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
>
> We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner isa former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
>
>
> Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops. I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air
>
>
> No really, I don't know muchabout this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg Young
> 1986 PT40
> Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month,15,000 miles trip, having survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks,almost overheating, water temperatutre overheat switchfailure, two flat tires on the tow car...the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the enginegot hot...)
> -Kirpal Venanji
>

10-20-2009, 02:15
air leaks in fuel line?
Took out the Racor when it proved leaky two years ago. Current primary filter is a DD 382 with a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. No instrumentation.
G

Home is where my iPhone is.
On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:14 AM, "dan" <"dangw@att.net"> wrote:

you can also observe the racor gauge on the dash as you are starting the 8v92 and see if it goes in the red.
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?

Greg
-Kirpal Venanji

''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
>
>
>
> Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops. I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air
>
>
> No really, I don't know muchabout this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg Young
> 1986 PT40
> -Kirpal Venanji
>

Recent Activity
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

10-20-2009, 02:55
air leaks in fuel line?
Greg
I am very familiar with that filter. If you can get it started, look at the
fuel level thru the clear top. If the fuel level goes down slightly when you rev
it up and then goes up slightly when you let off the fuel pedal, that is what it
is supposed to do. If the fuel level does not move when started and reved up,
then released, chances are you have a tiny air leak. Do you have the proper
wrench that fits that filter? If not get one. It is very difficult to tighten
that filter without the special wrench. Also be sure the top filler plug is
tight. The smallest air leak will prevent the bird from running properly. Next
with the filter and bowl off does fuel run thru it and out the exit point?(could
have crud in it preventing this) Are the fittings into and out of the filter
clean. There is a check valve in one. On one of the fittings on mine was a 1/4
inch tube which goes to the driver's filter gauge. An air leak in this line will
shut you down. If you have this, remove it, and plug the fitting temporarily.
At some point, bypassing the filter completely will allow you to determine if
your problem is in the filter assembly. Good luck, let me know if you have any
other questions about this filter.

Rick Archie
85 PT 40 For Sale
97 WL 43 "Fort R #4"
Fort Worth, Tx

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Greg Young wrote:
>
> Took out the Racor when it proved leaky two years ago. Current primary filter
is a DD 382 with a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. No instrumentation.
>
> G
>
> Home is where my iPhone is.
>
> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:14 AM, "dan" wrote:
>
> 
>
> you can also observe the racor gauge on the dash as you are starting the 8v92
and see if it goes in the red.
>
> Dan Williams, 88WB38,Jackson,MS
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Greg Young
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:05 AM
> Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?
>
>
> We will try bypassing the filters and testng the genny as Dan suggested as
soon as the campsite is fully awake. Thanks for the thoughts and will update as
we find more.
>
> Greg
>
> -Kirpal Venanji
>
>
> From: gregory O
> To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, October 19, 2009 11:10:54 PM
> Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?
>
>
> first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff a
rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.
>
> then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic
line to watch the fuel cycle.
>
> to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks
came apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head
lift.
>
> the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you may
have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as
recommended but when they fail, you can bet that they will fail often untill the
>
> I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the
performance was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.
>
> I would use the plastic line to bypass one filter then the other.
>
> ''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are
doing the impossible.
> … â€" St. Francis of Assisi ''
>
> Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Greg Young wrote:
> >
> > We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner is a
problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
> >
> > 86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
> >
> > Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover from right block to left
block, the other the feed from the secondary filter to the right block) failed
due to abrasion against one another and started leaking. We stopped in Fort
Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow
car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing
hoses. I took the opportunity to replace the primary and secondary fuel filters
which were both due. Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racor filter with a
Detroit Diesel 382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we
are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the
filter with fuel (and the secondary filter too) to prime the engine, but after
starting the engine as soon as the fuel in the filters is depleted the engine
stops. I swear I have not touched the main fuel lines! It appears we are
getting air
> > into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on
diagnosis?
> >
> > Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic. I just play one on TV.
> >
> > No really, I don't know much about this stuff, but am picking up what I can.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Greg Young
> > 1986 PT40
> > Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month, 15,000 miles trip, having
survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks, almost
overheating, water temperatutre overheat switch failure, two flat tires on the
tow car... the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had
to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the engine got
hot...)
> > Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
> > -Kirpal Venanji
> >
>
>
>
> Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls
>
> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
> Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
> RECENT ACTIVITY
> 7
> New Members
> 2
> New Photos
> 1
> New Files
> Visit Your Group
> Give Back
> Yahoo! for Good
>
> Get inspired
>
> by a good cause.
>
> Y! Toolbar
>
10-20-2009, 03:07
air leaks in fuel line?
didnt CurtS have a fuel delivery problem on a 8V92 after some unrelated issue
repair that turned out to be a minor overlook?. I remember him replacing pumps
?????????
Greg of Tim&Greg

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" wrote:
>
> Greg
> I am very familiar with that filter. If you can get it started, look at the
fuel level thru the clear top. If the fuel level goes down slightly when you rev
it up and then goes up slightly when you let off the fuel pedal, that is what it
is supposed to do. If the fuel level does not move when started and reved up,
then released, chances are you have a tiny air leak. Do you have the proper
wrench that fits that filter? If not get one. It is very difficult to tighten
that filter without the special wrench. Also be sure the top filler plug is
tight. The smallest air leak will prevent the bird from running properly. Next
with the filter and bowl off does fuel run thru it and out the exit point?(could
have crud in it preventing this) Are the fittings into and out of the filter
clean. There is a check valve in one. On one of the fittings on mine was a 1/4
inch tube which goes to the driver's filter gauge. An air leak in this line will
shut you down. If you have this, remove it, and plug the fitting temporarily.
> At some point, bypassing the filter completely will allow you to determine if
your problem is in the filter assembly. Good luck, let me know if you have any
other questions about this filter.
>
> Rick Archie
> 85 PT 40 For Sale
> 97 WL 43 "Fort R #4"
> Fort Worth, Tx
>
> --- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Greg Young wrote:
> >
> > Took out the Racor when it proved leaky two years ago. Current primary
filter is a DD 382 with a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. No instrumentation.
> >
> > G
> >
> > Home is where my iPhone is.
> >
> > On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:14 AM, "dan" wrote:
> >
> > 
> >
> > you can also observe the racor gauge on the dash as you are starting the
8v92 and see if it goes in the red.
> >
> > Dan Williams, 88WB38,Jackson,MS
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Greg Young
> > To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:05 AM
> > Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?
> >
> >
> > We will try bypassing the filters and testng the genny as Dan suggested as
soon as the campsite is fully awake. Thanks for the thoughts and will update as
we find more.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > -Kirpal Venanji
> >
> >
> > From: gregory O
> > To: WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Mon, October 19, 2009 11:10:54 PM
> > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?
> >
> >
> > first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff
a rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.
> >
> > then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic
line to watch the fuel cycle.
> >
> > to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks
came apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head
lift.
> >
> > the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you
may have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as
> >
> > I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the
performance was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.
> >
> > I would use the plastic line to bypass one filter then the other.
> >
> > ''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you
are doing the impossible.
> > … â€" St. Francis of Assisi ''
> >
> > Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca
> > --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Greg Young wrote:
> > >
> > > We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner is a
problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:
> > >
> > > 86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
> > >
> > > Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover from right block to left
block, the other the feed from the secondary filter to the right block) failed
due to abrasion against one another and started leaking. We stopped in Fort
Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow
car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing
hoses. I took the opportunity to replace the primary and secondary fuel filters
which were both due. Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racor filter with a
Detroit Diesel 382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we
are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the
filter with fuel (and the secondary filter too) to prime the engine, but after
starting the engine as soon as the fuel in the filters is depleted the engine
stops. I swear I have not touched the main fuel lines! It appears we are
getting air
> > > into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on
diagnosis?
> > >
> > > Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic. I just play one on TV.
> > >
> > > No really, I don't know much about this stuff, but am picking up what I
can.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Greg Young
> > > 1986 PT40
> > > Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month, 15,000 miles trip, having
survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks, almost
overheating, water temperatutre overheat switch failure, two flat tires on the
tow car... the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had
to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the engine got
hot...)
> > > Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.
> > > -Kirpal Venanji
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls
> >
> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
to Traditional
> > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
> > RECENT ACTIVITY
> > 7
> > New Members
> > 2
> > New Photos
> > 1
> > New Files
> > Visit Your Group
> > Give Back
> > Yahoo! for Good
> >
> > Get inspired
> >
> > by a good cause.
> >
> > Y! Toolbar
> >
>
10-20-2009, 03:40
air leaks in fuel line?
Greg,
Your memory is very good!

The problem I believe you are recalling is... when priming the 8V92 I failed to close off the feed

from the external fuel container when she was up and running, causing a low pressure reading at the secondary fuel filter gauge. Doesn't pertain to what Greg Young is experiencing.

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:07 AM, gregory O <"greg@rainbowrv.com"> wrote:

didnt CurtS have a fuel delivery problem on a 8V92 after some unrelated issue repair that turned out to be a minor overlook?. I remember him replacing pumps ?????????

Greg of Tim&Greg

--- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", "Rick" wrote:

>

> Greg

> I am very familiar with that filter. If you can get it started, look at the fuel level thru the clear top. If the fuel level goes down slightly when you rev it up and then goes up slightly when you let off the fuel pedal, that is what it is supposed to do. If the fuel level does not move when started and reved up, then released, chances are you have a tiny air leak. Do you have the proper wrench that fits that filter? If not get one. It is very difficult to tighten that filter without the special wrench. Also be sure the top filler plug is tight. The smallest air leak will prevent the bird from running properly. Next with the filter and bowl off does fuel run thru it and out the exit point?(could have crud in it preventing this) Are the fittings into and out of the filter clean. There is a check valve in one. On one of the fittings on mine was a 1/4 inch tube which goes to the driver's filter gauge. An air leak in this line will shut you down. If you have this, remove it, and plug the fitting temporarily.

> At some point, bypassing the filter completely will allow you to determine if your problem is in the filter assembly. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions about this filter.

>

> Rick Archie

> 85 PT 40 For Sale

> 97 WL 43 "Fort R #4"

> Fort Worth, Tx

>

> --- In "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com", Greg Young wrote:

> >

> > Took out the Racor when it proved leaky two years ago. Current primary filter is a DD 382 with a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. No instrumentation.

> >

> > G

> >

> > Home is where my iPhone is.

> >

> > On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:14 AM, "dan" wrote:

> >

> > 

> >

> > you can also observe the racor gauge on the dash as you are starting the 8v92 and see if it goes in the red.

> >

> > Dan Williams, 88WB38,Jackson,MS

> > ----- Original Message -----

> > From: Greg Young

> > To: "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com"

> > Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:05 AM

> > Subject: Re: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?

> >

> >

> > We will try bypassing the filters and testng the genny as Dan suggested as soon as the campsite is fully awake. Thanks for the thoughts and will update as we find more.

> >

> > Greg

> >

> > -Kirpal Venanji

> >

> >

> > From: gregory O

> > To: "WanderlodgeForum%40yahoogroups.com"

> > Sent: Mon, October 19, 2009 11:10:54 PM

> > Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] Re: air leaks in fuel line?

> >

> >

> > first thing I do when there is a fuel prob. is remove the fuel cap and stuff a rag in it.this will prove tank vent working or not.

> >

> > then replace a section of supply to first filter hose with a clear plastic line to watch the fuel cycle.

> >

> > to me it sounds like a line that you touched while checking for more leaks came apart in an interior ply and gets sucked closed when the pump draws head lift.

> >

> > the issue proved the lines were weak. now screwing with the weak lines you may have filled up the filters again. I dont replace fuel filters as often as recommended but when they fail, you can bet that they will fail often untill the source of the crap has cleared up.

> >

> > I have, in a pinch, used plastic airline hose for fuel line and the performance was so good I continue to use it in small diesel apps.

> >

> > I would use the plastic line to bypass one filter then the other.

> >

> > ''Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

> > … â€" St. Francis of Assisi ''

> >

> > Greg of Tim&Greg 94ptca

> > --- In WanderlodgeForum@ yahoogroups. com, Greg Young wrote:

> > >

> > > We are in Fort Stockton TX at the Fort Stockton RV Park. The owner is a former Detroit Diesel mechanic and has been helping me diagnose and fix a problem, but we are stymied... I will try to explain the sequence of events:

> > >

> > > 86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver

> > >

> > > Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover from right block to left block, the other the feed from the secondary filter to the right block) failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking. We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace the primary and secondary fuel filters which were both due. Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racor filter with a Detroit Diesel 382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (and the secondary filter too) to prime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuel in the filters is depleted the engine stops. I swear I have not touched the main fuel lines! It appears we are getting air

> > > into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on diagnosis?

> > >

> > > Remember that I'm not really a diesel mechanic. I just play one on TV.

> > >

> > > No really, I don't know much about this stuff, but am picking up what I can.

> > >

> > > Thanks!

> > > Greg Young

> > > 1986 PT40

> > > Currently closing towards the end of a 5 month, 15,000 miles trip, having survived transmission leaks, 2 weeks at Burning Man, oil leaks, almost overheating, water temperatutre overheat switch failure, two flat tires on the tow car... the list is long, and I'm proud that this is the first time I've had to ask for help to the group. (Though Curt took a call when the engine got hot...)

> > > Each time you judge yourself you break your heart.

> > > -Kirpal Venanji

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> > Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

> > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls

> >

> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)

> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional

> > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

> > RECENT ACTIVITY

> > 7

> > New Members

> > 2

> > New Photos

> > 1

> > New Files

> > Visit Your Group

> > Give Back

> > Yahoo! for Good

> >

> > Get inspired

> >

> > by a good cause.

> >

> > Y! Toolbar

> >

>

10-20-2009, 05:02
air leaks in fuel line?
Genny runs fine. Problem is all in the flow to the engine.
Greg

Home is where my iPhone is.
On Oct 19, 2009, at 10:08 PM, "dan" <"dangw@att.net"> wrote:

Does the generator run and pick up fuel ok?
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 9:16 PM
Subject: [WanderlodgeForum] air leaks in fuel line?

86 PT40, DD 8V92 Silver
Two of the small fuel lines (one the crossover fromright block to left block, the otherthe feed from the secondary filter to theright block)failed due to abrasion against one another and started leaking.We stopped in Fort Stockton (having probably lost about 30 gals of diesel on the road and our tow car). I cobbled together a couple of new hoses and have replaced the ailing hoses. I took the opportunity to replace theprimaryand secondary fuel filters which were both due.Our friends at CCW had replaced the Racorfilter with a Detroit Diesel382 filter, which uses a Donaldson P550467 cartridge. Now, we are able to fill the filter body and the main fuel line from the tank to the filter with fuel (andthe secondary filter too) toprime the engine, but after starting the engine as soon as the fuelin the filters is depleted the enginestops. I swear I have not touched themain fuel lines!It appears weare getting air into the fuel line, but we can't figure out where. Any thoughts on diagnosis?
Thanks!
Greg Young
1986 PT40
-Kirpal Venanji

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)