Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicad Batteries Back to Life
12-05-2009, 14:24
Nothing to do with 'Birds. on this post unless you carry NiCad powered tools. Short post to start...

Today I tried a procedure to bring a 14.4 volt NiCad tool battery back to life. The battery was dead, would not take a charge, measured zero voltage on the meter, and I was going to throw it out. After the first two steps the battery measured 13 + volts. Placing the battery in the battery charger until the light showed 'Charged', the battery now measures 16.6 volts. Placing the rejuvenated battery in the hammer drill, I don't believe the drill has every run that strong. Longevity remains to be tested.  

Anyone done anything like this before? I can post more if there is interest.    

Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"

Anaheim Hills, CA
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2009, 14:39

Curt
I am sorry but I don't think I understand exactly what you did other than charge it twice.
Is that correct??
FredHulse
Finally back to life again.
12-05-2009, 15:24
Fred,
I sent you a private email.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Fred Hulse <"fhulse@wildblue.net"> wrote:

Curt
I am sorry but I don't think I understand exactly what you did other than charge it twice.
Is that correct??

Fred Hulse

Finally back to life again.
12-05-2009, 15:40
Please Curt, let the rest of us in on this. Like you, I have always considered
used-up nicads to be doorstops.

And, of course this is on topic. How could you maintain a Wanderlodge without
your nicad (or nmhd) powered tools?

Bob Griesel '84 FC31 WLII

--- In WanderlodgeForum@yahoogroups.com, Curt Sprenger wrote:
>
> Fred,
> I sent you a private email.
>
>
> Curt Sprenger
> 1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
> Anaheim Hills, CA
>
>
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Fred Hulse wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > 
> > Curt
> > I am sorry but I don't think I understand exactly what you did other than
> > charge it twice.
> > Is that correct??
> >
> > Fred Hulse
> >
> > Finally back to life again.
> >
> >
> >
>
12-06-2009, 12:20

Thanks to Curt, Itried the method of renewing a couple of well used Batteries for a very old 12 voltCraftsman drill I have.
Battery # 1
This batterywould not charge at all when putin the charger, the best I could do was watch the red lamp on the charger flash,indicating a bad battery. After the procedure in the guys video I got the same results, but finally figured out what he was trying to do.I believe my battery was so discharged it may have reversed the polarity, I am only guessing of course,considering I don't have any sage knowledge about these things. I decided to charge it a little bit with theautomotive battery charger and it tested11. somethingvolts,then I placed it in theSears charger and the red light was solid indicating it was charging normally,after about three or four hours the lamp had turned green indicating it was slow charging and had reached its 12 something volts.The battery has tested 12 plus volts and has never worked that ole drill better!! Very pleased with the outcome.
Battery # 2
This is aChinese replacement battery I bought online from a vendor selling Heavy Duty Replacements for your Craftsman Industrial drill,I have been able to use it about 10 minutes at the longest since I started using it and it would then be a dead Heavy Duty Replacement.Using the same method it appears I have revived it to live up to its name and will spin the ole drill much much better. I would not be surprised if it loses its glamour. Not very pleased with this one.
Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41
12-06-2009, 23:59
I would love to hear about the details of this also, I have lots of dead drill batteries to try it on!
Dorn Hetzel
77FC35
Hogansville, GA

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Fred Hulse <"fhulse@wildblue.net"> wrote:

Thanks to Curt, I tried the method of renewing a couple of well used Batteries for a very old 12 volt Craftsman drill I have.
Battery # 1
This battery would not charge at all when put in the charger, the best I could do was watch the red lamp on the charger flash,indicating a bad battery. After the procedure in the guys video I got the same results,  but finally figured out what he was trying to do.I believe my battery was so discharged it may have reversed the polarity, I am only guessing of course,considering I don't have any sage knowledge about these things. I decided to charge it a little bit with the automotive battery charger and it tested 11. something volts,then I placed it in the Sears charger and the red light was solid indicating it was charging normally,after about three or four hours the lamp had turned green indicating it was slow charging and had reached its 12 something volts.The battery has tested 12 plus volts and has never worked that ole drill better!! Very pleased with the outcome.
Battery # 2  
This is a Chinese replacement battery I bought online from a vendor selling Heavy Duty Replacements for your Craftsman Industrial drill, I have been able to use it about 10 minutes at the longest since I started using it and it would then be a dead Heavy Duty Replacement.Using the same method it appears I have revived it to live up to its name and will spin the ole drill much much better. I would not be surprised if it loses its glamour. Not very pleased with this one.

Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41

12-07-2009, 02:35
Dorn,
Go the the WanderlodgForum, click on "Attachments", look for "Bring NiCad Batteries...", click on the link to see the video.

Curt Sprenger
Anaheim Hills, CA

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Dorn Hetzel <"dorn@hetzel.org"> wrote:

I would love to hear about the details of this also, I have lots of dead drill batteries to try it on!

Dorn Hetzel
77FC35
Hogansville, GA

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Fred Hulse <"fhulse@wildblue.net"> wrote:

Thanks to Curt, I tried the method of renewing a couple of well used Batteries for a very old 12 volt Craftsman drill I have.
Battery # 1
This battery would not charge at all when put in the charger, the best I could do was watch the red lamp on the charger flash,indicating a bad battery. After the procedure in the guys video I got the same results,  but finally figured out what he was trying to do.I believe my battery was so discharged it may have reversed the polarity, I am only guessing of course,considering I don't have any sage knowledge about these things. I decided to charge it a little bit with the automotive battery charger and it tested 11. something volts,then I placed it in the Sears charger and the red light was solid indicating it was charging normally,after about three or four hours the lamp had turned green indicating it was slow charging and had reached its 12 something volts.The battery has tested 12 plus volts and has never worked that ole drill better!! Very pleased with the outcome.
Battery # 2  
This is a Chinese replacement battery I bought online from a vendor selling Heavy Duty Replacements for your Craftsman Industrial drill, I have been able to use it about 10 minutes at the longest since I started using it and it would then be a dead Heavy Duty Replacement.Using the same method it appears I have revived it to live up to its name and will spin the ole drill much much better. I would not be surprised if it loses its glamour. Not very pleased with this one.

Fred & Jeanne Hulse
Morristown Arizona
1997 Wanderlodge WLWB41

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)