Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digitel monitoring system
05-30-2013, 19:43
RE: Digitel monitoring system
(05-22-2013 18:55)gondolaguy Wrote:  One we won't likely need is the "Terrain" "Terrain" "Pull up" "Pull up"

Or a stall warning. But I dunno, maybe if the little man was sufficiently Parisien, I would let him have a say:

"Pourquoi we are stoppeeng ici? OH! Sorree, my misteak--I see now, wee have not stopp'ed, wee air climbeeng some meeneescule montagne. Zis three honnard horsepoweur CAT, fwuh. I will scatteur dog-biskeet out zee door toot sweet. Sacre blue, we should have allowed more time. Tsk."

Bad enough just having a speed-over-ground meter when climbing mountain passes. Shy

It would be great if the little man was interactive. I'd grouse, "STFU little man." And he would reply, "Non, m'sieur. Eet is you who must do that one."

Zoot!

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 21:05 (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 21:05 by nedb.)
(05-21-2013 20:06)mikebulriss Wrote:  In summary, I am hoping David's SAN work can reproduce a new version of the Little Man. Maybe some of you guys with older coaches with a functioning Digitel can fill David in on some of the other features that this system monitored.

So the Digitel voice was a Steven Hawking kind of computer voice? Like, this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaezclC8lo

The EMIC voice on YouTube requires careful listening. It seems to me to require a great deal of mental effort to get the message from a Hawking kind of synthesized voice.

A more natural "human" voice might be easier to understand. I guess the HAL 2000 voice in 2001:A Space Oddysey is what I'd prefer.
Considering the finite number of things it would need to say, I'm surprised Wanderlodge didn't go for a recorded voice like HAL.

American Express used to have a female voice on their customer support phone line that was so pleasant I used to call it just to listen. Wish I had an example of it, it had a kind of "Terry Gross" quality (if you know what I mean, the NPR voice on "All Things Considered"), but was clearly intended to be an impersonal computer speaking. I think it was reprocessed voice recording.

An updated Digitel should speak less like EMIC, more like the American Express voice, IMHO.

-------
Ned Bedinger
Southworth, WA
'91 SP36 +1988.5 Samurai
06-03-2013, 23:35
Yep, sounds pretty much just like that. Personally, I prefer it (sounds really cool to me). Ultimate would be pick between voices Smile

DuWayne & Shannon Murdock
Cedar Park, Tx.
1984 FC35RB
06-04-2013, 10:28
on a similar note....i installed geothermal heating and air conditioning at my cabin in northern arizona. i wanted a way to monitor its status and control it remotely so i could heat it up before arriving.

i do not have internet there so had to use phone lines. i found an older set up and used it for a few years but it was limited in its capability and failed often. i did the research and found a high end honeywell system that i installed a couple of years ago and it is really nice. it allows remote monitoring and control of the hvac system and will call me if the power goes out (which it does quite a bit up there), calls me whenever there is a system issue and will call me back when the power comes back on etc. when i call it, it will give me the humidity, the temp and the status of the system and i can change anything remotely. it gets to 0 in the winter and i keep it at 50 to keep things from freezing in the cabin. so it is nice to have it a nice 72 when we get there. and if i forget to turn it down when we leave, i just call and do it.

works out nice as my kids and their friends and family go up so i can just take care of that for them.

a couple of years ago my wife and i did a work assignment and lived in tel aviv israel. the unit called me on my cell phone there and alerted me to a problem. i then had a neighbor go check it out.

anyway, thought you might be amused by it. david, just make sure any sans you do will work in my newell too.....

tom

2002 Two Slide Newell Coach 608 DD Series 60, Allison 6 speed
06-04-2013, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:27 by davidbrady.)
Very cool (pun: and hot) system Tom! Smile Makes you wonder how we got a long in the old days...

You bet, whatever we do here will be useful to the Newell community too. I envision a turn-key package that folks who don't like to twiddle bits can install and a more elaborate package for geeks like me. I'd like to put together a webpage front end with a mySQL database to allow folks to keep state, make changes and additions. It'd be great if folks can add the physical monitoring and control gadgets to their buses and then go to the webpage front end to configure the virtual elements enabling remote monitoring and control. I can see them adding an Identifer for the new feature and defining the state and operation, then creating a new mySQL record. This way WaGu can give users the necessary tools on the web side to remotely monitor/control their physical objects on the bus side. Of course we can't leave out voice synthesis! LOL Smile

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
06-04-2013, 20:03
Ned,

Yes, it was fairly close to that, but I remember the Digitel I had as being a little clearer and more fluid, so it was pretty easy to understand. Pretty close though.

Mike Bulriss
1991 WB40 "Texas Minivan" - without a Digitel Sad
San Antonio, TX

(06-03-2013 21:05)nedb Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 20:06)mikebulriss Wrote:  In summary, I am hoping David's SAN work can reproduce a new version of the Little Man. Maybe some of you guys with older coaches with a functioning Digitel can fill David in on some of the other features that this system monitored.

So the Digitel voice was a Steven Hawking kind of computer voice? Like, this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaezclC8lo

The EMIC voice on YouTube requires careful listening. It seems to me to require a great deal of mental effort to get the message from a Hawking kind of synthesized voice.

A more natural "human" voice might be easier to understand. I guess the HAL 2000 voice in 2001:A Space Oddysey is what I'd prefer.
Considering the finite number of things it would need to say, I'm surprised Wanderlodge didn't go for a recorded voice like HAL.

American Express used to have a female voice on their customer support phone line that was so pleasant I used to call it just to listen. Wish I had an example of it, it had a kind of "Terry Gross" quality (if you know what I mean, the NPR voice on "All Things Considered"), but was clearly intended to be an impersonal computer speaking. I think it was reprocessed voice recording.

An updated Digitel should speak less like EMIC, more like the American Express voice, IMHO.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)