Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muffler For LXi
05-24-2013, 13:14
Muffler For LXi
Where';s the best place to buy a muffler for a LXi? Is a stainless steel muffler worth the added cost over a galvanized muffler? Anyone know the muffler's dimensions off hand?

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2003 Prevost Marathon XLII
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2013, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 14:08 by travelite.)
RE: Muffler For LXi
Hi Chuck,

It's a Donaldson/Nelson/Fleetguard 86610M. It's standard size 51.5" long, 10.5" dia, 6" inlet and outlet. Fleetpride can deliver it to you for around $300.00.

Or, if you don't mind a little more noise and you want the benefit of cooler exhaust gas temps you can get a Pittsburg Power free flow exhaust: http://wanderlodgegurus.com/Thread-Stain...B-thru-LXi

I put a free flow aluminized steel Pittsburg Power muffler on mine, not stainless steel. I don't think SS is worth the money in a muffler. I think a standard muffler is good for 8+ years and there's no guarantee that a SS muffler won't rust out. SS needs to be welded very carefully and passivated properly to make it last when welded.

david brady,
'02 Wanderlodge LXi 'Smokey' (Sold),
'04 Prevost H3 Vantare 'SpongeBob'

"I don't like being wrong, but I really hate being right"
05-24-2013, 14:43
Why did you spec the 6" inlet/outlet? Isn't the turbo outlet 5"?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
05-24-2013, 14:54
Hi John,

It is 5" at the turbo but then the exhaust pipe work flares out to 6". Isn't yours the same way?

david brady,

05-24-2013, 15:32
(05-24-2013 14:54)davidmbrady Wrote:  Hi John,

It is 5" at the turbo but then the exhaust pipe work flares out to 6". Isn't yours the same way?

David,

Escrow closed on my home in AZ, so I have no RV garage at home in CA.
So, my coach is in inside (hooked up) storage in Orange County now about 15 miles away. So I don't know if mine is like yours but I suspect it is.

I am taking it to have some work done on Tuesday. Brakes, shocks, a small gear oil leak behind left tag wheel and the slide's new valves installed& trim repair. Also the Anti-sway bar removed. BTW, I just noticed on the P.O.'s past repair invoices dated in Nov'12 from Parliament that they just installed all new bushings in that anti-sway bar. In that same invoice, Parliament recommended that the muffler be changed due to its poor condition, so I was going to add it to the list. I was just trying to find the dimensions on it and thought I might try to find it and get some idea of its cost.

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
05-24-2013, 16:50 (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 16:51 by davidbrady.)
Congrats Chuck, that's one down! Smile

With your coach stored off premises and my coach stored off premises I have no choice but to get busy on my cloud remote monitoring and control!

I have brake shoe and drum part numbers. I'll dig them out for you. I noticed in one of your earlier pics that the sway bar bushings were new. That's one of the problems with the bar - it's so stiff you can't keep bushings in it.

You're muffler is definitely 6" and 86610M is definitely the correct number.

While you have it in the shop you might consider increasing the caster. I'm running 3 deg and 3.5 deg but having it bumped up has long been on my TODO list.

david brady,

05-24-2013, 17:49
That's what I've been told. It seems like the 6" stuff is harder to get hold of. So it seemed like a natural if you're redoing the entire system, why put back 6"? Why not just do everything in 5"?

John Mace
06 450LXi bigger bird
living in the wild hinterlands of the north
free to roam without the man getting me down
05-24-2013, 18:39 (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 19:08 by cmillsap.)
(05-24-2013 16:50)davidmbrady Wrote:  Congrats Chuck, that's one down! Smile

With your coach stored off premises and my coach stored off premises I have no choice but to get busy on my cloud remote monitoring and control!

I have brake shoe and drum part numbers. I'll dig them out for you. I noticed in one of your earlier pics that the sway bar bushings were new. That's one of the problems with the bar - it's so stiff you can't keep bushings in it.

You're muffler is definitely 6" and 86610M is definitely the correct number.

While you have it in the shop you might consider increasing the caster. I'm running 3 deg and 3.5 deg but having it bumped up has long been on my TODO list.

David,

Would this be the correct muffler? It appears that Cummins uses this muffler on some of their engines. Their part # is 86610M-10.

http://www.amazon.com/NELSON-GLOBAL-PROD...J127DJ5YXU

Thanks,
chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap
2000 LXi #2 S/S (Sold)
2004 M380 D/S (Sold)
2000 LXi #1 N/S (Sold
05-24-2013, 19:20 (This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 19:25 by davidbrady.)
(05-24-2013 17:49)Arcticdude Wrote:  Why not just do everything in 5"?

John, if you search Donaldson or Nelson they publish flow rates at specific back pressures for 5" and 6" mufflers. For a 500 HP Series-60 the 5" mufflers just don't measure up, for a 430 or 470 maybe. In a pinch they'd be fine, but 6" mufflers are readily available.

(05-24-2013 18:39)cmillsap Wrote:  Would this be the correct muffler? It appears that Cummins uses this muffler on some of their engines.

That's the muffler Chuck.

david brady,

05-25-2013, 18:07
I am going to that 6 inch muffler on my 8V92 next time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)